Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:32:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Two more trucks.  (Read 3966 times)

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
Two more trucks.
« on: January 25, 2008, 12:29:53 AM »

I picked up a couple more 1918 Ford Runabouts like the one I painted up before.  This two however will also be converted.  One will be a Pickup with a yellow body and bed and black fenders.  The other one will have a bigger wooden bed with tall sides.  I may even remove the back fender and push the wheels farther back if I think I can manage it.  The bigger truck will be grey and more heavily weathered with rust spots and more caked on mud.

I think I'll do the yellow truck first.

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Two more trucks.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 09:47:47 AM »
Are you growing these? :)  look forward to seeing the end results.

Offline UncleRhino

• Scientist
Two more trucks.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 01:56:31 PM »
What kind of wonderful place are you finding these?  I know at times the midwest can be a barren wasteland of gamer resources, but sheesh, I am not even real sure where Warsaw is...and I have combed and combed all the junk stores hereabouts and found....well...nothing

UncleRhino

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
Two more trucks.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 02:14:41 PM »
Quote from: "UncleRhino"
What kind of wonderful place are you finding these?  I know at times the midwest can be a barren wasteland of gamer resources, but sheesh, I am not even real sure where Warsaw is...and I have combed and combed all the junk stores hereabouts and found....well...nothing

UncleRhino

Warsaw is on the Lake of the Ozarks and Truman Lake on 65 hwy south of Sedelia.  It is a barren wasteland of gamer resources.  Well except that Hirst Arts is of course located in Sedelia but the game shop there is closed now.  I picked these up at one of the "Antique" shops that rents out space to sellers.  I think we have like 10 of them in the area.  I've always said the local economy is based on selling our old junk to people from KC and other places.  

BTW are you going to Recruits?

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
Two more trucks.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 01:22:56 AM »
Ok well I got the trucks all stripped and primed.  Today I started work on the yellow pickup.  

First I painted the body yellow.  This took several thin coats.  

Next I used a dark brown wash on the yellow areas.  

Then I highlighted the yellow areas.  

Finally I highlighted the black and added a few details.  I've decided to make the bed of the pickup out of wood so I'll make that next.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Two more trucks.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 01:44:29 AM »
Quote from: "Ironworker"

Warsaw is on the Lake of the Ozarks and Truman Lake on 65 hwy south of Sedelia.  It is a barren wasteland of gamer resources.  Well except that Hirst Arts is of course located in Sedelia but the game shop there is closed now.  I picked these up at one of the "Antique" shops that rents out space to sellers.  I think we have like 10 of them in the area.  I've always said the local economy is based on selling our old junk to people from KC and other places.  

Ironworker has learned a new skill!
Ironworker has learned Improved Scrounge!

They're awesome. I'm really impressed with your ability to pick these up and improve them.

(The next time your run by Sedelia, wave a salute at Hirst Arts for me.)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Two more trucks.
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 03:32:50 AM »
Cheers for these posts, the step by step pictures are really useful. :)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
Two more trucks.
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 08:32:07 PM »
Well made a simple truck bed out of basswood.  I left the gate off so I could load the back with different items depending on what I wanted.  

I'm going to stain it the same color at the stearing wheel.

Offline Torradas

• Librarian
    • http://meiatorrada.blogspot.com
Two more trucks.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 09:39:29 PM »
Inspiring! What is the maker? Lledo?

I admit though, from your initial description it was the heavily rusted one that stirred up my imagination - But that warm yellow with the brown wash works very very well :)

What colour did you use to highlight the black? Looks slightly greenish in tone (might be the photo) but it works very well.

Keep it up!
Torradas
"And Lo, thou shalt close your legs in a snapping action whence your miniature slips from your hand when you are painting. And the paint will be fresh, and your trousers will be soiled, but you will smile - because the mini was saved"
Book of Lead-a-Holics, 3:16

Offline scarabstudio

• Schoolboy
Two more trucks.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 10:47:34 PM »
Quote from: "Ironworker"
Quote from: "UncleRhino"

UncleRhino

BTW are you going to Recruits?

my town (Claremore,OK) has almost as many antique stores as it does churches.   one on every corner.  Also void of any gamerhavens unless you want to drive to the city...   now I must find some trucks for myself for future use

These trucks are really good, your whole pulp series is looking great! keep it coming
-ty
Well, I'm the seventh out of seven sons
My pappy was a pistol
I'm a son of a gun

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
Two more trucks.
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 04:08:19 AM »
Ok the yellow pickup is basically finished.  Here are a few shapshots.  

I'm pretty happy with it and I think it will make a nice addition to my games.