Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:58:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691095
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Flintloque Competition - Trolkin Character  (Read 1929 times)

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
Flintloque Competition - Trolkin Character
« on: August 06, 2012, 10:49:29 AM »

There is an interesting competition running over on The Notables, see;
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/notablemembers/

and in particular this post;
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/notablemembers/message/16099

Not long to go - to win this mini, but why not take part.

Tony

Offline RepublicsFury

• Bookworm
Re: Flintloque Competition - Trolkin Character
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 07:09:02 PM »
The odd thing is the AA models don't look like Trolls.  They more closely resemble big Orcs.  I'd like to see real Trolls for FLQ.  All my guys agree and I haven't had anyone take an interest in them because they don't look like Trolls.  I did tell Alex that fact, hope it changes.

RF

P.S. It is a nice scuplt though, just not a Troll

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 05:26:16 PM »
It's an interesting background development that happened.

Trolka and Trolkin are split from the race of Trolls that roamed Valon in the Darke Ages. With the annulment of magic and Morgana's flight from the peacock throne, many races simply died off due to their reliance on wylde magick.
Trolls however, split into 2 races. Each race shows some, but not all of their character traits and flaws.

Rarest of the two are the Trolka, the larger troll-beings from Skandavia (Sweden). They can survive bitter cold, and incredibly strong and incredibly large. They can take a lot of damage, but do not hold any mineral properties like the Trolkin. Only in death do they become stone. It is said there are wild trolka too.

Trolkin are a smaller and more common race of troll-beings from Frozlande and more importantly Copendaz (Norway, Denmark) and some even live in Skandavia. They have stone-like skin of varying hues. Some have the ability to change colour to fit in with the rocky landscape (I like to think of Trolkin as being able to change to browns, mossy greens and greys). They have regenerative capabilities and can even grow back limbs. On rare occassion, a trolkin has been cut in two, only to find one half sprouting small legs and the other a small torso and head!

Both are slow, sluggish beings with very little of their own actual war-lust. They will join in a fight, enjoy it and eventually get bored. Trolka have joined in the fight on their own accord, the trolkin have been pretty much forced into it because of their hatred towards the Albion Orcs. They are supplied with Dwarf Weapons and clothing that reflects the fact they are fighting someone elses war! It barely fits their gangly, mishapen bodies!!!

You are not alone in your want for Flintloque Trolls. It's hard to say what an actual troll looks like, but I imagine a Scandinavian style troll, like those depicted by Arthur Rackham. Big noses, incredibly hunched over and quite a lot of hair...

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 05:26:38 PM »
p.s. I'm glad you like it, I designed it!

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
    • It's a band thingy I play in
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 06:45:17 PM »
I wish I had come up with a story but, as I aid at the Notables, I just never much thought about the trolka/trolkin and nothing immediately leaped to mind as far as a story goes. My writing muse has been fickle as can be these last few years.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 07:11:57 PM »
Hi Rob,

Never thought that much about Trolka until I saw these LE at Salute.  I don't think I would have picked them up then if I had not seen your You Tube post - your painting of the two brothers in grey rather than the bright colours shown by AA led me to buy and model and paint my two.

I enjoyed writing the story - yes I know it was full of puns, Uncle Rogipoos influence. I also enjoy the weird background of Flintloque - one of the main attractions for me. I know that it is not to everyone's liking.

With luck I may catch up with you on Friday - visiting Leomington Spa in the afternoon. Not yet 100% so keep an eye out.

Tony

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 07:31:07 PM »
Oh poo! Missed that message! I wasn't at work today, I am at work tomorrow though!