Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:24:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Thoughts for Mansions of Madness Figures.... ? Updated  (Read 2725 times)

Offline Profane Creation

• Bookworm
  • Bazinga!
Thoughts for Mansions of Madness Figures.... ? Updated
« on: October 25, 2012, 05:46:56 PM »
It's been a while but anyway. I've just gotten hold of Mansions of Madness and aim to usethe figures for morethan just the game :) Just looking for some thoughts on bases for them, really...

Tempted to use Renreda's bases- the standard roundies for the smaller beasties http://renedra.co.uk/webstore.html#Bases and the 50X50s for the bigger gribblies, but since the Shogs are on 75mm bases will this have an impact on the game itself? Perhaps drilling holes into the bases so the figures can be swapped between the 2?

I suppose at the end of the day I could just have them on the intended bases, but I thought that since they would most likely be used alongside my Black Cat Bases and RAMF figures for other games, maybe have the option to switch bases. Has anyone else done this?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 05:44:30 PM by Profane Creation »
Oh - ancient ones, the fearless gods
I wake you up tonight
To rule the earth again

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
Re: Thoughts for Mansions of Madness Figures.... ?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 06:07:08 PM »
Tempted to use Renreda's bases- the standard roundies for the smaller beasties http://renedra.co.uk/webstore.html#Bases and the 50X50s for the bigger gribblies, but since the Shogs are on 75mm bases will this have an impact on the game itself? Perhaps drilling holes into the bases so the figures can be swapped between the 2?

Base size is not really an issue in MoM. The bases' main purpose is to 'hide'  some of the monster statistics and to keep track of wound markers. There are multiple monsters of the same type, but the cards you slide into the bases are not identical. You could probably work around that, you just have to keep track of what monster uses what cardboard insert.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 06:11:24 PM »
If you don't care about over-engineering I LOVE over-engineering!), here's a thought:

Buy a coule of 1-2mm neodynium magnets
Drill tiny holes into the figures' feet and into the bases were the feet rest
Glue the magnets inside
???
Profit! Instant switcheable bases!

Offline Profane Creation

• Bookworm
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 06:23:46 PM »
If you don't care about over-engineering I LOVE over-engineering!), here's a thought:

Buy a coule of 1-2mm neodynium magnets
Drill tiny holes into the figures' feet and into the bases were the feet rest
Glue the magnets inside
???
Profit! Instant switcheable bases!

Ahh!! Yes, of course!  :-*

I did this for a Space Marine Landraider and it was very, very fun and satisfying. If I can get same sized mags as the pegs, I'd be onto a winner! I will look into this. Thanks Cherno.

Gnomehome, aye I was thinking along your lines too; wondered about just basing them up and keeping the bases off to the side, but I think the Keeper's area might get cluttered a bit when lots of eldrich gribbles start showing up :P

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 02:09:56 AM »
I rebased my girlfriend's MoM figures on the Warlord plastic bases, they're almost the same size as the investigator bases.

http://www.warlordgames.com/store/hobby-supplies/bases/25mm-round-bases-50-pieces.html

These also tie in well with most of my other gaming stuff.

Offline Barks

• Librarian
    • Wargaming with Barks
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 09:09:31 AM »
I used magnetised bases from GF9 and stuck magnetic sheet to the square MoM bases, which (though ugly) do have in-game functions. So now I can use my figures for MoM with the 'correct' bases, or whatever other game I feel like with 'normal' basing.

http://wargamingwithbarks.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/madness-mansions-of-it.html

Offline Profane Creation

• Bookworm
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 04:48:26 PM »
Hmmm... Liking the idea Barks, if that's a cheaper option, it might be worth looking into :)

hat Guy, I think the Warlord bases are made by Renedra so it would be a similar thing I'm considering :)

Offline Profane Creation

• Bookworm
  • Bazinga!
Re: Thoughts for Mansions of Madness Figures.... ? Updated
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 06:03:32 PM »
So I went with the neodynium magnets in the bases. Luckily the ones I already had were perfect diameter for the holes in the bases. Renedra bases drilled, magnet plopped in, the pin on't bottom of mini clipped and this bit used to glue to both the base and the magnet, so fixing the magnet in palce with one gluing :)

Need more magnets but we're getting there- they're all based anyway :D

And painting commencing in all it's WIPpy goodness... and scrappiness haha.