Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:32:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Command group figures with sashes  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Command group figures with sashes
« on: February 07, 2008, 01:15:25 PM »
Many of the command group figures from various ranges for the ECW, WSS etc. are wearing sashes, typically over the shoulder. I'm just wondering what the significance of these were, and if they were solely a military thing. I'd like to use many of these figures as armed (non-military) gentlemen in Gloire, so I'm curious if the sashes would complicate things.

I know sashes are a staple part of military regalia in more recent times; I'm just wondering how it was back then.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 01:21:14 PM »
Sometimes the sash was the only uniform worn by the officers, as they'd be in a combination of high-end clothing and buffcoat normally. You really do see them as designating officers, even in the remote frontiers. Sashes were uniforms of a sort. Sometimes they weren't anything more than badges of a faction or cause. Sometimes they were part of the regalia of orders of knighthood and you wore them at court for special occasions.

Would they ruin the illusion of being an armed civilian? Possibly not. A well-devoted musketeer might choose to indicate his loyalty to the king even when he's not on guard at the Hotel de Treville or Louvre. Plus if you're walking around with a sword, sometimes it's advisable to advertise the circumstances under which you're willing to use it.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 01:53:06 PM »
Thanks, I'll go ahead and use a few of these models with care. I suppose they can also be converted into particularly fancy-looking baldrics without much trouble.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 01:58:17 PM »
Certainly in England, during the ECW There tended to be factional with Red and Blue being commonplace 9some times for either faction) and tawny orange for Parliamentarians. To civilianise them you might want to make them many coloured or put gold (as in gold thread) into the paint work to signify wealth or standing.