Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:00:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: But Mummy, I WANT it!!!!  (Read 6124 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
But Mummy, I WANT it!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 08:45:01 AM »
Hi Poly,

Thankyou :)

Yes you are right otto was involved in a couple of crashes - seems he can't avoid them :)

Seaplanes are neat and I too will look at one in the future after other projects.

Best Wishes

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
But Mummy, I WANT it!!!!
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 05:16:24 PM »
If people insist on using 1/48 scale aircraft in their games (much too large IMHO, since a 28mm figure is under 5' tall in scale!), remember that Roden, from the Ukraine, manufacture several plastic WWI and postwar aircraft usable in WWI, Pulp and BOB scenarios.  They include the Bristol Fighter F.2B, the DH.4 and the Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter (all lovely 2-seaters), as well as the Gloster Gladiator.  Some were used well into the 1930's, in such diverse areas as Egypt and China.  All should be available for under $40/20 pounds.  No floatplanes, yet, though.  :(

Cheers,
Mike
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
But Mummy, I WANT it!!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 05:22:33 PM »
Thanks, Mike. I was aware of them, but I've yet to try one of their kits.

And yes, I do insist. They look fine to me, as such questions as "does such-and-such's 28mm figures go with so-and-so's 28mm range?" bother me little. I know some people get very upset about such things as scales and sizes matching exactly, but I'm not one of them.  :)

Cheers.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
But Mummy, I WANT it!!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 05:40:38 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"

...And yes, I do insist. They look fine to me, as such questions as "does such-and-such's 28mm figures go with so-and-so's 28mm range?" bother me little. I know some people get very upset about such things as scales and sizes matching exactly, but I'm not one of them.  :)

Cheers.

Hey, that's your privilege! I'm not trying to change anybody's mind.  If they're happy, more power to them.  Since I normally build vignettes or dioramas and don't game ( :o ), I need everything to relate more precisely, rather than just act as a representation.  I'd love some aircraft in perfect scale with 28mm minis but since they don't exist, at the moment, I'll stick to using vehicles and keep my aircraft models as simple display items.

Prosit!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
But Mummy, I WANT it!!!!
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 05:48:15 PM »
Ah, right-o. I can see how it would be much more bothersome for someone engaged in that type of thing.

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
But Mummy, I WANT it!!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 05:55:07 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
Ah, right-o. I can see how it would be much more bothersome for someone engaged in that type of thing.

Disgusting, isn't it!  :wink:

Offline harmonkeys

• Assistant
  • aka Scott Pasha
Help me with WWI Middle East aircraft
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 07:35:35 PM »
So, I'm trying to get some aircraft for my WWI Palestine games and I find it nearly impossible to find a good one stop shop for aircraft models or even for seeing what is actually available in my preferred scales (1:72 or 1:56 or 1:48).
Frankly I'd love a good starting place for aircraft in this theater, I can coble together info from a variety of sources but... frankly I'd like your input as to what aircraft models you have bought for gaming (to go with 28mm figures). Mostly it's the German aircraft that I'm having the most trouble with.
Help
Scott

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
But Mummy, I WANT it!!!!
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 07:44:07 PM »
For starters, here's a really cool site that lists all the aircraft that the Ottomans used. That way you can see what kits that are available are suitable for the theatre.

http://www.tayyareci.com/digerucaklar/turkiye/ww1.asp
It also has colour plates to help your choosing paint schemes.

Funny you should mention this, for right now (well not RIGHT now, currently I'm on a break, and browsing LAF, obviously) constructing an Albatros DIII which I'm painting up in Ottoman colours. I'm using a SMER 1/48th kit.

I get my kits from a variety of UK online sellers. As you are in the US, I can't really help you out as far as retailers go.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
But Mummy, I WANT it!!!!
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008, 07:47:11 PM »
Hi Guys,

There are  anumber of companies that produce very suitable aircraft for the Middle-East.

Planet Models has a lovely German aircraft namely the Rumpler C1. I've the Roden Vickers Gun Bus and SE5a (RAF Palestine 1918 markings), need to pick up the Bristol fighter (Australian markings) and BE2 as I can use the latter for Africa and the Middle-East.

For my Western Front I've a Roden DH4 (need to find USMC markings).

Gavia do a Plaz which would do nicely for early desert. Then you have this company:
http://www.amug.org/~copperst/main.html

Lovely kits and a number of aircraft suitable for the Middle-East.

Need any further infor just give me a bell 8)

Best Wishes

Helen

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
But Mummy, I WANT it!!!!
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2008, 08:39:33 PM »
Helen, thanks for the Copper State link.  I've been meaning to look for it but I keep getting distracted somehow.  :wink:  I really love those Lohners with all the red and white markings, particularly the beautiful Lohner L Flying Boat.

Eduard does/did the Fokker Eindekker and D.VII, the Albatros D.II, D.III and D.V, the Pfalz D.III and Nieuport 17.

Gavia also does a Bristol Scout and Albatros D.I.

Amazingly, almost all of the aircraft listed on the site that Plynkes mentions are available, in model form, in one scale or another.  Quite an accomplishment!

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
But Mummy, I WANT it!!!!
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2008, 08:15:53 PM »
I was hoping to get my hands on one of these Hansa Brandenburg beauties for Plynkes at the IPMS fair last Saturday, but alas.

There was a stand with lots of Omega kits and at reasonable prices too, but only in 1/72.

Sorry Plynkes, better luck next time...

Afterwards I heard from a friend of mine that although the shows officially opens at 10 Am, there's already quite a crowd at 08.00 Am to help 'unload' the choisiest items.

As it was I ended up with a nice Roden 1/48 Junkers D1, some tools and two more 1/48 Classical Airframe CR32s. The latter at 10 Euro a piece which isn't bad.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
But Mummy, I WANT it!!!!
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2008, 08:37:52 PM »
Don't worry mate. As it happens I've been spending like a fool and am up to my eyeballs in aeroplane kits right now. I shall not need any new ones for quite some time.

Thanks for trying.