Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:37:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How to Necro  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
How to Necro
« on: July 23, 2012, 01:12:51 AM »
At my wargames club (http://www.nwa.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1) we're looking at getting back into Necromunda, but there's one problem; what rules do we use?
Let's face it, the Original rules had some major problems (Heavies with WS upgrades, unbalanced close combat) and Necromunda: Underhive was even worse (I can't have melee weapons? wtf?).
At NWA, we've developed our own Necromunda: Redux rules which work pretty well, the problem is that they exist only as a stack of documents to supplement the core rules with.
I've checked out Inqusismunda, which I found a lot better than my own Redux, because of the much greater playtesting and input, but again, it is not a complete rules set on its own.

In the past at NWA, I've run all the Necromunda campaigns because I have all of the books, lots of terrain and 8 gangs to go around. This time I'd like to not have to do that so that I can still play the occasional game of SoTR, Supersystem and Gaslight in-between Necromunda-ing.

Maybe it's just a reaction to having not picked up a GW model in ages, but I'm not super-keen to paint up my Necro figures (most of which are about half-done, thanks to Uni getting in the way), so the Judge Dredd Mini Game has caught my attention, it's cheap, involves gangs, experience and I can see myself painting up a gang or five quite happily.

Thoughts and feedback most welcome...

Offline DoomOnYou72

• Student
    • To the Last Bullet
Re: How to Necro
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 03:02:03 AM »
Why not just use the Necromunda Community Edition? It can be found here with alot of other resources http://anthony-case.me.uk/necromunda

Alot of the issues have been fixed in this set.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 06:26:24 PM »
Why not just use the Necromunda Community Edition? It can be found here with alot of other resources http://anthony-case.me.uk/necromunda

Alot of the issues have been fixed in this set.

Cheers for that link!

This is a popular free set of rules:

http://www.skankgame.com/Downloads.html

Combat Zone is a good commercial set.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 12:09:58 AM »
Thanks for the help guys. I'm still not sure what I want to go with, but it's more up to the group than it is to me.

Has anyone played the JDMG rules? Is there an AAR or review that I can look at?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 12:57:40 PM »
The real problem that Necromunda always had for me, more than the imbalance of one weapon over another and such things, was that the system was based largely on single D6 rolls... So after a advancement or two, the gangs were either full of cripples or stupidly good stats (sometimes a mixture of both!) - and that tended to then break the actual gameplay rules.

For a campaign to be that much out of whack after just two or three games, it always seemed pointless to me to even start one; a great pity, as that was one major thing that marked Necromunda out.

I would love a new version based on something better than a D6, and where a lot of rules wrinkles are finally ironed out.

We played it again a couple of years ago, and all the faults that I remember when I first played it (and also some of the cool bits too!) came flooding out in force right away - we abandoned it shortly after, despite two re-sets.

If you want a decent and flexible set of rules, see if you can get a copy of the AE Bounty rules - I'll bet you can translate every model over quite well (even retaining gang "flavour"), and still have a better-balanced game. What's more the rules have a fair allowance for campaign play (with more limited -checked- advancement) that keeps things fun and fair.

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 10:12:59 PM »
The free Judge Dredd rules from Mongoose.  (similar but different)

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/miniatures/judge-dredd/rulebook.html

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 05:22:20 AM »
The Mongoose rules are the one's I'm talking about.  :)

I like the D10 and Talent systems, but I'm not sure how they play in a campaign.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 01:33:40 AM »
We played a game of Community Edition on Friday night. Despite the fact I won in slaughter, I'm still not thrilled with the rules.