Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:38:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689635
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A little help from the Anime model crowd?  (Read 6453 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
A little help from the Anime model crowd?
« on: July 11, 2012, 02:30:26 AM »
Hey guys,

I've gotten a bug up my arse to start building a collection of 1/200 Macross (Robotech) models for a possible game.  However, short of ebay, I can't find any legitimate looking websites which sell the models.  A google search is nothing short of terrifying.   There are so many nameless bulk/shady looking websites hawking Anime models it makes my head spin.

Does anyone here stateside know of a few good, reliable sites for purchasing some mecha?  I know it's a broad question.

Thanks in advance.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
Re: A little help from the Anime model crowd?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 05:47:02 AM »
Well, the 1/200 scale does look to be a bit thin on the ground at Hobby Link Japan...
http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?SeriesID=934&DisplayMode=images&Dis=2&Sort=std&set=1&Scale2=200

And Big In Japan had nothing as far as I could see. So I suppose it's off to eBay with you then, eh? 8)

Offline mpennock

• Scientist
    • Arctic Skunk Shapeways store
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 06:20:29 AM »
The original release of those 1/200 Macross kits was back in the early eighties. A lot of them were re-released for the twentieth anniversary, but that's pushing ten years ago as well. I doubt if you'll find many outside of ebay.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 06:41:38 AM »
If you move up a few scales, there is this:

'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 06:54:31 AM »
That's a Gundam tho isn't it? 8)

Some Macross still gets made in 1/100 scale (they have a somewhat nifty looking workshop piece coming up for example) but that's a little on the big side too maybe.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 06:59:33 AM »
Yes, but Gundam, Transformers, etc.,  all look alike to me.....  lol

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 02:58:39 PM »
The 1/200 scale Macross kits are getting as rare as hen's teeth now. There are a couple available at Comet Models but apart from that, E-bay is likely to be your only option.

One thing to bear in mind is that the Nichimo 1/200 kits come with two models in each box (exactly the same apart from colour) so when you are bidding, don't forget.

Rarity wise, the Glaug Officer Pod is impossible to find.
The Regult Pods aren't far behind
The Tomahawk / Defender / Spartan are next
The destroid Fighters/Gerwalks/Troopers are the easiest to find.

I'm sorry I can't be more help but I read over on TMP that there is going to be a new Macross game from Palladium/Harmony Gold which will be 1/285 scale and will have metal miniatures... should be around next year... it is in the sci-fi discussion board:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=273969

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 04:57:56 PM »
I have a metal model of what I believe is a model in gerwalk mode, 4cm high so that should be 1/200 I believe? I got it in a bundle with Mekton miniatures from somebody here on the forum. The base says "C 1985  harmony/tatsunoko  DHD.

Its underdcoated bright red but I hever got round to painting it, its metal so stripping it should not be to hard. PM me if you happen to be interested.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline mpennock

• Scientist
    • Arctic Skunk Shapeways store
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 05:03:56 PM »
I have a metal model of what I believe is a model in gerwalk mode, 4cm high so that should be 1/200 I believe? I got it in a bundle with Mekton miniatures from somebody here on the forum. The base says "C 1985  harmony/tatsunoko  DHD.

There were plans back in '85 to release mecha miniatures as a tie-in with the Robotech RPG. The Gerwalk mode Valkyrie was the only one I ever saw in stores, and may very well have been the only one ever released.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 06:55:20 PM »
Those Robotech metal miniatures were made by Dark Horse miniatures. That's the same company that made the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles figures. See, the TMNT game was made by Palladium, just like the Robotech game, so that's where the connection is. 

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 07:22:05 PM »
There's a few kits being rereleased for the 30th macross anniversary, but it's mostly 1/100 and 1/60 kits. I haven't seen anything about any of the 1/200 kits being redone.

If you want 1/285th Robotech figs, it looked like that palladium team-up was completely and utterly dead when Kevin Siembieda announced last month that they were going to concentrate on making more of the same and not on expanding into other areas. But, there was a surprise announcement just last week saying it was a done deal and was going forward, possibly as early as sometime next year. The original models were being made by the guy that runs http://mechdudesblog.blogspot.com/, and the rules were being done by the guy running http://robotechbattles.blogspot.com. It's possible neither of them will be used to develop the final game, but they are the guys responsible for getting the ball in motion and getting the attention of Palladium and Harmony gold.

Prototype resin models on 40mm bases

Comparison to the old Battletech Warhammer
~Kalamadea
(aka Ember)
My Image Gallery

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 08:15:25 PM »
I would like one or two of those Regult, very sweet
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 05:39:40 PM »
Yeah, I know the Robotech stuff is very rare, I have four pods (two heavy missile, and two scout - no normals).  It seems the Veritechs would be very easy to find (including some new plastic pre-paints).  I'm just looking for some good sites to keep an eye on.

I was following the Robotech Miniatures page, and I'm still waiting to see what comes of it.  That would be my preferred scale. 

Thanks for the info.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 03:05:13 AM »
Update: I managed to scrape together 10 various Pods via Ebay.  I am selling off hundreds of 1/72 modern warfare items, so it all ended up evening out.  I think I'll sit on them for now, amass some cheap Veritechs as opportunity arises, and wait to watch the possible arrival of the 1/285th stuff.  I hope it comes out as good as the prototypes were looking.  We'll see.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 08:25:52 PM »
There's a few kits being rereleased for the 30th macross anniversary, but it's mostly 1/100 and 1/60 kits. I haven't seen anything about any of the 1/200 kits being redone.

If you want 1/285th Robotech figs, it looked like that palladium team-up was completely and utterly dead when Kevin Siembieda announced last month that they were going to concentrate on making more of the same and not on expanding into other areas. But, there was a surprise announcement just last week saying it was a done deal and was going forward, possibly as early as sometime next year. The original models were being made by the guy that runs http://mechdudesblog.blogspot.com/, and the rules were being done by the guy running http://robotechbattles.blogspot.com. It's possible neither of them will be used to develop the final game, but they are the guys responsible for getting the ball in motion and getting the attention of Palladium and Harmony gold.

Prototype resin models on 40mm bases

Comparison to the old Battletech Warhammer

The figures these guys made are amazing.  I was disappointed to find out that the deal was a no-go.

Now it sounds kinda like Palladium have done an end-run around the guys trying to get this going.  Wouldn't really surprise me, but I am sad to hear it...

Hope they at least get the guy who sculpted those miniatures to do the "official" ones.  I would love to see Palladium hand the project over to these guys, but I sincerely doubt that the ego in charge could handle that.

~Eric