Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:06:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690934
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 704
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for help on Starting up some American Silver Legion for AVACW  (Read 4851 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
From my readings I have found that. The uniform of the Silver Legion members consisted of a campaign hat, blue corduroy trousers, leggings, tie, and silver shirt with a scarlet "L" over the heart.

i am looking to find mins that best fit that description. With bolt action rifles, Thompson smgs, BARs, and brown 30cals MMGs. Maybe even  pistols, shot guns and Winchester rifles for those that haven't had a chance to raid the national Guard armory. :P

I am also looking for some mins For US-interwar infantry, With WW1 style helmets or campaign hats.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Looking for help on Starting up some American Silver Legion for AVACW
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 04:59:47 AM »
In fate they should look almost identical except for the color of there uniforms.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Looking for help on Starting up some 1930s style American Army AVACW
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:24:45 AM »
Ok, since my first post really didn't ring any bells, and because honestly they can pull double duty, dose any one know who makes decant mid-1930s style US military for the.
I am thinking as stated above, US troopers with Springfield rifles, BARs, Thompson SMGs, Browning 30cal and 50cal MGs. gun crews for light arty, mortars and 30mm trench/at-cannons.
And Cavalry versions also. Need some one to put down strikers, fight against Mexican bandits, break up the bones marchers, and fight an early Pacific war against the Japanese.

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 02:20:56 PM »
Pulp Miniatures has a set of US Infantrymen I was considering for AVACW National Guard troops
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 03:46:13 PM »
Brigade has some interwar US infantry in their West section as well as their Interwar marines, but both are light on heavy weapons.

As to the silvershirts, I have seen photos of them in clodhoppers and shirts but that doesn't get you much either. Of course a brief period campaigning would force them into something different, or at least without the ties. Perhaps Brigades WWI Aussies with a head swap to helmets (I'd use Woodbines) would get you close.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 02:55:44 AM »
Thanks guys, How do the pulp mins stack up to other ranges? The pics make them look kind of cartoony. I will send a message to Brigade and see if he might be interested in finishing up the U.S. interwar army range. He has a command section and 2 infantry sections in the western range. Along with a Whites armored car with crew. Don't see why I cant at least ask him to expand it. Hell might even try to commission the last bit.
Thinking a mounted section with with 1911s, sabers, or just riding with there weapons holstered.
A 30cal browning MMG. Do you think water cooled or with out the water jacket?
An arty crew for at least the 30mm, (maybe for the 75s also)
As for adding to the infantry I am thinking two sections.
First being fire support, with 2 BARs, 1 Lewis gun, and 2 Grenade launcher attachment to the Springfield.
Then Storm or assault detachment/NCOs with Tompsons, Shotguns, 45s and grenades.
What you think?

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 08:26:05 AM »
I think they would be cool. 
The Pulp figures are a bit cartoony.  But mixed into a unit of other figures they add character. 
You could also use WWI americans from a lot of different lines.  You could even use guys in slouch hats aka Gen'l Pershing troops.
I used WWI Austrians, Flat Kepi like caps, simple kit, bolt action rifles.  The heavy weapons all scome rom the foreign advisors (Germans). 
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 10:11:09 AM »
Thanks leadfool, I might try that idea for some brundest league l. the way I see it, is if i/we get a decent inter-war us force set up. I can use the regulars(infantry,cavalry,artillery) for ACW2, pulp, pulp horror, early pacific war against the Japanese, RCW spreading to Alaska, and as national guard/ paramilitary forces throughout the US at that time.                                                                                                                 

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 10:21:54 AM »
And I still have the idea in the back of my head of using them to make my Navoo Legion for Utah. Hmmmm now I am thinking on paramilitary lumber jacks in flannel  Or 1920-30s American  hunting garb combined with some military kit to represent militias along the Rockies, Alaska and the Pacific northwest. I think most of the available cowboy and mobster ranges should cover the rest of the rural and urban centers. If only I was a half way decant sculpture I would try my hand at making them myself.

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 05:10:03 PM »
I have found that a lot of cowboy figures converted to flat caps or fedoras work fine for the most any civilian in the 1930's west.

Offline Mahan

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 08:22:12 PM »
Oddly enough, I have several sets of the US Intervention forces from Brigade Games as MN Guardsmen for my ACW2 set in the '30s (it's *cold* here!  ;) ).

This is to accompany the usual odds & ends, of course.
"Did you ever see such a fleet?  Isn't it magnificent?  Oughtn't we all feel proud?"

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 01:26:49 AM »
Yep the pros and cons of a continental nations. 
Some places will boil you, and the other half will freeze you.  lol
Ok I sent a message off to Brigade games and this is the responce.

Myself:
Greetings, I was wondering if there were any planes to expand on the 3 sets already available. Such as adding some sets with Thompson smgs, BRAs, Browning 30cals and horse mounted troopers? I am trying to start up a Vary American civil war project along the lines of the VBCW set in the mid 1930s.

Them:
Yes we have additions in the plans. We should be releasing them before Christmas if all goes well with the sculpting schedule. Pancho's model T is actually being cast now for early November release (or late October)

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 03:57:06 PM »
That is good news. I assume the pancho's model T is the one Company B showed here last week.

Offline Johnnytodd

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 11:54:32 PM »
Here is a Pulp Marine next to a BG WW2 Marine:

...not all that cartooney, although some of the poses are a bit stiff

And here are their Marines in tin hats painted as USN:

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 12:32:15 PM »
Thanks for the comparison shots. I Have ordered a few of the U.S. Infantry men, to try my hand at painting some regular/National guard troopers, I will also be trying out paint some for different factions.

U.S. Regulars: Normal uniform for the time

Nauvoo Legion of Utah/Deseret: going to have light khaki uniforms with maybe white shirts or Hats, haven't decided yet. But there semble with be a Bee hive or some Honey bees. Decide to use them to help protect the Utah and out lying Mormon communities. Haven't decided if I want them to be a independence movement. Utah at the time had a Democrat that supported the New deal as governor and there Former governor was Roosevelt's secretory of war.

Constitutionalists/Unionist. This is a mixed faction that will fight for who ever they fill best represents there view of America. So no communist, but might not fight for the Fascist ether, but defiantly against any separatist movements. Thinking old school dark blue uniform tops, black or blue covers, light blue leggings with yellow leg strips. I am thinking of only making them a sporting faction.

Sliver Legion: With there Blue caps, trousers and light gray tops with a red L, and a light gray flag with a Red L on it.

and finally Jefferson state regulars and  Cascadia Rangers(might just forgo regular uniforms for them) and maybe use international brigade figs from Empress mins for them. Thoughts ideas?
Gives me a resin to use some British regulars up in B.C. trying to stop the gun runners, rebels, refuges and ever thing else coming over the boarder.

I had already looked into a lot of interwar Utah, and Nevada. But I am thinking of maybe trying to set up an independence movement in the North West of the lower 48 now.
Also I ordered a P-26 Peashooter and am trying to decided if I should paint it blue, with Yellow wings as is traditional. Or Not. In my setting at least at the begging, only (Regular) Forces will have them, P-12s being the work horse of the era's fighter aircraft. And Northrop A-17 for light bombers, If I can find any that is :P.
thoughts ideas?