Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:23:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: V.S.F. Inspiration  (Read 5854 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: V.S.F. Inspiration
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 02:48:27 PM »
Me too, and they come with a second toy of the character on the mechanical legs which are great for making VSF walkers.

Interestingly, the toy was a match for the separate Loveless figure, save the legs folded to slip in the Derailler, and lacked the little steam engine to power it.

I've seen the Derailler used for 28mm,and while the cannon's a bit silly, makes an interesting towering monstrosity on spindly wheels. FYI, instead of the upper portion swiveling, as in the movie, a section in front including the cannon slides forward and upward. Never understood that...

Would have DEARLY loved to have seen, especially sized for 15mm, a train-attached version.

Thanks for the piccies!

Doug

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 03:56:35 PM »
I have three of those toys :)
A casual e-bay search brings up nothing.  Anyone care to help this poor USian out?
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 04:34:47 PM »
I've always thought that the toy could be used in a V.S.F. version of OGRE. For those unfamiliar with the game it was about an enourmous armoured vehicle taking on all comers on a future battle field. Now imagine it in the 19th cen. when a science pirate invents a land behemoth and the great powers have to throw eveything they have against it.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 04:48:50 PM »
A casual e-bay search brings up nothing.  Anyone care to help this poor USian out?

I'll put this on my list of things to look out for, for which to look out, out for which to look...

Things to seek whilst traipsing through the basement...

Doug

Offline chantyam

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 06:11:54 PM »
I also have three of the toys -bought years ago via e-bay and was tempted by a 4th a few months back. Still hoping to find something suitable for a "carriage" on the back
gan canny kidder!

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 01:20:34 PM »
How large are these toys, and does anyone have a pic?

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 01:33:31 PM »
I posted a picture of the toy on page 1 of this thead. The miniature next to it is a 25/28 mm from Rafm's Space 1889 line.

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 01:53:23 PM »
I posted a picture of the toy on page 1 of this thead. The miniature next to it is a 25/28 mm from Rafm's Space 1889 line.
Right.  Thank you. 
...certain parties in this selfsame post could fail to see the x-acto knife on the desk in front of them, were it not sticking out of their hand...

Anyone care to part with one of these or give me good search terms to use on e-bay for this?

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 02:20:11 PM »
I'm waiting till I can find some flanged old fashioned toy tractor wheels to redo mine. I used to be able to find those easily but Dakotah Toys is hard to get a hold of anymore.The wheels on it are just too spindly looking. I've already got a turret to add to the top, and Gatlings for the sides.

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 02:26:22 PM »
No worries Froggy, I'm just glad no one gave me grief for leaving the "r" out of thread.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 07:38:44 PM »
Still diggin', Froggy, but not found in the usual places.

No fear, there was one for sale as recently as last month. The fact that it was in the UK may dampen spirits a bit...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wild-Wild-West-Will-Smith-Derailer-Tank-Wt-Figure-1999-MIB-/271088354124?pt=UK_ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN&hash=item3f1e20034c

However, the picture of the back of the box gives you an idea of what's in the whole thing, including the fold-back Loveless I mentioned, and the gun 'pulpit', which I STILL don't understand.

Here's a report with it in battle; it's a monster, especially skittering on those thin, sprocket wheels. Best hope you're traversing bedrock.  lol

Now that I cogitate, I remember I was considering it for use as a monitor-esque gun turret ( Bro' Sir Randall's suggestion?). Time for a peak at the shipyard of never finished projects...

After weeks of considering a Jabba's barge, I've decided it'll look excellent for 15mm, running in reverse. Real work? Took apart, removed the oversized rails, and cleaned out SOME of the interior parts...  ::)

Doug

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 02:45:42 AM »
Sorry Froggy. Been watching eBay for you. As well, i was looking hard at Fall In this weekend to snag one for you. Looks like it was no dice as i didn't see hide nor hair of one.

Grimm

Offline VSF Gamer

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 09:35:53 PM »
Anyone care to part with one of these or give me good search terms to use on e-bay for this?

Froggy I have one I'll part with. Not in the box, and I used the walker part but the machine itself has never been used for anything and it's just sitting on my shelf. I'm in Nebraska so let me know f your interested. Any reasonable offer or trade accepted.

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 02:15:44 PM »
THANK YOU, VSF Gamer!

This thing is marvelous, and huge.  I have no idea what to do with it that could make it more awesome than it already is.  I've seen a couple examples on the forum...what else did you guys do with these?

Offline Viper4Dan

• Librarian
  • There is only success and opportunity, not failure
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012, 11:58:45 PM »
I've taken this beastie and cut it in half horozontally along the rivet line. The bottom had the wheels taken off, a new superstructure built up, and the four legs from a Star Wars Walker attached. Armament was then added. She's now an open-topped Command Walker for Sterling Moose's Russian hordes. Pictures to follow.

The top half will be turned into an armoured shore battery for "The Guns of Sevastopol....or the Caspian....or Siberia"