Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:06:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690715
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Quest for glory project.  (Read 14729 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Quest for glory project.
« on: August 05, 2012, 02:18:35 AM »
The quest for glory series is my all time favourite computer game series (closely followed by Baldurs Gate) I'm aiming to collect a series of miniatures and paint them to look like the monsters and characters just for the sake of it.
I don't have any miniatures so far and it will be a long time getting the correct ones. Here are my ideas so far.
The hero - Cullen from Reaper to serve as the hero - fighter
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/cullen/latest/65038
Liontaur, Lion centaur from Ironwind
http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=8088
Katta, Shameen and Shema Different miniatures from Studio 38 Khaliman republic (probably the Sheik and the female from the starter set)
http://www.fantization.com/khalimanrepublickh.aspx
Mantray
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/ray/sku-down/03605
Still plenty of other monsters for me to research. Plenty of goblins out there. I'm sure to find some Brigands, Goons and Ogres and Trolls will also be relatively easy. Cheetaurs will be a bit more difficult and will probably require some putty work. The minotaur will be rather easy too. If anyone has any ideas I'd be glad to hear them. Especially about finding appropriate theif and mage characters that fit the protagonists look.

Thanks

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Quest for glory project.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 07:42:40 AM »
It's Alive!
Okay so I've sourced some photos of what I need to get this project that barely got started back up and running.
Any suggestions would be great bearing in mind that getting each mini from a different manufacturer will cost a bucket load sent to NZ.

Saurus - perhaps some raptors from reaper http://www.reapermini.com/graphics/gallery/4/03021_w_1.jpg Or to thit this and the rex in one go I could get the deinonychus and nanotyranus from Copplestone

Saurus Rex (Big Bro) if I could find a 54mm raptor that could be suitable. Probably best bet is a wingless dragon of some sort.

Brigand. Any ideas for this guy (doesn't need the Mo as there are a few different versions in the game, all similarly dressd though.) He kind of has a roman look to him. Perhaps perry miniatures. Armour not quite right though. https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?products_id=1777&osCsid=i1ovj1vc16hhd9f9f6qvtfqae6

Brigand Leader - Female
Possibly http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/female%20human%20cloak/sku-down/03515
Or http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/female%20human%20cloak/sku-down/03129

Brigand Warlock - Yorrick

Goblin - I'm thinking about some Asgard goblins for this guy as I have some of their goblins with spears at themoment but may have to go for one with a hand weapon and have been meaning to buy some of their dwarves and such for a while.

Troll                     - I have a version for this miniature although he is a lot fatter than the actual image

Minotaur. I have a minotaur already lined up for this guy and have a conversion ready to make a flail.

Mantray - Probably get a manta ray from Reaper that I saw that looked good. http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/manta/sku-down/03605

Cheetaur

Ogre (miniature would be holding a treasure chest if possible)

Kobold (sorry for the poor photo) I'm thinking of some sort of unarmed goblin mage. Will check my goblin stock for this guy.

Heroes - I have a fighter from Reaper minis for the hero but haven't been able to find a magic user or a thief (cape needed)

Hero (EGA colours which I'll be using except for the skin tone)

Anyway, thanks for looking. I'll hopefully get along with the project now although I have a baby due in the next couple of days (well my wife does) so that may make things slow going.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 03:25:55 AM by beefcake »

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 10:18:26 AM »
I used to have Quest for Glory IV. Cool game which would make some great inspiration for the tabletop.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 10:42:57 AM »
Yep. I liked number 4 a lot. Probably second best of the series, biased by nostalgia of course. ;)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 05:47:45 PM »
I loved that game, even though I was forced to play it on a 8086 with a monochrome (amber) monitor

I was in highschool at the time and I remember making a map of the entire game area, drawing each and every screen. Used the title of the GW Hero Quest box too! Lol

I even made a pretty buck by selling copies of my map to fellow gamers on A3 format for Fl 2,50 a piece...  :D

Great to see someone is using this gem as inspiration for a miniatures project.

Will you be gaming this as well, or is it just(?) to collect minis of your favourite PC game?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 07:12:07 PM »
Just collecting miniatures. Maybe make a diorama if I can be bothered  lol. My brothers and I also made a map of the place. Not very detailed but it was kind of unnecessary as we knew where everything was off by heart.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 08:24:53 AM »
So a little progress has been made besides buying miniatures (I have some goblins and a new troll on the way along with a saurus rex)
Here is the Antwerp miniature that I sculpted myself. Still some work to do on it but it fits the bill nicely. Probably only about an hour and a half sculpting done so far on this guy. If that.
I think I'll call this guy Bruges.

Comments welcome.
And here is the EGA computer version for inspiration.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 08:42:57 AM »
Oh my... lol

Imagine that boucing up and down on one's head! :D

Even though it was one of the nastier baddies in the game, it also was the one that always had me laughing due to its ridiculous nature.

You captured the sprite perfectly though; great work...

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 09:53:28 AM »
That's a lovely figure :)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 04:50:54 AM »
Well some progress... after 2 years.
I recently received a bunch of giants bought from Quendil. One of them was a perfect match for the Frost Giant from Quest for Glory so I had to paint it in the same colour scheme. I originally thought a dark blue skin would look too odd but I really like it. As this spurred me back into this project I have also nearly finished the protagonist of the game. Just some basing and highlights to go on some parts.
I also made an order with Reaper and have a few things that will fit this project. The purple saurus and mantray plus a bear that will fit in with many different things.
I have a witch I sculpted for CP models to be coming in, Baba Yaga, and they should also be casting the not-antwerp creature.
The witch is perfect as it includes her little spider friend and the skull from the front gate of her home. (I just need to fish a bat out from my pile of unpainted GW stuff)
Frost Giant

EGA version

Our Hero  :-* He's so dreamy.

Mods: this may need to be shifted back into the Fantasy section
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 06:25:48 AM by beefcake »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 11:29:03 AM »
Awesome; your choice of minis is spot on, especially now there's some paint on them as well. 8)

So; how's the Antwerp? :D

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 03:22:47 AM »
I've made some excellent progress in this lately.
Most of the minis are so generic they can be used in other fantasy things as well so basically it is just a colour scheme I am using for these.
First is the Bear. The bear is actually the Baron's son who has been cursed by a kobold magic user and changed into a bear. Here he is in bear form. This is a Reaper Dire Bear. I'll also be using it in SOBH as a Were Bear.

I have some goblins too. These were some of my favourite to fight in the game. You could go to their den and fight a team of them. Each time you fought and defeated them you would gather the gold. The next time you fought them you would need to beat an additional goblin. I think I used to get up to fighting about 20 in a go.
The colours are the same used as in the game but not all in the right places. Old Asgard miniature sculpts that I bought from Viking Forge.

And a troll. You were able to chop these guys beards off and sell to the healer and receive a couple of healing potions. They generally only turned up at night and later on in the game as they were quite difficult to kill.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 07:40:36 AM »
So; how's the Antwerp? :D
Forgot to answer this. So I'll give you a little teaser :)

Witch, cast in metal and the antwerp, also in metal. Can't wait to paint these guys but my painting desk is covered in sculpting equipment for the build something

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 02:28:02 PM »
Brilliant!  8)

They're both looking really nice indeed. Did you commission them or cast them yourself?

Will they become available?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 05:52:21 PM »
The witch is available through cpmodels. Not sure whether the Antwerp will.