Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:39:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Source for 15mm US, UK, Iran, and Russian armies.  (Read 9032 times)

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
Re: Source for 15mm US, UK, Iran, and Russian armies.
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 12:52:39 PM »
Will Force on Force work with 15mm though. The image below is a VERY rough sketch of my ideaa for a board.

28mm will work on a table that size :o

12' x 8' table size I would seriously consider using 1/72-20mm, if you only had an 8x4 I'd go 15mm all the way, everything  (including the kitchen sink) is available in 20mm.
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline MajorTalon

• Scientist
  • Talon Company!
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 02:42:11 PM »
Seems an upgrade will be needed it seems. ;)

What scale are aircraft at for 20mm?

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 03:04:31 PM »
1/72 ;)

so in theory you could build a Boeing/Airbus plane for a hijack game.

big planes here link
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 03:10:57 PM by redzed »

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 03:46:25 PM »
You can get god loads of cheap 1/72nd scale aircraft on the cheap on ebay (diecast that is) repaint/spruce em up if you want and then send 'em of to battle.

Sames goes for tanks in 20mm, though plenty of companies that produce resin models do them just as cheap if not cheaper, like sandsmodels. Though the older models require a little work.

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 08:20:14 PM »
Major Talon:

15mm
Others have already mentioned QRF and Peter Pig for 15mm, I'll add Rebel Minis and Flytrap Factory to the mix.
http://www.rebelminis.com/15mm-modern-milita.html
http://www.flytrapfactory.com/shop.html

Also, The Battefield:Miniature Modern Warfare is the ruleset of choice for the Flytrap Warfighter line of miniatures. If you have any questions about the rules, then I'll be more than happy to answer any questions [it is my ruleset! ;)]. The game is playable in 15-30mm.
http://bombshell-games.com/battlefield/

20mm
Elhiem is great stuff! Not only that, but there are tons of cheap 1/72 scale kits that can be used for vehicles, objectives, and wrecks. There is quite a bit of affordable battlefield terrain in the scale as well. For 20mm, definitely look at the 1/72 scale Caesar plastic infantry miniatures. They're actually really good looking sculpts, and an amazing deal when you look at the number on minis you get in a box [40-45 figures!].
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1043
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1389

28mm
In addition to Eureka, Red Star is another worth investigating. Their gallery section has some amazing looking tables and is worth perusing if only for terrain ideas.
http://www.redstarminiatures.eu/gallery.html

Good luck! I look forward to seeing how your project progresses. Make sure you share some pics with us.

'HAVOC... it's okay to wreak a little!'    <a href="http://www.bombshell-games.com/>bombshell games[/url]

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 09:25:50 PM »
This is refreshing... nobody has said xxmm is better than xxmm yet.  :)

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 01:07:35 PM »
Skytrex also do 20mm AND 15mm moderns (mostly Cold war centred though) however they can be a little on the expensive side I might add. And if you do enough searching you can definitely find 20mm equivalents on the cheaper side (though not all). 15mm is a different situation all together. I think there are some 15mm die casts, but not many and they aren't cheap because of this.

15mm Moderns often follow a particular theme; it is centred more around Cold War and Gulf War.

28mm is so limited I don't understand why people bother with it solely; Empress, Eureka have some very nice stuff, but they are very much the same sort of 'thing' if you understand. Eureka of course does Germans and French, and I know of another company out there which do Modern Italians in 28mm by Paul Hicks (I think) and then there is TAG which i'm not keen on. However its all pointed towards Afghanistan/Iraq mostly.

20mm on the other hand just has far more variation. And some of the quality of figs is just awesome (Under fire, Elhiem) with other companies there are dozens if not hundreds of generics allowing you to field armies of mercenaries, or what-if, imagination forces, or even dozens of armies across the world that vaguely use the same Russian tech.
But its also growing, massively, its on par (almost at least) with how rapid 15mm sci fi is coming along. With Matt Hingley at Elhiem churning out soldiers for almost every European country, and plenty of folks willing to pay him to make figs of a specific state, its getting to the point the market is no longer dominated by British, American troopers with some Iraqis to beat up.

In fact I'm gunna go make a list and post it, so folks know where to look for stuff.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 04:40:03 PM »
In fact I'm gunna go make a list and post it, so folks know where to look for stuff.

Awesome, do that and I'll make it a sticky... likewise if anyone wants to do the same for 15mm.  :)

As for the scale thing, I think it's horses for courses. I'll agree on many of your points, but pushing one scale over another is like herding cats.

28mm is mostly about the figures. Neither 15mm or 20mm (with a couple of exceptions) can compare on this. It's great for games of around platoon size, where air support and vehicles aren't too integral. Die-cast toys are often of a compatible size though and somewhat cheaper than some 15mm and 20mm vehicles on occasion.

15mm is the opposite extreme, allowing far more toys on the table, as well as air support (although this can be sometimes difficult to source in scale). 15mm is growing but is still a poor relation to 20mm. Having said that, with scale creep, 15mm 18mm will be 20mm before long.

20mm offers the best of both worlds and their disadvantages too. While there are some quality figures out there, many others are quite awful. Vehicles and especially aircraft are plentiful, there isn't much you can't get. Not everyone has the patience or skill to put together plastic kits however, which is where a lot of stuff is sourced as. Some obscure vehicles are only available in resin as 'scale models' and can easily top some 28mm vehicle prices and then some.

Of course some eras are better provided for than others, so mileage may vary on the above points.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 05:02:56 PM »
Awesome, do that and I'll make it a sticky... likewise if anyone wants to do the same for 15mm.  :)

As for the scale thing, I think it's horses for courses. I'll agree on many of your points, but pushing one scale over another is like herding cats.

28mm is mostly about the figures. Neither 15mm or 20mm (with a couple of exceptions) can compare on this. It's great for games of around platoon size, where air support and vehicles aren't too integral. Die-cast toys are often of a compatible size though and somewhat cheaper than some 15mm and 20mm vehicles on occasion.

15mm is the opposite extreme, allowing far more toys on the table, as well as air support (although this can be sometimes difficult to source in scale). 15mm is growing but is still a poor relation to 20mm. Having said that, with scale creep, 15mm 18mm will be 20mm before long.

20mm offers the best of both worlds and their disadvantages too. While there are some quality figures out there, many others are quite awful. Vehicles and especially aircraft are plentiful, there isn't much you can't get. Not everyone has the patience or skill to put together plastic kits however, which is where a lot of stuff is sourced as. Some obscure vehicles are only available in resin as 'scale models' and can easily top some 28mm vehicle prices and then some.

Of course some eras are better provided for than others, so mileage may vary on the above points.

I agree, when it comes to fantasy, or historical periods before WW1 I prefer 28mm hands down. Sci Fi I prefer 15mm due to whats available in comparison to 28mm, allowing me to collect all sorts of wierdness. And same goes for 20mm for World War 2 and Post War/Moderns, 20mm just has far more options. But it also allows you to have a pretty detailed enough army, and have lots of them for cheap. I personally feel 20mm fits 20th/21st century styled games as it suits the style of combat employed in Modern Wars, as often you have battles that can range from a few dozen to a few hundred troops spread out over large areas of terrain, which would be difficult to do with 28mm figures unless you have a lot of money. What I would use Modern 28mm stuff is for more post apocalyptic, sci fiish or RPG settings, but I wouldn't use it to do things like FoF or Rapid Fire etc, where I want sizeable skirmishes or battles.

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 09:35:41 PM »
Sorry for the delay re Eureka 15mm - been offline for a few days. Can't work out how to put a link in. Google  Eureka 15mm modern russian and there are a few entries. The Wargaming with Barks blog has pictures.

Cheers
John

Offline MajorTalon

• Scientist
  • Talon Company!
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 10:02:42 PM »
Sorry for the delay re Eureka 15mm - been offline for a few days. Can't work out how to put a link in. Google  Eureka 15mm modern russian and there are a few entries. The Wargaming with Barks blog has pictures.

Cheers
John

http://wargamingwithbarks.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/eurekas-new-15mm-modern-russians.html

They look awesome! :o

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 11:41:41 PM »
http://wargamingwithbarks.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/eurekas-new-15mm-modern-russians.html

They look awesome! :o

This might be the catalyst to get me to purchase some 15mm moderns.   :o

(I just have to justify them)
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2012, 01:22:07 PM »
Since when do we have to justify buying toy soldiers? I'm going to to be stuffed in future if I have to go down that route!
Glad you like them. I am going to test Ambush Alley out with sci fi - if that goes well then Cold War will be next.

John

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2012, 01:31:09 PM »
You could always get 'Tomorrow's War' which is the Force on Force rules tweaked for the Future... oddly.

:)

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2012, 01:17:27 AM »
Since when do we have to justify buying toy soldiers?

I consider myself reprimanded.   :)  I'll pick some up next time I am at Eureka.