Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:52:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My First Quar!  (Read 4280 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
My First Quar!
« on: January 29, 2008, 12:03:59 AM »
Well I had to paint these little beasties as soon as I got them, they are lovely sculpts full of character.

Now it was a test figures as they are very fine minitures and my usual technique with oils wouldnt work (for me anyway) so I have tried to layer paint them. Plus there is a poor light it being around midnight here :lol:

to the right of the figure is the Yakker MCP (mobile Comand Posts) Used by the Yakkers once deployed to the Desert regions on colonial peace keeping missions (PS. Thanks Trooper for the tip on the shirt  :) )

[/img]

[/img]

Offline Arcticman

• Scientist
My First Quar!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 12:14:04 AM »
:D There you go making me interested in something completely different!

Nice work.  8)

And the paintwork on the Yakker is stunning too.

I have to read up on the Quar. He looks like a WWI Aussie anteater in that uniform.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
My First Quar!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 12:26:03 AM »
Thanks Arcticman, I am basing the Quar on Troopers Brits :mrgreen: as the uniform style is similar in that it seems to be shirtsleeve order and a tin hat with trousers and puttees.

The Dino is an old Void miniatures I had lying around (poriginally for my Kroot) I hadded a few bits and pieces of stowage, the basket is for PYKPYK (Messenger Squirrels)

and a rack of mortar bombs to boot :)

Offline Trencher

• Scientist
My First Quar!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 05:49:26 AM »
Interesting approach to the Quar uniform and a very good conversion of the gwagenaer (=vehiclequar). I never considered using old Void miniatures although this is so headslappingly obvious. Excellent work - keep it up!
 :mrgreen:
TANK POLO? God, how our gardener hated that game!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
My First Quar!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 06:41:34 AM »
Quote from: "Trencher"
Interesting approach to the Quar uniform and a very good conversion of the gwagenaer (=vehiclequar). I never considered using old Void miniatures although this is so headslappingly obvious. Excellent work - keep it up!
 :mrgreen:

Thanks Trencher, Gwagenaer- an excellent name :)

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
My First Quar!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 12:29:33 PM »
Brilliant work! I would never have thought that old Void workhorse (worklizard?) had any life in him, but you've done a great job with him. The stowage bits on his howdah really make him look "lived in" and there's great weathering on the command post.

Obviously your conversion job is inspired. I'm amazed how great that gwagenaer body looks with the Bogen and soft hat. Excellent choice of paints, too!

If you're looking for a location to deploy him, I think we've designated the eastern regions of Kryst to be arid and desert.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
My First Quar!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 01:32:47 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
Brilliant work! I would never have thought that old Void workhorse (worklizard?) had any life in him, but you've done a great job with him. The stowage bits on his howdah really make him look "lived in" and there's great weathering on the command post.

Obviously your conversion job is inspired. I'm amazed how great that gwagenaer body looks with the Bogen and soft hat. Excellent choice of paints, too!

If you're looking for a location to deploy him, I think we've designated the eastern regions of Kryst to be arid and desert.

Many thanks Pete, Eastern Kryst - consider them deploying as we speak :D

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
My First Quar!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 01:58:33 PM »
Looking great, the beastie looks great with them too :)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
My First Quar!
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 03:05:13 PM »
Quote from: "Col.Stone"
Looking great, the beastie looks great with them too :)

Thanks Col. they are fun to paint and beautifully sculpted, have to say I havent found figures where they spark the imagination as much as these do :lol:

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
My First Quar!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 03:08:58 PM »
Great looking figures.  :)  Excuse my ignorance of the subject matter, but what are you going to pitch them up against?
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
My First Quar!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 03:13:55 PM »
Quote from: "Malamute"
Great looking figures.  :)  Excuse my ignorance of the subject matter, but what are you going to pitch them up against?

Well I hadnt thought about that really :D though they are fighting the Long War and as such would fight other factions of Quar. You must read the fluff and background on the zombiesmith site (some produced by Mr Murray from this erswhiel forum) .

I think I will use them for anything and everything, after all they are Tech wise WW1 so could be used for that, WW2 or even colonials. That said I fancy "Afghanising" some Kroot as possible desert adversaries.

My Mate is painting some Eureka Frogs so perhaps they could be another Native tribe that needs bringing under the Empire :lol:  and or possibly some Dino hunting...lol

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
My First Quar!
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 03:29:12 PM »
Officially, the Quar only fight each other.

They do appear in the 5150 alien species book, and so far that's their only separate appearance. Otherwise people use them for all sorts of things, Imperial Guardsmen being the most common, it seems. I'm planning to use mine as a sort of colonial force, like the Gurkhas, and not having anyone ask why a bunch of diminutive bipedal anteaters are wandering around Bishkek with the Royal Devonshire.

Offline headzombie

• Bookworm
    • http://www.zombiesmith.com
My First Quar!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 06:27:56 PM »
Lately I've been getting a lot of hits from some back end of the nethers or somesuch, so I thought I'd come check it out to see what all the fuss was.

Hi all!

I'll say on this forum too: love the conversions above!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
My First Quar!
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 09:45:38 PM »
I just had to post this, not only do you get great figures with the Zombiesmith Quar but you also have some serious prose added to spur you on  :mrgreen:  from Mr Murray;

The soldiers of Kryst have two famous euphemisms: The sun was in his eyes and delayed by contrary weather. These phrases spend quite a bit of time in each other's company.

Gharl Oasis was one of the Army's resupply points, its spring-fed pool neatly concealed in the rocks of the outcroppings. Imagine yourself as one of the vultures of the desert, spiraling high above the subtle brown land. Beneath you is a small handful of soldiers resting under a tarpaulin in the shade, and a short distance away, a great lizard is breathing loudly and slowly, clearly asleep, its howdah unpacked but still in place.

There is a staff car approaching - kicking up roostertails of tan dust until it slides to a stop. A very junior is-Caerten leaps from the passenger seat and marches over to the group. As we shall shortly learn, he has the sun in his eyes

"Why aren't you in position?" he yells in a voice cracking with self-importance and barely-reached adulthood.

The senior Yawdryl sighs heavily, rises and salutes. "We were delayed by contrary weather."

"But there's nothing wrong with the weather! There's not a gust of wind, nor a cloud in the sky!"

"Yes, sir, and that is the problem. The lizard has fallen asleep."

"Well, wake it!"

"That is... not so easy, sir."

The junior is-Caerten will not accept anything less than movement at this point. He has been trusted by HQ with the sacred duty to see why this lizard and its radios are not in position. No knot of soldiers, no matter how grumbling or reluctant, no matter how dusty their uniforms, nor the fact that they have worn creosote around their eyes long enough that it no longer comes off entirely, none of this will stop him.

With shouting from the is-Caerten, the howdah is loaded. But the lizard slumbers on, oblivious. Then the is-Caerten turns to shout at the lizard. He orders the men to shout at the lizard, to strike it with goads and to yank on its harness. The lizard wakes, and regards them with an ancient obstinacy. The lizard does not care about HQ and timetables.

Our buzzard-watcher flies away, observing two things. First, an officer who did not have the sun in his eyes understands that sometimes in the desert, "delayed by contrary weather" has a great many meanings, not all of them apparent to an officer with the sun in his eyes.

Now that is some seriously fantastic writing :)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
My First Quar!
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 09:55:30 PM »
Marvellous writing, but what was the second thing?
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino