Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 04:30:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking at various systems...feedback welcome  (Read 4833 times)

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
Looking at various systems...feedback welcome
« on: July 13, 2012, 02:30:36 PM »
I am thinking of dabbling in the Superhero miniature gaming for a change of pace to expand my collection.

That said, I looked at Pulp City, the two things is the price of the minis and the fact you have to play their figures only, it appears they do not have (nor will) have a system to build your own heroes.

Heroclix is just ugly and again set to a genre.

The best I found appears to be the V2 of Superfigs system. A review I read mentions it is like Champions (that I used to like) and allows to build your own heroes. The background is meh, but they say can be scrapped for your own. The prices of the figures between Crossover, Black Hat, Reaper and Superfigs offers a great deal of variety and prices that are more in my budget.

What is your experience with Superfigs? Is there other systems to consider? Mainly those that allow you to build your own hero/villans.
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
Re: Looking at various systems...feedback welcome
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 03:16:56 PM »
Hi styx,

It appears that Pulp City will allow custom supers in the next version of the rules, at least that's what I hear.  I'm sure others will pipe in with more definite info.

I'm a fan of SuperSystem 3, that's why I'm a regular on this board and why Crossover was started, Soapy is a fan of that system to.

I'm also a big Ganesha Games fan and he has a set that just needs to get formatted before it's ready to go.

The great thing about all three of the systems I've mentioned is that they are all $10 or under!

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Fergal

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 03:43:39 PM »
Hi styx,

It appears that Pulp City will allow custom supers in the next version of the rules, at least that's what I hear.  I'm sure others will pipe in with more definite info.

I'm a fan of SuperSystem 3, that's why I'm a regular on this board and why Crossover was started, Soapy is a fan of that system to.

I'm also a big Ganesha Games fan and he has a set that just needs to get formatted before it's ready to go.

The great thing about all three of the systems I've mentioned is that they are all $10 or under!

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Fergal

Out of the three, which of them has a great deal of options to build heroes? ie a good chargen system for figures? What about mechanics on each? D6? D10? What dice?

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 03:45:27 PM »
Could you provide links to each? At work and short on time to search right now. Could not find super system 3...I found Superfigs V2 only...I know Pulp City...

also, where can you find these rules for $10? Superfigs cheapest I found is $19.99 for V2. PM me a link if you don't want to post them...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 03:49:46 PM by styx »

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 04:02:04 PM »
It's PDF, but SS3 is http://6sided.net/goalsystem-games-by-scott-pyle/

The Ganesha Set isn't out, but they will most likely be $8.

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 08:32:42 PM »
I've used Champions and Gurps in comparison to the Supersystem in the past.  I feel you can do just about anything with the rules set, from super heroes to Fantasy Battles*.  In fact my original team was a raiding party from Svartalfheim(Dark Elves + Vampire Counts), while my opponent used mostly Mecha(Tau) for his force.  We had a lot of fun playing, the mash up of science fiction and fantasy was pretty amusing.

Overall we found the rules to be quick and easy.  Neither of us were big fans of the setting, so we just inserted our own generic supers setting.

As far as other systems that would allow you to build your own Supers, the only one I know of is Savage Worlds.

The best I found appears to be the V2 of Superfigs system. A review I read mentions it is like Champions (that I used to like) and allows to build your own heroes. The background is meh, but they say can be scrapped for your own. The prices of the figures between Crossover, Black Hat, Reaper and Superfigs offers a great deal of variety and prices that are more in my budget.

What is your experience with Superfigs? Is there other systems to consider? Mainly those that allow you to build your own hero/villans.

*work in progress
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 09:51:06 PM »
SuperSystem v3 was never released as a printed book as far as I know; so if you want a copy PDF is the only way to get it.  I've read through the rules a few times and tried my hand at creating few characters, but have only run through the rules once so far.  The only thing I don't like about it is the way that stat/dice enhancing abilities are mixed in with actual game powers.  It makes the character stat card difficult for new players to read if you don't separate them out somehow.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 11:46:28 AM »
Could you provide links to each? At work and short on time to search right now. Could not find super system 3...I found Superfigs V2 only...I know Pulp City...

also, where can you find these rules for $10? Superfigs cheapest I found is $19.99 for V2. PM me a link if you don't want to post them...

Pulp City pdf is free to download:

http://www.pulp-city.com/files/PCRules.pdf

Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 04:51:48 PM »
Pulp City pdf is free to download:

http://www.pulp-city.com/files/PCRules.pdf

Yea, I noticed that, but the rules are just for their characters...I am looking at a more universal make your own hero system...when they adapt over to a generic system I will give it a go.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 04:23:29 PM »
I just picked up Supersystem 3 just a few days ago and just printed it out yesterday. So far I really like what I am seeing.

Just ordered 6 super figures from Reaper. Sandwoman, Blood Widow, Zenith, Raptor, Harpy and Blubbery Rand...now  a few more from them, some Crossover and Superfigs! Gah! Glad I am selling stuff...

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 03:11:23 AM »
I have boxes of "excess" heroclix - for postage and cost of box I can send a random handful.

ZorroGames AT att DOT net.

PM works too.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 10:05:42 PM »
Heroclix is just ugly

Actually, i always found that it was a nice game. Figures are also OK, especially for the price, once factory paint is stripped.

Concerning gaming systemess, I searched for one a while, and finally found super system v3. Affordable, complete, you can do anything with it, from reproducing real comics heroes or create your owns, do campaigns, etc...

Personaly I went on heroclix repainted figures (you can have a look on the forum) +SS3. Great combo ;)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 10:29:54 PM »
Using SuperSystem and Heroclix is certainly the most cost-effective and flexible route.  With some creative repainting and bashing you could easily create your own characters out of them.  We are using a mix of that approach and assorted supers minis from other lines.  I've got some 'clix and SuperFigs on the workbench, and am awaiting a very large batch of Pulp City guys.  The Pulp City figures will likely end up getting used with the Pulp City rules AND in our SuperSystem games.  It shouldn't be too hard to recreate most of their abilities using the character generation rules.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 02:15:28 AM »
Actually, i always found that it was a nice game. Figures are also OK, especially for the price, once factory paint is stripped.

Concerning gaming systemess, I searched for one a while, and finally found super system v3. Affordable, complete, you can do anything with it, from reproducing real comics heroes or create your owns, do campaigns, etc...

Personaly I went on heroclix repainted figures (you can have a look on the forum) +SS3. Great combo ;)

I guess that is the point, they are cheap and some are fairly good once you repaint. The key is that, otherwise they are just meh.

I may look more into Heroclix later, I did want to get some of my Marvel and DC favorites like Alpha Flight and Suicide Squad....

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 02:16:33 AM »
Using SuperSystem and Heroclix is certainly the most cost-effective and flexible route.  With some creative repainting and bashing you could easily create your own characters out of them.  We are using a mix of that approach and assorted supers minis from other lines.  I've got some 'clix and SuperFigs on the workbench, and am awaiting a very large batch of Pulp City guys.  The Pulp City figures will likely end up getting used with the Pulp City rules AND in our SuperSystem games.  It shouldn't be too hard to recreate most of their abilities using the character generation rules.

Yea, the few Clix I had just didn't wow me, but maybe a few choice ones may make a difference.