Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:30:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689617
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ghost recon game ideas - help needed  (Read 3831 times)

Offline soulman

• Bookworm
Ghost recon game ideas - help needed
« on: May 13, 2012, 04:38:17 PM »
Hello all and thanks for taking the time in reading

I planing to design a ghost recon, or call of duty style game for the tabletop. I have the damage ideas down and its all based around a D6.

What i like to nail down the abilities on the soldiers and then i can move on from there.

I`m wanting about 4 to 6 abilites only.

So the choice is

Move  - In inches
Combat  - Fighting ( could be used in tests, ie. (combat Vs combat)
Training  - How well trained, Awareness, skill
Experience  - Real under fire experience, morale or suppression tests
Body   - Taking damage

Other option could be (based on)

Defence - Dodging attacks used in its a system based on two abilites ie/ Attack (Combat) Vs Defence

Guts (Experience)
skill (Training)
Bravery (Experience)

As you can see some do fall under the headings or Training or Experience.

Rules can be simple roll under ability to hit, or can be one of two abilities are pitted against each other like Combat Vs Combat, or Attack Vs Defence.

Your feelings please based on the little information i have shared today.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Ghost recon game ideas - help needed
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 04:53:09 PM »
Check out Akula`s Battlefield bad company game, there are some similarities with that for combat etc

http://akulasbattlefield.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 08:49:34 PM »
I'd have to say add 'Marksmanship' or 'Weapons Training' as distinct from Combat (i.e. hand to hand)... 'Field Craft' instead of training and experience, which could be combined if you think about it. 'Leadership' is another factor I would include too (ability to give/take orders, actual rank, ability to inspire comrades, work in a team etc.). 'Reaction Speed' is another possible, which relies on personal skills and learnt skills.

Bravery is quite subjective really and depends on the man, the situation and the possible outcomes, otherwise it's a thin line between 'hero' and 'that sucker who's going to get us all killed trying for a medal'.   

You could always go for four basic base line skills and supplement them with an additional two random 'specialities' or 'perks', which could be positives or negatives, i.e. 'poor weapons training', 'Ranger School Graduate', 'coward at heart' and whatever else you can think of.

Good Luck!  :)

Offline soulman

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 09:20:45 PM »
Thanks indeed for the input and labels... i guess it looks like this at the moment

Trained soldier

Reactions: 4"
Marksmanship: 4+
Weapon training: 4+
Fieldcraft: 4+
Leadership: 4+
Health: 2 points  ( My damage system ideas )

Thats 6 stats, and handles all the things, for morale and bravery, being pinned under fire etc, will fall under Leadership as a "all in one ability". Hope thats sounds ok, but i like the choice of Labels... Thanks mate.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 09:55:43 PM »
You're welcome... I quite like that you're concentrating on the man and not the weapon he carries btw.

:)

Offline soulman

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 10:30:12 PM »
Thank you so much for the kind words. I love playing around with game ideas, keeps the brain fresh. I have just today come up with a damage system that i like. The advanced options is about the health points, so you need to keep track of each man. For larger games etc the basic system is a simple you are just alive -  wounded or dead. And the two can be mixed, like the end battle of tears of the sun etc...

Weapons being a D6 system you cannot add too much, but weapons have up to two traits extra, and anything likes scopes or weapon upgrades add extra inches to the range. So a M4 assault rifle would have a range of say 20" or 25" with a red dot scope, the trait would be BURST, meaning 2D6 attack up to 10", and 1D6 up to 25"

The back up 92F pistol has a range of 10" and the trait is AIM meaning  to use a extra action will give you a 10" extra range. The reason for extra range is because with a D6 system even a +1 is a bug step. So anything to add aim, lower recoil, and help the user becomes range. A lovely example i saw today was in the film captain america, the germans was in the cab and at long range. She aimed and the shot took out the driver... Only though aiming to she have a chance... thats the way i see it. Well time to watch a film. thanks for today and i will aways share if you like. its been a pleasure...

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 02:12:30 AM »
Soulman:

I actually have the game you're looking for coming out this week.  :D You can check out the preview if you like. It essentially takes the modern first and third person shooter experience and translates it onto the tabletop.

'HAVOC... it's okay to wreak a little!'    <a href="http://www.bombshell-games.com/>bombshell games[/url]

Offline soulman

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 10:17:31 AM »
Well thats a bombshell..!!!!  thanks indeed and i will keep a eye out. Nice to meet people with the same ideas, drives and passion...Lock and Load. By the way myself i loved ghost recon future soldier beta.. my best shooter experience ever.....

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 01:19:40 PM »
Check out Akula`s Battlefield bad company game, there are some similarities with that for combat etc

http://akulasbattlefield.blogspot.co.uk/

Yep, use these, they'll effectively what's suggested but already done.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 01:29:57 PM »

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 08:47:58 PM »
Well thats a bombshell..!!!!  thanks indeed and i will keep a eye out. Nice to meet people with the same ideas, drives and passion...Lock and Load. By the way myself i loved ghost recon future soldier beta.. my best shooter experience ever.....

Agreed. The pacing and teamwork in Future Soldier is done very well. If you do pick up The Battlefield, then make sure to use the extra features in the Black Ops section since you're a Ghost Recon fan. Oh, and by the way, Onslaught plays very much like the new Guerillas mode in Ghost Recon- something to think about! ;)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 03:38:33 PM »
link to Bad:rse the rules left hand corner of blog

http://akulasrules.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/bad-arse-modern-skirmish-rules-now.html

Cheers all.

FREE to download - if you like the rules, feel free to make a donation to Combat Stress - its entirely voluntary though, and you don't need to to get hold of he rules.

8)