Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 07:33:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696331
  • Total Topics: 118759
  • Online Today: 465
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: Yeti's Strange Aeons Thread(Flesh Eating Tree and Threshold Agents 02/21/16)  (Read 42593 times)

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Re: Yeti's Strange Aeons Thread (Threshold Ahoy! 10-12-12)
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2012, 02:27:01 PM »
Sweet!
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2012, 02:38:36 PM »
Great job on the rowboat.
It has come out really well.
 :-*

Thanks for the tip on the Hamm stuff.
Will have to have a butchers at that range....

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2012, 03:09:01 AM »
We have had rules for boats around the shop for quite a while. We are currently working on rules for land vehicles as well. Once they have been tested and slashed and whatnot they will appear in Shocking Tales #4 and should be available for use in regular games as well as the gigantic Black Dossier case file included in #4... :-X ;)

As it sits we have rules for a Canoe, Row Boat, Fishing Trawler and Steam Ship. Any thoughts on if this is a 'complete' enough list? Any problems that plague said ships of the '20's and '30's? Any ship aficionados out there want to chime in?

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2012, 10:09:14 AM »
Strange things could happen on a cruiser Tintonic on its way from Belfast to New York, when it comes too close to the mountains of madness!

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2012, 05:42:35 PM »
Powerboat. In the pulp movies they are always racing about on an Inboard powerboat.

And a Tugboat, can't forget the Tug going out to investigate and pull in the abandoned freighter.

Offline Yetis Yell

• Librarian
  • All Gamers Must Die
    • Sarcophagi
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2012, 03:31:57 PM »
We have had rules for boats around the shop for quite a while. We are currently working on rules for land vehicles as well. Once they have been tested and slashed and whatnot they will appear in Shocking Tales #4 and should be available for use in regular games as well as the gigantic Black Dossier case file included in #4... :-X ;)

As it sits we have rules for a Canoe, Row Boat, Fishing Trawler and Steam Ship. Any thoughts on if this is a 'complete' enough list? Any problems that plague said ships of the '20's and '30's? Any ship aficionados out there want to chime in?

Sounds awesome, Uncle Mike. Did you guys consider submarines and monitors at all? I suppose a monitor could count as a steamship.

There are many awesome waterline sub models and a sub features in at least one great Lovecraft story. Getting J. Verne's Nautilus onto the board would be sweet. I think monitors were used until the end of WW2 but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 03:41:21 PM by Yetis Yell »
Check out my blog Sarcophagi: http://sarcophagi.blogspot.com/

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2012, 03:56:14 PM »

Maybe a sailboat or riverboat? Maybe a raft as well (think swamps and such).

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2012, 05:06:50 PM »
Canal narrowboats, including the horse.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Yetis Yell

• Librarian
  • All Gamers Must Die
    • Sarcophagi
Re: Re: Yeti's Strange Aeons Thread (Interlude 10-28-12)
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2012, 08:39:17 PM »

Interlude

The Threshold Archive sub-basement office was almost entirely yellow light. The quality was of goldenrod parchment and even the dust motes that hung in the air seemed to have their own ancient pallor, like moons bathing in corona. Snaking piles of paper and book stacks grew like musty stalagmites from the floor, leaving a well-worn goat path from the door to the right of the file cabinets, to the left of the desk and then straight on to the window just below the ceiling. In the center of it all was Dr. Ocation, as old and dry as the room he ruled, his archive a collective shrive of a world which people must not know.

Petri looked over a crop of papers that had book spines jutting out at intervals like vertebrae, up the column of tinder. He was flicking the stack with his fingertips, seeing that they were dated older than his great grandfather… and that was just the document at the top of the chest-high assemblage.

No human would stack books like this and never knock them down, over what seemed like more than 100 years of shoddy storage, though that couldn’t be. The Threshold was younger than this. He rubbed his hand on his pants.

“Which pile in these archives has the Declaration of Independence, doctor?”
“Agent Petri, this office only contains original, meritorious documents. Not falsified writs of Freemasonry. And this is one archive, not two. Archive-ah! Archivezzzz-ah! Which pile in this archive-ah has the Degradation of Subservience?”

Dr. Ocation glided around the stack leaning over his desk and handed Petri a cracked brown leather dossier which opened to reveal pages upon pages of Italian text and hand-drawn maps. The letterhead was the Vatican sigil. Petri sighed, but then held his breath right away as the dust danced along the path of his exhalation, like dolphins in a bow wake. He remitted the cough he owed.

“Agent Petri, in there you will read everything that you need to know about what Agent Connery took from that Dagonite church weeks ago and maybe, just perhaps… why he hasn’t returned yet? I trust you haven’t forgotten your native tongue?”

Petri raised his brow in mock alarm, though he knew better. “Doc, why is it whenever you hear from some far-flung cousin of yours about some deep hole in the Earth they’ve uncovered you call me and Connery?”

Ocation flicked a crooked index finger at Petri and mouthed, “R-E-A-D”.

Agent Petri coughed again, unbuttoned his trench coat and balanced his lucky hat on the pile which seemed least likely to crush him if toppled. He scanned the first page and stopped suddenly, reading over the sentence that froze him in his verbal tracks. Looking up, Petri matched Ocation’s watery gaze. “I called you because I always call your group and Connery always answers. Of the things you both experienced of late, Connery initiated on his own accord, as is his right as a field agent. But…” A cloud passed outside, flooding the floor with deepening blue-grey shadows like cave pools, as if the room slowly was slowly sinking in dark water.

“Petri, do not take lightly what you hold in your hand. If you want to save Connery from what he has done then you better be a quick student. Pack your bag. You are going to Nepal.”

Petri couldn’t stop reading as Ocation spoke, and he protested dreamily as if his heart was not in the exchange, “But doc, I gotta find Connery. We have to link up about this god damned cult of yours. It’s everywhere.”

Dr. Ocation was floating up from his desk towards the ceiling, his now-smoky form transparent, a daguerreotype in a colorfully-painted gallery. As the doctor faded into the gloom of the office, Petri stood up and put his lucky fedora back on. Dr. Ocation’s voice came to him as a diminishing whisper, “My boy, Connery is in Nepal. And as you said, they are everywhere…. ”

Petri stood in the dark room for a few minutes, digesting what the doctor had said. He turned and picked his way through the piles, closed the oaken door with a glun-dunk and struck it with an ornate lead padlock.  He pocketed the keys spinning on his finger, gunslinger style. The junior agent tried and failed to catch Petri’s gaze and said, “Well boss? What did ol’ spooky give you?”

Petri tucked the dossier under his arm, then nudged his charge down the hallway.

“Squid-bait, Dr. Ocation didn’t give me anything. He gave Connery a second chance, that’s what. Let’s pack, we’ve a boat to catch.”

Next: Shipping Up to Boston
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:01:30 PM by Yetis Yell »

Offline Yetis Yell

• Librarian
  • All Gamers Must Die
    • Sarcophagi
Re: Re: Yeti's Strange Aeons Thread (Hurricane Ghouls WIP 10-29-12)
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2012, 01:28:08 AM »

Apparently the best time to catch up on painting is during the biggest hurricane/storm cell to hit the Eastern seaboard of the United States. We've been rocking and rolling all day and the worst is due in between now (8:39PM Eastern) and 2AM Eastern. We are in the eye of the storm right now, I think.The lights are flickering so we'll see how long we have before we go to flashlights but that is an easy tradeoff considering millions are without power.

We are 100+ miles from the coast and the rain/air outside is definitely ocean water. Awesome.

Anyway, here is a WIP shot of some GW ghouls, intended for Strange Aeons. I knocked out most of the painting for this group today, needs some detailing and smoothing.

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2012, 04:33:13 AM »
The ghouls look great.  :D
All the best with the hurricane. I've been following it a little on the news.
It sounds scary!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2012, 12:34:17 PM »
The Ghouls are looking good...good to the point that I'm rethinking the ones I have lying around. Keep up the GOOD WORK!

Having spent the first 60+years of my life out on Long Island, I'm pretty familiar with how hurricanes can mess up your life. Be well; I'll be thinking of you!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2012, 12:36:10 PM »
They do look very good, YY!

I particularly like the colouration.
Pale and sinister.
Nice....or not!

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2012, 02:30:45 PM »
They look like stone gargoyles or something. While they look great, the painting is spot on, I think a cyan color basecoat would've made them more ghoul and less ghost/stonework.

Great models!
www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline Yetis Yell

• Librarian
  • All Gamers Must Die
    • Sarcophagi
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2012, 06:19:42 PM »
The ghouls look great.  :D
All the best with the hurricane. I've been following it a little on the news.
It sounds scary!

Thanks Aggro! We made it through just fine. The East got the worst of it though. Poor New Jersey and New York. it was crazy, a storm that spanned from North Carolina to Pittsburgh to Canada at the same time... the stars were right.

The Ghouls are looking good...good to the point that I'm rethinking the ones I have lying around. Keep up the GOOD WORK!

Thanks DeafNala!

They do look very good, YY!

I particularly like the colouration.
Pale and sinister.
Nice....or not!

Thanks Mason! I intend them to be "not" by the time they're done!  :)

They look like stone gargoyles or something. While they look great, the painting is spot on, I think a cyan color basecoat would've made them more ghoul and less ghost/stonework.

Great models!

SuperflyTNT: I hear you, thanks for the crit. They're still WIP and will get some dirtying up to make them filthy, the grime will "warm them up". A few will have gore like they've been feeding. They do have fleshtone on them as well but that washes out in pics. That said, the fact that they blend in with cemetery fixtures is exactly what I was after, like albino cave newts or something like Gollum. Their midtone color is cyan tinted with white so the blue you mention is there but I did them in a more blackline style to give them that spooky-contrasty look. As with everything, it’s all about how it comes together in the end.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 06:22:37 PM by Yetis Yell »