Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:01:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690963
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Frankenstein Boxed Set  (Read 8947 times)

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
Frankenstein Boxed Set
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 10:40:29 PM »
Quote from: "Svennn the DH Nut"
Very nice.

I think if they used these photo's instead of the ones they have they would sell far more. You have shown that they are not bad sculpts at all

I had the same thought.  The pics on their site make their stuff look a bit bleh.
-Eli

"I See Lead People"

Visit I SEE LEAD PEOPLE!

Offline tbroadwater

• Librarian
Frankenstein Boxed Set
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 11:10:23 PM »
Audrey, I will stop by and visit while at Cold Wars! I should be there all day Saturday maybe I could see the game run! very exciting... :mrgreen:

And it was 3 nights to get the 12 painted up, I did 3 characters at a time and then the mob as a group on the final night...

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
Frankenstein Boxed Set
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 06:13:47 PM »
Very nice.

I think if they used these photo's instead of the ones they have they would sell far more. You have shown that they are not bad sculpts at all

I have to second that. The pictures on the site really let them down. Well done!

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Frankenstein Boxed Set
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 07:09:03 PM »
Quote from: "The Dozing Dragon"
Very nice.

I have to second that. The pictures on the site really let them down. Well done!

I wonder if it is the painting or the photography letting them down. I know they had a pretty well-known comission painter do the Frankenstein set for them (unlike a lot of the other ones I've butchered for them).

Offline tbroadwater

• Librarian
Frankenstein Boxed Set
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 07:28:55 PM »
I managed to look at most of the figures at historicon in summer and they looked far better than on the site...I believe if the  photographywas better they would have looked more pleasing! I liked them enough in person to buy mulitple boxes and plan on picking up another 3 or 4 at cold wars!

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Frankenstein Boxed Set
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 08:01:29 PM »
Thanks. I've been working on improving my photography skills and creating some sort of lighting rig that will let me photo the stuff I paint for them in the future, so we'll just have to see if that helps or I just need to give up :lol:

Offline tbroadwater

• Librarian
Frankenstein Boxed Set
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 08:11:29 PM »
no way, remember I thought they looked great! Having a 3 point light system is key to doing clean product photography. When I was working for the toy industry I went on a number of shoots so I was able to observe them work and take a few things away for my own later use. Also, tripod and either a neutral or scene-specifc background (as long as it does not overwhelme the pointof focus) will give you great results....

Did you end up painting all the horror boxes?

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
Frankenstein Boxed Set
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 07:35:43 AM »
Really, really nice!
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Frankenstein Boxed Set
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 08:49:02 AM »
Yes, lovely, particularly the flame effect on the torch :love:

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Frankenstein Boxed Set
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 02:47:13 PM »
I didn't paint any of the horror sets with the possible exception of the civilians (I know I painted a set, I just can't remember who for). I did smost or all of the gangsters and drums of war stuff as well as a smattering of stuff from other releases.

I know there are 2-3 other guys working on stuff on and off for them also which is what makes me wonder if it is the painting or photography. It seems like any time they post something it gets slagged for the paint job. I know my personal painting is probably not up to the LAF average, but some of the other stuff is just beautiful IMO.

I did find out that one of my jobs' slagging on another site was followed by the slagger calling up the shop and soliciting work, which I thought was pretty funny!

I'm thinking of going into semi-retirement anyway though. I have too many personal projects I can't get to as well as an eight-month-old son, so painting time is getting scarce.

Offline tbroadwater

• Librarian
Frankenstein Boxed Set
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 07:39:44 PM »
nice job on the gangsters and Native Americans..cannot wait to see them at Cold Wars!!!

and don't make anyone's comments force you into any early retirement!!!

I still remembers asking shop painters back in the late 1980's and it was like trying to get info out a magician!!!!!
everything was a secret, LOL

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Frankenstein Boxed Set
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2008, 07:53:34 PM »
Thanks again. My decision has nothing to do with any opinions on my painting. I have a day job so it gets tough after a while to go home and paint for another three hours because I have a deadline to beat when I'd much rather be playing with my son!

Plus, I have a pile of personal lead that just keep gathering dust. Now that all of the new Conquest and Eureka F&I figures have arrived along with the new book of Robert Griffing artwork the stars have aligned and I can't resist the urge any more :lol: .

Offline ZorzSERBIA

• Student
    • http://zorzserbia.50webs.com/
Frankenstein Boxed Set
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2008, 01:56:05 AM »
Beautiful figures  :love:

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Frankenstein Boxed Set
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008, 09:18:28 AM »
I love the painting, especially the monater  :D

This will hopefully inspire me to finis painting the monster and his bride currently lurking on my painting table.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
Frankenstein Boxed Set
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 09:50:25 PM »
Very good colour schemes on the set.I must agree that the sets on their site look a bit wishy washy but your's are superb.Well played.Got the Jack the ripper set cheap at a local carboot sale(yeah...dead lucky i know!!)seeing yours gives me the push to start my set.Excellent work.
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.