Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WAB Age of Arthur Font?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
WAB Age of Arthur Font?
« on: June 02, 2012, 05:28:50 PM »
Can anyone identify the font used on the cover of the WAB Age of Arthur supplement, or a close approximation to it? Any ideas gratefully received.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Re: WAB Age of Arthur Font?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 05:40:29 PM »
Looks to me like an upper-case version of 'Insular' (which is a script, not a typeface, because I'm talking about calligraphy here).

Talking the wiki as a basis, it looks like it might be the script called 'Caroline' here (which I thought was 'Carolingian' but hey-ho): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insular_script

Or possibly 'Uncial'.

As to what typeface would approximate it... checking right now.

EDIT:

OK, the closest typefaces I have are called 'Mael', 'Sherwood' and 'Stonehenge'. They're all on my version of Word. I have no idea how to save a Word doc in such a way that you can access it here; but if you have them, check them out as being approximations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaelic_type might also be a place to start some research.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 06:10:18 PM by Red Orc »

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 06:06:04 PM »
Red Orc,

you're a gent, sir. Thank you very much.

M

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 06:19:31 PM »
You're welcome.

I also found this discussion of 'Northumbrian typography' that might have info that's useful to you,m being as it is a discussion of and links to various typefaces approximating to the Lindesfarne Gospels... and since once upon a time, York was the capital of Northumbria, and therefore Geordies, Yorkshiremen and Northumbrians were once fellow-countrymen, I thought it might be of interest: http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=89164

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 07:20:22 PM »
Red Orc, via the discussion you posted, I've found a font called Aniron, which seems to be very, very close indeed. Many thanks!

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 10:25:46 PM »
I don't think you'll find an exact match, as I recall Rob Broom telling me that each book title was individually designed - but it sounds like you've found a pretty close approximation.  Are you planning a reprint, now that Warhammer Historical has finally died? :)

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 09:59:39 AM »
I don't think you'll find an exact match, as I recall Rob Broom telling me that each book title was individually designed - but it sounds like you've found a pretty close approximation.  Are you planning a reprint, now that Warhammer Historical has finally died? :)

Reprint? Not me, guvnor! Aniron is a sufficiently close match for my purposes, which are mainly to make things I make myself look the way I want. Cheers for the help, all.

M