Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:20:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1/600 scale Confederate Warships  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Mad Padre

• Bookworm
    • Mad Padre Wargames
1/600 scale Confederate Warships
« on: May 22, 2012, 09:15:26 PM »
Both these models are 1/600 scale ships from Thoroughbred Models, for an ACW campaign I am running by email and set in Mississippi with a riverine component.  I had a great experience with proprietor Toby Barrett, who shipped my order promptly and without hassles.   The models are finely sculpted pewter and quite lovely.   Here is TS13 Confederate Cottonclad (River Ram & Gunboat) taking to the water as the CSS Maccabbee in my campaign.

Close behind is model TS75 CSS Missouri (Western River Ironclad) in its campaign role as the CSS Joshua, the flagship of the small armada protecting the fictional river city of Bluffsburg.   Just a little bit of rust on the casemate, especially around the seams and gunports.

For the bases I used thin plasticard, painted green as per this video showing two fine fellows cruising on the Kentucky River:

For the smoke I used steel wool, spray painted black, over a bit of paperclip, the end of which was glued into holes drilled into the funnels.  My technique with the Dremel tool was none too steady, I fair came close to wrecking the funnels and had to quickly repair them.  I think I need to try a hand held pin vise in future.  My wife asked me a very good question, are these ships buring coal or wood?  If wood, she thought the smoke would be whiter.  Coal, I hastily answered.  They're burning coal.  I am not entirely sure what coal supplies would have been on the Mississippi, especially for the CS, so I hope I'm right.

The bow waves and churned water by the paddlewheels and at the stern were made using Golden brand artist's moulding paste.  I see I slopped a little onto the side of the Joshua, I'll have to go back and retouch that.  I tried to be sparing, but I think I caught the sense of movement through the water.

So these are the first ship models I've built and painted in ages.   There are some more ships on the slipways for the Union, and they should appear here soon. Anchors aweigh, y'all!

Cheers, MIke

http://www.madpadrewargames.blogspot.com