Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:15:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690935
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Games Workshop Lord of the Rings figures size question?  (Read 6043 times)

Offline Bobble

• Scientist
Games Workshop Lord of the Rings figures size question?
« on: October 21, 2012, 03:38:49 PM »
Hi guys,
I don't know why but I've got it into my head that the Lord of the Rings minis are smaller than regular Warhammer or other similar sized figures,is this correct or have I imagined it?
Any chance of a comparison photo or two?
Cheers
Steve

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Games Workshop Lord of the Rings figures size question?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 03:46:17 PM »
Depending on which miniatures you take...

The original models were smaller but the dread monster "Scale Creep" raised it's fugly head and now the miniatures have grown from 25 to at least 28mm, some even bigger. It really sucks because by all accounts Elrond and Elendil were rather tall men but now are almost a head shorter than your average Dunlending or measly man-at-arms from Gondor. A little more care about the background would suit GW.

So "modern" LotR miniatures are mostly of a similar size as Warhammer miniatures (though they don't really fit stylewise) while older LotR miniatures don't.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 04:00:15 PM »
This question has been done to death over the past 10 or so years. There are threads on it on virtually every gaming forum on the internet. That is probably why you "got it into my head"

A quick google search will find you a load of discussions and a whole host of pictures.

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 06:36:20 PM »
Hi guys,
I don't know why but I've got it into my head that the Lord of the Rings minis are smaller than regular Warhammer or other similar sized figures,is this correct or have I imagined it?
Any chance of a comparison photo or two?
Cheers
Steve

Steve, when the LotR-films came up there was a licence for LotR-miniatures already: Mithril Miniatures, in 28mm "scale" (although some would call them 30mm ...). So, Games Workshop, wishing to marketing that huge miniatures cake, the minis from the films and beyond, had only one chance to do so: they committed themselves to produce the miniatures significantly smaller, i.e. 25mm! This licence could be achieved. You can probably imagine how dearly GW would have done them in 28mm, fitting all their other ranges. But there was no way to withdraw the licence from Mithril Miniatures. That's the ways of international merchandise business, especially if the Tolkien estate is involved ...

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 06:48:58 PM »
I was under the impression they deliberately did them smaller so that it was harder to mix in their, and other ranges, so you had to use them pretty much exclusively. Cannot recall where I heard this or if it is in anyway accurate.

Offline Bobble

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 07:57:06 PM »
Cheers for the answers. The reason I asked is that I'm looking for a what I think of as classic ranger mini..................cloak with hood up,a bow,leather no metal armour. Any ideas? I've been searching for weeks and can't find the figure that makes me think "thats the one! I've got to paint that!"

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 09:48:07 PM »
Their metal rangers, Faramir etc are decently sized, they match up quite well with the Perry's own ranges. Couldn't comment on the plastic rangers though.

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 10:46:19 PM »
Their metal rangers, Faramir etc are decently sized, they match up quite well with the Perry's own ranges. Couldn't comment on the plastic rangers though.

I have a few pics of painted plastic rangers in my Ithilien thread. Just scroll down a bit on page one. They are more or less 28mm.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=41188.0