Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:14:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Man O'War - a love story  (Read 4786 times)

Offline elThyge

• Bookworm
Man O'War - a love story
« on: July 31, 2012, 07:56:52 PM »

I have been playing Man O'War on and off since I bought the boxed set and two fleets back in 1994 beginning a love story that has lasted ever since. The last 10 years I have been collecting the miniatures from the game and now have almost the entire range.

It had therefore become time to begin painting the many fleets.

At present I have two fleets ready to play. A 1000 point High Elves fleet and...

a 1000 point Empire Fleet...

... including three Sea Monsters.

It is my goal over the next couple of years to restore all the fleets as faithfully as I can to the original game.

Each year starting this november I will bring my work to Horisont in Esbjerg, Denmark showing and playing Man O'War with those interested. My first intention was to make a sort of museum collection but why not make it a living, travelling museum.

I will post my progress here with lot of pictures. If you are interested in more I have a thread on powerfist.dk in danish but again with lot of pictures.You can find my main gallery here and ingame pictures here.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Man O'War - a love story
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 08:06:40 PM »
Very cool. I love that little blast effect coming out of the gigantic cannon. Only played it a couple of times but it was quite cool.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 08:31:30 PM »
Lovely work - just getting into Man O war myself with Dwarf, Dark Elf and Orc fleets before I nearly bankrupted myself on ebay with them!

Yet to play a game as I have a few other projects on the go at the moment, although I have vague plans of one day linking WFB games with Man O War and Mighty Empires to capture all aspects of a large campaign...  o_o

Love the idea of a living, travelling museum - something a few of us in the UK are attempting with WFB 3rd ed. under the banner of Oldhammer.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 08:36:46 PM »
I always liked the look of this game. I, unfortunately, have never had the chance to play it.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 08:40:33 PM »
I still have all the original fleets painted and boxed, even the Norse, and I used the ships from the original Mighty Empires as extra pirates and a merchant fleet.  Plague Fleet left me cold. They haven't seen action this century, sadly.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 08:55:24 PM »
Not a game that ever appealed to me to play, but I enjoyed painting some of the ships a few years ago for a client. Yours look really great, congratulations.

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 09:10:29 PM »
Man o war was a really great game, I sill have a dwarf fleet boxed away somewhere :) (never actually owned the game but I have the PDFs that were online for a while).

Offline elThyge

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 09:59:04 PM »
Thx to you all,

It's part of a nostalgia trip for me. This year at Horisont IV I'm also bringing a home made 3D Dungeon Bowl. You can read more about the Horisont event here in english and about how I made the dungeon here in danish.

I'll also bring my collection of old Games Workshop miniatures from 1991 and before. You can see my gallery with the growing collection here.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 11:46:15 PM »
I love the nostlagic paintjobs on those ships.  It makes me regret never having gotten into Man O War.  Good work.
This is my boomstick!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 07:48:03 AM »
Very nice and quite unusual. You don't see many threads about man love on LAF. The thread that dare not speak its name?
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 12:48:19 PM »
Spending you're time doing something you love is a WONDERFUL experience; when it turns out as lovely as your project, it is even more WONDROUS. I, for one, am enjoying your efforts...keep up the FINE WORK. VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »
Loving it and will be very much looking forwards to seeing it at Horizont!
Duncan

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 01:40:16 PM »
I was lucky enough to pick up the boxed game and both expansions for pittance at a charity shop recently. I love the game, never got the opportunity to get it whilst it was out, but played it a lot when I was younger. My dwarfs were great, except I always forgot to get my submarines up for air, so they always drowned!!!  lol

I remember the big cannon ships, always loved how they would send the ship backwards. A shame dreadfleet was more than a stand-alone boxed game.

GW seems to be pretty good at getting naval games to be fun!

Offline elThyge

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 02:31:34 PM »
I remember the big cannon ships, always loved how they would send the ship backwards.

The Helhammers have a recoil of 3". The gunsmoke is 2" long representing part of the recoil. Before the shot, the Hellhammer was as close as possible to the Eagleship.:)

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 08:20:14 PM »
I got four games of Man O'War played today, introducing my mate to the game. So much fun! I was surprised at how much space for tactical thinking there was even with just six wargalleys a side.