Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:29:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Period Weapons of the 1920s-1930s with ideas on costing  (Read 6688 times)

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
Period Weapons of the 1920s-1930s with ideas on costing
« on: September 25, 2012, 06:37:18 PM »
I'm a bit of a gun nut/amateur historian and I've come up with some weapons I'm going to implement into our games:

CLOSE COMBAT
Rapier - +2CC - 1D+1 - SPECIAL: Parry, Parry - +2BP
Nunchaku - +3CC - 1D+2 - SPECIAL: Dangerous - +2BP

RANGED
Throwing Knives - 6" Range - 1D - 1D+2 - SPECIAL: Poison +1BP
Colt Model 1903 (.32ACP) - 6" Range - 1D - 1D+2 - +0.5BP (Common)
S&W Hand Ejector (.455 Webley) - 8" Range - 1D - 1D+2 - SPECIAL: Power - +2BP
Beretta 1918 SMG (9MM) - 14" Range - 2D - 1D+1 - SPECIAL: Strafe, AP2 - +4BP
FM24 LMG (7.5MM) - 20" Range - 3D - 1D+2 - SPECIAL: 2-Man, Strafe - +3BP
Winchester 1895 (30-06)  - 16" Range - 2D - 1D+2 - SPECIAL: AP1 - +3BP
Steyr 1895 (8mm) - 16" Range - 1D - 1D+1 - SPECIAL: CC+2, Parry, AP1, Ready - +3BP

Thoughts?
www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline Bergh

• Scientist
Re: Period Weapons of the 1920s-1930s with ideas on costing
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 09:10:10 PM »
Looks fine, throwing knifes should maybe only be 4" range. and the Berette SMG should maybe have 10" in range. for balancing issues.

If anyone ask questions about firearms range in Strange Aeons its quite simple, as I see it most games are in the dark hours of the night or at best evening.
anyone seen a cultist gathering with human sacrifice and daemonic summoning happen in full daylight?
-Brian Bjerregaard Bergh

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 10:23:29 PM »
I hadn't considered the dark aspect.

Personally, I've never actually seen a human sacrifice in dark or light...I guess Denmark is getting pretty rough these days?? LOL

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 01:51:20 PM »
Sawn Off - 6" Range - 1D - 1D+3 - SPECIAL: Hits all models within 1" of the target model for 1D+1 damage. Can be shot once per turn. +2BP (one-handed).

Dual wielding sawn offs...yummie! Sure, the idea is rediculous but also loads of fun.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 02:57:19 PM »
You'd break a wrist trying to fire a 12G sawed off!

They had these old-school "hand cannons" back in the early 1900's, they were .22's, but they had 6 barrels that fired simultanously. Those would be perfect for the Special Branch!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 03:15:25 PM »
Name or picture? Sounds awesome!

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 07:30:51 AM »
It is nice to see someone thinking of new weapons as well!

You're taking game to whole next level, which complicates things pretty much. I myself am quite satisfied with one stats for an SMG, machinegun and so on. I did laugh at nunchaku's dangerous special rule, a great idea! lol

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 01:39:56 PM »
This all came about due to the fact that some of my models are carrying weapons that don't quite fit the bill for certain weapons that are in existence, and thus I felt it prudent to come up with something. I looked at the costing of existing weapons and so I tried very hard to balance the cost with the weapons benefits/drawbacks. So far, it seems pretty good. I generally play Lurkers, so it allows for far more options of which models I get to choose.

I painted my Uncle Mike's cultists (2 sets) all different colors so that on my Lurker roster they can be easily differentiated. But, in the long run, I expect to have lots of them, and I want to be able to look at the model and say, "he's got a tommygun" or whatever. And since there are SO many guns of that period, and so many places on Earth to play out scenarios, why wouldn't a French baddie have a MAS SMG instead of a Tommygun, which the French wouldn't have had access to?

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 02:21:52 AM »
On body armour:-

This is a Dunrite bullet proof vest, as worn by bank robbers like John Dillinger. As you can see, it is tailored to look like a suit waistcoat, and as such intended to be concealable. Use of vests like this by criminals caused an increased interest in high velocity pistol calibres like .38 super, which were better able to penetrate them. This vest was owned by noted Texas Ranger Manuel Trazazas "Lone Wolf" Gonzaullas ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_T._Gonzaullas ).

Probably a light armoured vest in game terms.

For a heavy armoured vest, one could look at armour created during the Great War, stock of which no doubt still exist.

Or, the Shanghai Municipal Police ( http://www.badassoftheweek.com/fairbairn.html ) were known to use body armour:-

On guns, the above Ranger owned this modified Remington Model 8 semi-automatic rifle.

This has the 5 round internal magazine of the standard model replaced by a law enforcement only detachable 15 round magazine, and has had the foregrip from a tommy gun attached.

The same dude owned this pair of custom 1911 pistols:-

Note that they have had the trigger guards removed for faster shooting.

Another Texas Ranger owned this pistol (apparently more for special occasions than every day law enforcement. But still.):-

which has had the grip safety tied down with a piece of rawhide, again to ensure easier employment in a tight situation.

It seems to me that modifications like this that improve handling while drastically increasing the liklyhood that the shooter will accidentally shoot something he didn't intend to are just the sort of thing increasingly paranoid mythos investigators would be in to.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 02:28:49 AM by Dezmond »

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 01:56:52 PM »
If the guy was worried so badly about the grip safety on his 1911, he should've considered a browning High Power!

I have a 1911 myself and the gun's never failed to fire. Not once. I think you're right...Threshold investigators have.."seen some $hit"...and wrapping up their grip safety in case they get some hoodoo curse cast upon them totally makes sense.