Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 02:46:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696804
  • Total Topics: 118794
  • Online Today: 508
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for some halfling ideas  (Read 5431 times)

Offline airbornegrove26

• Mad Scientist
Looking for some halfling ideas
« on: June 03, 2012, 04:32:04 AM »
Gentlemen looking for some advice.  I have recently gotten into warhammer 3E and have got the idea of building a small force of halflings (500pts).  I am looking for some allied units to fill them out.  I have been thinking of ogres probably foundry orcs to stand in.  However I feel ogres is a go to for everyone.  I would like to do something differen.  So all thoughts or advice welcome no matter what race or how crazy. 

Offline Laughing Ferret

• Scientist
    • Laughing Ferret Lab Hobby Blog
Re: Looking for some halfling ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 05:14:35 AM »
why not dwarves? from The Hobbit, it seemed like dwarves were not a completely uncommon site in the shire,they'd make natural trading partners, so makes sense dwarves would come to the aid of halflings in war too.

or tree-people? Fangorn suspected that the ent wives might have gone to the shire- so what if they did? could have small & kindly tree creatures as allies.

or minotaurs? but instead of blood thirsty bulls, what about ones more like domesticated cattle?

and you should get a Cocklegriff!  ;)

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=42370.0
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:20:38 AM by Laughing Ferret »
"If History teaches us anything, it is that people don't really learn from history."

Hobby Pledge 2014: Bought: .  Painted: . (Pure hobby: no commissions included)
Hobby Blog is here: http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/
Commission Studio is here: http://www.laughingferretstudio

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 08:33:37 AM »
In the Warhammer World the haflings are part of the Empire. So usually you would see them as an auxiliary formation in a human army. In your case you might just turn that around and have a human militia force help the haflings - obviously the human lords won't sent their knights to serve under hafling command.

If you want to get away from the warhammer background, why not use a fairy folk or even wood elves as supporters?
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 08:44:10 AM »
I remember a Citadel Journal with a Halfling army list with tons of funny ideas, housewives regiments, poultry swarms, hero on swan, etc.
I would say it was for 5th edition rules, but you can get a lot of inspiration from this, I remember was full of pictures wwith tons of conversions.
Dont remember exactly the issue, should it be around issue #35.

edit: just found this link (i would say it's the blog of a LAFers comrade) http://halflinghouse.blogspot.com.es/2012/01/halfling-army-list-citadel-journal-36.html
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:47:48 AM by Donpimpom »

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 09:07:45 AM »
I'd say start by telling us what range of halflings you will be using so we can make suggestions based on the look and feel of the figures. :)

Offline Hubbynz

• Scientist
    • Halfling House
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 11:26:56 AM »
In my opinion old skool Citadel Ogres (especially the Marauder ones) and giants would be a perfect ally for halflings to give them some heavy hitting power.

If you keep an eye on White Knights range he will be releasing enough mulitpose halfling types to field an entire army of Empire themed halflings with spear/sword/musket and cross bow units so it will no longer be difficult to source an entire halfling army.

The halflings will be just like these but with halfling heads

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 11:36:38 AM »
Stampeding flaming pigs for that barbecue as you battle feel?

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 02:10:21 PM »
You could do worse than have a gander at this halfling army...   :o

Offline Hubbynz

• Scientist
    • Halfling House

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 03:52:44 PM »
That halfling steam-tank is awesome:-*

Offline airbornegrove26

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 04:25:03 PM »
I will be using oop citadel halfling archers, and probably a unit of halfling spearmen from battleforge.  With the the odd copplestone hobbit to use as a champion.  After giving your suggestions some thought I am leaning towards maybe a a woodelf......who leads a unit of scarecrows that he brought to life from the halfling fields.  I also like the idea of beastme nmaybe, and will probably be using some lead adventure pigs.  They are to cool.  Any more thoughts welcome though as these ideas aren't 100%.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 04:30:15 PM »
Well, scarecrows is not a bad idea and would be original, you could have a harvest theme for them. Lots of scarecrows and pumpkin men available from various sources: Rapier Miniatures, Fiendish Fabrications, RAFM, Foundry, Westwind, Ral Partha, ...

Edit: can't find the Fiendish Fabrication ones on their website now, but they are/were good.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 04:35:07 PM by white knight »

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 05:49:38 PM »
 Crooked Dice have some scarecrows too which may be of use.Monolith designs had some too.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 05:58:45 PM »
I will be using oop citadel halfling archers, and probably a unit of halfling spearmen from battleforge.  With the the odd copplestone hobbit to use as a champion.  After giving your suggestions some thought I am leaning towards maybe a a woodelf......who leads a unit of scarecrows that he brought to life from the halfling fields.  I also like the idea of beastme nmaybe, and will probably be using some lead adventure pigs.  They are to cool.  Any more thoughts welcome though as these ideas aren't 100%.

Just a thought... are you planning on buying the battleforge 1st or 2nd edition halflings?  I have some of the 1st edition ones, and the sculpting is pretty rough, especially compared to the citadel ones.  Pretty different style.  That and the size varies lots from small to larger than a dwarf.  I have not seen the 2nd ed halflings in the flesh, but they are pretty steep in price for just a few poses.

If I were you I would wait for the WK halfing heads to be released to go on the goblin bodies - will probably work out cheaper or as expensive as 2nd ed battleforge halflings, but will likely be much prettier and be multipart for nice customizability.  (Another shameless WK plug...)
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 06:33:46 PM »
I got my Copplestone halflings directly from the man himself - just email him. Not the cheapest, but I do like them. Some of his other sculpts are still available from em4, I think.

Here's how little I've managed on them so far:

http://geeklydigest.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/cracking-wip-1.html