Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:01:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690581
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 645
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone Painted Quar on the Forum - Update: plastic Quar in 2023  (Read 9108 times)

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
Re: Anyone Painted Quar on the Forum
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2022, 03:01:29 PM »
The Quar are back? Cool, missed out them the first time around.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2022, 05:03:58 PM »
I have the Miyazaki Akuyaku tank kit unbuilt.
Ah yes, I think that was the "close inspiration" for the Warzone Bauhaus Grizzly tank wasn't it? :)

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Anyone Painted Quar on the Forum - Update: plastic Quar in 2023
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2022, 05:19:44 PM »
I have a long stalled Quar project so this is great news, can't wait for this to come to fruition. :)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2022, 05:48:38 PM »
Ah yes, I think that was the "close inspiration" for the Warzone Bauhaus Grizzly tank wasn't it? :)
If by close inspiration, you mean Warzone ripped it off wholesale, yes.  :D
I had no idea of the connection when I first saw the warzone tank.  A FLGS had one of the resin models back in the 90s when I first got into wargaming.  Wanted it so bad, but it was far outside my price range.  Luckily over a decade later the Akuyaku kit was rereleased and IIRC it was fairly affordable for a while.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2022, 09:42:00 AM »
The Quar is one of those ranges I've been aware of for a while but I've never picked any up...seeing them in hard plastic could well change that. A boxed game sounds cool and I like the look of the sprues, 3 minis for each side on each sprue with a range of option, nice!
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2022, 10:42:48 AM »
I dont know how wargame atlantic is run these days, they seem all over the place at times but boy if it is giving us things like plastic quar? I can only applaud it. I will say that for me, the quar are best in small scales, their heads are quite featureless so that translates well and the extra cuteness factor is just great for them... I should get some in 6mm sometime.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2022, 11:56:56 AM »
Excellent news, always loved the look but never bought them before. But with these plastic miniatures I will certainly pick some up.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline lord marcus

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2022, 06:50:32 PM »
I see plastic Croftyans in my future.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2022, 07:07:43 PM »
I had quite a few 25mm Quar awhile ago, but gave up as they were just too fiddly to assemble.  Does anyone know if the 15mm Quar are one piece castings?

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2022, 08:22:10 AM »
Interested, especially how much they'll cost in the UK.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2022, 11:29:44 AM »
I wonder how many sprues there will be the boxed game...there are 3 troopers for each faction on a sprue so maybe 5 sprues for a small skirmish game or 10 sprues for 30 per side?

I guess it depends on the scale of warfare for the game and if there will be any other sprues / unit types.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2022, 01:32:28 PM »
I wonder how many sprues there will be the boxed game...there are 3 troopers for each faction on a sprue so maybe 5 sprues for a small skirmish game or 10 sprues for 30 per side?

I guess it depends on the scale of warfare for the game and if there will be any other sprues / unit types.

I believe this quote is from the Zombiesmith Facebook page….

“Hey all! So hopefully by now, you’ve seen the news that we have partnered with Wargames Atlantic to bring hard plastic Quar in 2023!

The first hard plastic release will be a box set that will include a squad of Coftyrans and a squad of Crusaders (plus a couple of extra models), skirmish rules to use them with and some other bits and bobs for play. This will be a new version of Rhyfler’s Pocketbook that has been updated with a new shooting mechanic that makes a gun game more dynamic by rewarding movement and positioning so not everyone turtles up. (Ooo… I need to design the Quar equivalent of a shelled amphibian…)

Wargames Atlantic will be selling models/sprue/frames separate from the main box set if all goes to plan as well. Hudson and I have also discussed future hard plastic sets, so if these do well they will be followed with more.

Along with the releasing of hard plastics from Wargames Atlantic, I’ll be releasing new Crusaders and Coftyrans to go with them. The first month will be is-Caertens and Caertens (Officers) followed by light machine gunners and sharpshooters in the following months. And yes, the tractors are back in 28mm too. I’ll sprinkle in some arm sets and other bits to customize the plastic kits as well. I have 5-6 months of 28mm releases ready and Anthony is busily painting them for the site as I type. The first of these will drop alongside the plastics. Date TBD!

The infantry models released by Zombiesmith will be combinations of metal, siocast hard resin and some printed parts here and there. The tractors will be high-quality resin 3d prints (not FDM) and they look great. I’ll share some pics in the coming weeks. Although if you are in the Quar Facebook group and scroll down you’ll see some pictures of them back when I was prototyping them in 28mm.

These new Quar are around the same height as the first generation of Quar. The new ones are a little thicker than the old as I’ve gone a little more whimsical with them. The metal ones aren’t going away and some of the new stuff I’m working on will work with both generations of Quar. I’ll most likely need to boost the cost of the metal ones in the coming months, as you all know metal went nuts for a while and is back down, some, but I’m not relying on that to continue.”
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2022, 07:30:27 PM »
...& the cost will be????????

Is there an official form to join "Friends of Matakishi" or do we just form an orderly queue now ?
I'll join that queue. :D

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2022, 07:49:11 PM »
Thanks Grumpy Gnome! Sounds good and some conversion kits for the plastics makes a lot of sense.

The first hard plastic release will be a box set that will include a squad of Coftyrans and a squad of Crusaders (plus a couple of extra models), skirmish rules to use them with and some other bits and bobs for play.

Looking on the Zombiesmith website at the current skirmish starters there are 6 minis per starter so I assume we'll get 2 sprues of minis then. The extra models could be some sort of objective or civilians maybe? Sounds like it could be a tidy little set. No idea what the current rules are like but that's an easy fix if not to my fancy. As some have said it could be a good set for using with the kids yet with plenty of scope for expansion.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2022, 05:31:27 AM »
Always loved them and have a bunch, they seemed to have died off but in reality they were always there. In the early days what I could not get I made my self  the plastics might be good for that  http://bandit86.blogspot.com/search/label/Quar
They were fun to build and  (they had a great song competition I did not win :( but my song was printed as the centerfold of one of the books, and I even have a Quar named after me.  The Quar have always been a passion of mine I just love the little guys.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/