Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 01:37:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Best choice for 28mm Rules?  (Read 7402 times)

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
    • SBMiniguys Blog for all things OstFront
Re: Best choice for 28mm Rules?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2012, 11:27:40 PM »
I do have a question about Nuts....how does the same side games work? Say you and a friend are both Germans against US....what is the mechanic to running the other side? Just a general idea, sounds interesting.

Thanks also for the feedback....here is what I am looking for is a solid ruleset with a good amount of variety (such as not just stuck with US/German/Russian factions) and some choices on vehicles/troop types as well as plenty of missions or ability to build missions/scenarios up.

There's a great system in NUTS for running co-op or solo games using their chart-driven "AI" that determines how the enemy forces operate. You use markers representing a "Potential Enemy Force" on the table, which move according to a die roll balanced against the type of scenario. Once you come within LOS of that marker you roll to resolve what it is, and how it will act -- will it attempt to close, hang back and fire, etc. And given the reaction system used by NUTS, each figure in that unit will act/react based on that. I'm currently involved in a PTO game set on Guadalcanal where 4x players are all on the USMC side against the chart-driven "AI" for the Japanese, and we still have some challenging scenarios. Doesn't replace another active brain, but it works well.

There's also a good mission generation and table top terrain generator in the rules, so you can spin your own campaigns very easily. So far the books out there cover ETO and PTO from 1941-1945, with unit/equipment listings for US, UK/Commonwealth, Germany, Japan, China, Italy, Soviet Union, Finland, Hungary, Romania and I think a few others. Lots of meat in the system -- you can run Soviet Aerosans, Italian Cavalry, German Panzers, do Airborne drops, have your gunboats shoot their way up the Danube, just about anything you can think of is covered across the various books.
Play the game, not the players!
http://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
Author for THW/NUTS, Rebel Minis, HR Games

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2012, 09:44:57 AM »
I like Nuts! however, the troop lists are a joke. It is clearly so that they where made with little to none knowledge, but with some tweaking it can be made to work. The game systems core mechanics are fun though, and great for some co-op gaming and solo play.
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead Painters League Winner
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2012, 10:26:59 AM »
I've never managed to get the reaction system in the THW rules working, too many situations cause trouble and I don't like the need to come up with custom solutions for the main rules every few moves. I also think it makes the game too defensive.

My favourite choices for W2 gaming are Victory Decitions and Rules of Engagement. Both sets are very nice and actually work on the table.

Offline Kieffer

• Bookworm
  • Sky Marshal
    • Petites figurines pour grandes batailles
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2012, 11:16:31 AM »
Here in our small part of France, we have played Rules of Engagement and quickly moved to Disposable Heroes.
Rules of Engagement is too static and we didn't appreciate the IGO-UGO sequence.
We prefer the alterned activations of Disposable Heroes.
The only problem for Disposable Heroes is that some rulebooks are now only available on PDF.

I am waiting for a Finnish rulebook for Victory Decision (buyed from day one) to give it a try with my friend which play german paratroopers.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2012, 02:28:29 PM »
I found someone on a group here in Tampa that has DH and offered to let me try a game out to see if I like it...
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline eketar

• Schoolboy
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2012, 12:23:05 PM »
I used to use RoE, but now use an adapted version of Force on Force. The Orders of Battle from RoE are quite useful at giving a guideline for a force though.