Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:43:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691056
  • Total Topics: 118367
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.156 Scots pike block painted  (Read 593445 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Yep. The studs are a pain in the arse to paint. I often shave them off.
I think someone calculated there was something like 13,000 possible permutations from the available horse parts and horse armour in the MMAA set... I've made up about 70 so far. I must admit, I still think Perry make far and away the best horse sculpts of anyone in 28mm. But even I'm getting a wee bit bored of them now.

Simon (Painterman) must have done about 200! I expect he could do with some more variety too  :)

I actually love painting horseflesh. But I loathe painting tack, manes and tails. So horses are a mixed blessing for me. Part pleasure, part chore. Funny, isn't it?  ;)

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist

I actually love painting horseflesh. But I loathe painting tack, manes and tails. So horses are a mixed blessing for me. Part pleasure, part chore. Funny, isn't it?  ;)

Yeah, that sounds about right!

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Yep. The studs are a pain in the arse to paint. I often shave them off.
I think someone calculated there was something like 13,000 possible permutations from the available horse parts and horse armour in the MMAA set... I've made up about 70 so far. I must admit, I still think Perry make far and away the best horse sculpts of anyone in 28mm. But even I'm getting a wee bit bored of them now.

Simon (Painterman) must have done about 200! I expect he could do with some more variety too  :)

I think the plastic horses are absolutely fantastic, truly wonderful, so realistic, cannot be beaten!!!!

But I haven't actually painted any of mine yet...  ::)

My new year's goal is to finally get round to painting cavalry. I have nearing 300 infantry right now, so it's about time... I have painted 6 of their metal horses for some command models and really enjoyed it actually, am very pleased with how they came out. Those are also very good sculpts (though irritatingly ever-so-much-smaller than the plastic ones).

I haven't painted the studs on the tack as metal, just kept them the same colour as everything else, and it works fine. I'll do the same on the plastics, and probably shave some of them off too. But I also don't paint the metal studs on the brigandine bodies, and think they look fine!

But seriously though, they are really excellent horse sculpts.

I just WISH they had some of the plastics (or some excuse to make some new ones) in standing and walking poses. I don't want all my cavalry galloping at all times! So it will be interesting to see if the HYW cavalry allow any such poses, and whether the horses will be easy to switch across ranges.

Offline IgnatiusO

• Assistant
What would seal the range for me is a box of halberdiers/pikemen, in good poses. The shouldered pikes / polearms in the mercenaries box are nice but obviously limited, and the bill / halberd arms in the WOTR box aren't the most useful for large ranked up units.... I'd love a box just for infantry with polearms in good natural poses, held in two hands, from upright to lowered and everything in between... The arms could be part of the bodies, with separate hands with weapons for different polearms and pikes. That would do it for me!

I agree with this!

I found myself looking at the ECW line, which has a variety of pike wielding poses, to see if you could fudge it. It looked unfeasible.

I did a bit of hacking at a pair of gun arms from the Mercenaries box and got what looks reasonable (likely only to me) as a pose with a pole arm. However it took the use of files, blades, and profanity to get it done. I still have to fill gaps now. It was a lot of work for something that probably doesn't justify the effort.
A MadKat at heart.

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist

Any rumors about upcoming Perry plastics for medievals?  Seems like there hasn't been much news at all about plastics from them though I think you mentioned they said at some point they would do Agincourt mounted knights.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Michael Perry did say that, but he didn't say when.
The Zulu War British infantry set is coming next. Beyond that, they've gone very quiet on the plastic pipeline... No doubt more Napoleonics and ACW will be coming along soon. And I'm sure we'll see a new set previewed at Salute... can't help thinking plastic Zulus have got to be on the cards, although plastic Pathans would be a more useful and versatile set for all sorts of things...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Michael Perry did say that, but he didn't say when.
The Zulu War British infantry set is coming next. Beyond that, they've gone very quiet on the plastic pipeline... No doubt more Napoleonics and ACW will be coming along soon. And I'm sure we'll see a new set previewed at Salute... can't help thinking plastic Zulus have got to be on the cards, although plastic Pathans would be a more useful and versatile set for all sorts of things...

I am thinking Zulus rather than pathans as think to get the multi pose possibilities with their flowing robes must be more problematic than semi naked zulus

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
I do not know why they would want to prioritise Zulus.  I think it would not make commercial sense.
Both Wargames Factory and Warlord have made plastic Zulus in the past few years.  I have painted about 150 of them.

I think the market for a new Zulu box would be very limited because if people want Zulus they already have "fausands of em".

Parthans would be no more difficult than Zouaves to mould and would be a new army in plastic.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 08:38:20 AM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Well, you say that Mick, but the same thing applies to Zulu War British infantry (already available in plastic), and the Perrys are about to release them.

Also - it's a matter of personal taste I know - but I think the Wargames Factory/Warlord Zulu War plastics are ropey in the extreme. Perry plastics on the other hand, are the best there are. I'm pretty sure Perry plastic ANYTHING will be a good seller. When quality manufacturers produce a product that's attractive enough, they will tempt all sorts of people into a new period that may previously have been holding off. Other will 'trade up' to the better product.
I think we'll see plastic Zulus from the Perrys sooner or later.

Anyway... Back on topic. Haven't done anything much with this thread for a year now. I'm slacking ::)
But I will get back to it one day soon  :)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
Well, you say that Mick, but the same thing applies to Zulu War British infantry (already available in plastic), and the Perrys are about to release them.

Also - it's a matter of personal taste I know - but I think the Wargames Factory/Warlord Zulu War plastics are ropey in the extreme. Perry plastics on the other hand, are the best there are. I'm pretty sure Perry plastic ANYTHING will be a good seller. When quality manufacturers produce a product that's attractive enough, they will tempt all sorts of people into a new period that may previously have been holding off. Other will 'trade up' to the better product.
I think we'll see plastic Zulus from the Perrys sooner or later.

Anyway... Back on topic. Haven't done anything much with this thread for a year now. I'm slacking ::)
But I will get back to it one day soon  :)

This is absolute truth.

I have hold off being any Zulu since they announced they were releasing it. I have painted some odd 100 Warlord Zulu so far. No more! Never again.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Tordenkuglen

• Bookworm
  • Tordenkuglen aka Thunderball
Holy Mother of smokes, thats pure art at its best, Im impressed :D lots of inspiration :D
Playing or wanting to play: FoW, Swordpoint, Saga, Donny Brook, Sharp Practice, Soldiers of God, Trafalgar, Check your Six, Hail Caesar, Pike n Shotte, Black Powder and much more. main interests in wargaming periods is between Iron and Black Powder.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
Oh Richard, sometimes I think your are the long lost third twin of the perrys: http://www.wargamesillustrated.net/british-infantry-zulu-war-1877-1881-by-perry-miniatures/

You always knew it before us simple food soldiers  ;)
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms - Scum of the earth, PAINTED! 27 March
« Reply #1707 on: September 30, 2018, 12:14:54 PM »
Oh dear... Nothing productive done on this thread for over 2 years, as other projects have stolen away my interest... But I am about to rekindle it one way or another. And to get the ball rolling, I've finally painted this random man-at-arms who has been sitting on the shelf (literally) gathering dust in his undercoated state for the last two years.

No wonder he looks cross...  ;)

I've gone for a slightly more battleworn, bashed-about look on the harness on this one... Grunge may be the new future (although I do still quite like my knights in armour to be shiny)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms - Scum of the earth, PAINTED! 27 March
« Reply #1708 on: September 30, 2018, 12:16:57 PM »
Grunge looks good but should't you be painting liveried retainers?
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.115! The project flickers into life
« Reply #1709 on: September 30, 2018, 12:17:58 PM »
Done it mate  ;)
See my other medieval thread - updating shortly!  :D