Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:04:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: EotD adaptable to Southwest 1840's?  (Read 2737 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
EotD adaptable to Southwest 1840's?
« on: July 02, 2012, 09:01:27 PM »
Given my terrain in 25/28 mm scale is all Southwest USA/North Mexico I try to keep my small unit/skirmish game sin that setting.  It helps to have Zorro/Peons/Presidials/Soldados de Cuera/Banditos/Vaqueros to do this in several boxes...

I do have Chaos in Carpathia to use/modify for Gothic Horror games but would look at EotD if it was easily modifiable to a different setting (and SW North America 1840 is pretty different from Victorian London.)

So.  What are your thoughts on converting EotD to a setting in North Mexico/SW USA setting?  Easy?  Worth considering?  Insane?

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Re: EotD adaptable to Southwest 1840's?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 09:13:27 PM »
Why the hell not, give in a tex-mex flavour and all's good.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 09:16:33 PM »
It's "kinda" defeatist - one of its "big things" is its setting, you could play it in any setting but its "flavour" would be gone.

There are no special characters in the core book, so thats not an issue - although the Vampires and Werewolves are heavily European, the Gentlemen's Clubs are British/Austrian/Carpathian themed - all would have to be "re-skinned" to fit the new setting.

The Brotherhood can be any religious faction (it says so in the book) so you can happily use whatever miniatures you want without affecting the fluff.

The Scenarios would have to be re-skinned too as would some of the events/influences (you can't be "rescued by the Peelers" for example).

Of the Special Characters from "Gentlemen and Jackanapes" - some aren't practical outside of the Core Setting really, Cedric Hyde for example (being a simple-minded child) would be doubtful when it comes to traveling to far afield (plus he wasn't born in 1840 LoL).

Quite a lot of work really.

UPON saying that the system itself is very straight forward, and easy to pick up and play.

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 09:53:34 PM »
As today, there were ex-pats (fleeing European "nobles" who just happen to be Vampires?) in Mexico...

But your point may well be valid.

Have to see how CiC converts to the setting first it seems.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 10:09:42 PM »
Theres nothing stopping you putting the effort in, I just wanted to give you as much information as possible (if that makes sense) - rather than you spending your hard earned dosh first.

If you can get a look at a rulebook before buying - it might give you more insight!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 10:13:04 PM »
Very true but I will have to find someone local who has it.  No see, no buy when it comes to rules more so than miniatures.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 10:31:43 PM »
My copy was a gift from the Mrs because (and I quote) "it's almost like it was written with you in mind" LoL!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 10:35:29 PM »
My copy was a gift from the Mrs because (and I quote) "it's almost like it was written with you in mind" LoL!

Always nice to be recognized... except in a police line-up...

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 10:48:43 PM »
It's "kinda" defeatist - one of its "big things" is its setting, you could play it in any setting but its "flavour" would be gone.

I think I mentioned in an earlier topic that this is not actually the perspective of one of the game's authors as seen in the Anatoli's Game Room interview. In fact, the game--and especially the scenarios--were designed to be able to flex into other settings.

The problem I see with the era you suggest is that the firearms level is much more primitive and you won't have any revolver or repeater technology. I guess you could just say that in your world firearms evolved faster, but then why not just do a cowboy setting as you won't be able to use 1840s figures anyway?

Personally I think you're better off sticking to the mid-late Victorian era and then doing your game in the Southwest as you say.

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 11:06:04 PM »
Surely (and I'm not trying to contradict anyone here) one of it's most attractive selling point is the setting. Or is that just me.

In actuality you have kinda taken that out of context what was said was -

Due to the generic nature of the locations, this is less of an issue than you would suspect. The countryside, could be wheat fields in England,  the Russian steppes or the Black forest in Germany. An industrial location could be the mills of Lancashire, a railway yard in the US or the docks of Alexandria.  Players only need to use their imagination, in this regard and alter the terrain mix to suit.  What we want to do is expand on the different types of locations available. The roof tops of a city, jungles or swamps could be new locations as they have their own unique aspects compared to the current locations on offer.

He's referring to Locations rather than Settings.

I hadn't even thought of the weaponry problem, thats yet another thing to consider.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
VH my positive push was in respect to the general gothic horror rather than specific EoDT take.

But there would be no reason why it couldn't work, and also remember that the clubs could work in a 'gangs of new york' themed approach?

I know what you're saying, but with a nice simple rule system it is ripe for palying with. I know as well that Andy and Wendy are always keen for their game worlds to evolve so if the chap's willing to put the wrenchtime in for his tequlia flavoured colony based game then best of british eh?

And all the more battenburg and good old assam for us eh? ;)

The Commander
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:16:46 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 11:42:24 PM »
I was thinking the 5 Points a la Gangs of New York too to use for a business district for my American Civil War background EoTD games. TVAG even has some paper terrain, B'Hoys Town, that would work...

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 11:46:18 PM »
VH my positive push was in respect to the general gothic horror rather than specific EoDT take.

But there would be no reason why it couldn't work, and also remember that the clubs could work in a 'gangs of new york' themed approach?

I know what you're saying, but with a nice simple rule system it is ripe for palying with. I know as well that Andy and Wendy are always keen for their game worlds to evolve so if the chap's willing to put the wrenchtime in for his tequlia flavoured colony based game then best of british eh?

And all the more battenburg and good old assam for us eh? ;)

The Commander

I was just trying to give him as much information as possible, to save him buying the book before seeing for himself - nothing worse than spending cash and then finding out its "Not Your Cup Of Tea" (pun intended LoL) - like I did with Malifaux!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 02:40:40 AM »
I appreciate VH's comments and warnings.   :)  Even in Chaos in Carpathia the use of flintlock technology gives an edge to the non-humans.   ;)

Here is my 25/28 mm figures settings for "historicals" (loosely in some - such as  VSF - cases)   :D

I am building a Spain on Venus VSF setting  - 1880's/1890's is my intent for the "time period" of these games.   8)

My "Western" figures are intended for a 1840's setting.   ::)  For anachronisms  - Revolvers currently are defined as flintlock/wheel-lock/matchlock as needed,  Winchesters/etc., are flintlock/etc., rifles until I get correct firearms and get the courage to convert figures.

My Zorro/Presidials are for a setting around 1800 to 1820 (I moved things up a bit for the start of the period for my personal historical view.)  They are appropriately armed I believe.   :-*

I also have a 17th century Spanish-Indios collection building.  The Soldados have the weaponry of the period.  The indians sometimes are correct and sometimes the approximations of the "western" games is used.  Hairstyles are an issue for the California indians, weapons are bows and implied/generic  "minor self-defense" melee weapons.   o_o

Oh and a handful of conquistadores for the 16th century skirmish games.   :o

I may eventually get some Rif Wars figures - it is my last 25/28 mm goal ands realistically may not occur...   :?

My fantasy dwarf armies and my aircraft are separate cases in themselves.   ::)   lol

Gracias,

Glenn