Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:43:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 649
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Terminus V: The Armageddon Vortex. Anyone played it?  (Read 1696 times)

Offline Stavros Banjo

• Scientist
  • I despise normality
Terminus V: The Armageddon Vortex. Anyone played it?
« on: October 09, 2012, 12:28:02 PM »
Yesterday I spotted a dust-covered copy of the 'Terminus V' rulebook lurking at the back of a local bookshop. It's a pretty hefty tome, hardback & running to over 400 pages. Seems to be a sort of miniatures/rpg hybrid published in 2000 by Scorpion's Nest Tactical Gaming (who?) but I'm struggling to find out any real details about the rules themselves.

So far I've only found a couple of brief reviews for it & the publisher's site appears to be defunct. It's going cheap so being a complete rules junkie I will probably weaken & buy it anyway. Just wondered if anybody here has ever played it, or even heard of it?
...and what fresh new hell is this?

Offline Thornhammer

• Assistant
Re: Terminus V: The Armageddon Vortex. Anyone played it?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 02:01:02 PM »
Haven't played, but I have a copy.  Big red sucker, yeah?

Offline Stavros Banjo

• Scientist
  • I despise normality
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 02:36:10 PM »
Haven't played, but I have a copy.  Big red sucker, yeah?

Yep, that's the one, big red bugger. Almost bought it there & then but didn't fancy lugging it around all day lol.

Could you give me an idea about the contents? Any pretty pictures in there & have you read through any of it? I'm quite intrigued by it now. Seems to be a small scale skirmish game which you can pile on as much or little detail as you want to the point where it becomes a fully detailed RPG. The setting sounds good too. None of that gribble aliens & ray guns nonsense  :D

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 03:51:52 PM »
Several of us investigated it a number of years ago and concluded it was more work than we wanted to invest. Can't recall specifics except to say it was very, very detailed RPG that allowed for miniatures. A lot of backstory and faction-fluff that factored into the game. 

Solid, hyper-realistic premise of survival/combat in PA world. Obviously a massive labor-of-love from the developer, but something other game systems accomplish much more efficiently, IMO.

Although it might be a fit if your group is into long-term, realistic RPGs.

Offline Stavros Banjo

• Scientist
  • I despise normality
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 11:05:25 PM »
It kept calling out to me so popped in the shop today & picked it up anyway. Well, the shop offered to knock £5 of the £20 marked price so it seemed rude not to buy it  :D

Only had time for a quick thumb through it so far but Denatus is certainly right about it being very, very detailed  :o
Actually, I think a few more "very, very's" need to be added to that - it's verging on the ridiculous! To give you some idea, the 'Quick Play' sheet alone runs to 10 whole pages! A bit disappointed by the lack of pretty piccies but it's looking like a good read so no real complaints so far.

I feel a new gaming project coming on... again...   ::)