Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 06:45:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695870
  • Total Topics: 118724
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bad painting day!  (Read 5046 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Bad painting day!
« on: March 17, 2008, 11:12:48 AM »
Do you ever have one of those painiting days where nothing ever goes right?
I sat down yesterday and cleaned and primed my new Artizan Pinkerton Detectives who will be pressed into service as Disraeli's Men in Black Bowler hats.
I was enjoying the moment, admiring Mike Owens sculting including some beautiful touches like monacles, glasses and on eis even wearing a signet ring.
The first problem was removing a pair of spurs from one figure( Not appropriate for Old London town!) I messed up the job, cutting into the coat as well, so stopped that and decided to leave the rest alone :cry:

Then I glued them to the bottle tops I use when painting figures(To give me something to hold onto) and was ready to start priming them. The problem was the superglue wouldn't set. So the figures kept falling off. :cry:

At this point I went out shopping. :?

When we got home the figures had set so it was time to prime them. No problems at this point.The first base coat went on ok.

Then as I started to build up the layers and it went pear shaped. I focused on one figure and nothing went right.The paint brush didnt go where it was supposed to, I wa\zs making a mess and worst of all I kept dropping the brush. :cry:

By 2pm I realised I had lost the ability to paint. I gave up, the figures are now sitting on the shelve looking awful, I am depressed and don't want to look at them anymore :cry:

ARGGHH! What a bad day, So bad in fact that I sat and watched the Dancing on Ice Final(something I would never ever do!)
 :o
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Bad painting day!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 11:22:05 AM »
You have my sympathy. Not just for the painting, but for the Ice Dancing too.  :(

I'm sure everybody has days like that. It's just knowing when to call it a day and leave things well enough alone until your head's back together.

Chin up, fella!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Bad painting day!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 12:16:16 PM »
I hear your pain, brother.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Bad painting day!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 12:23:34 PM »
I get those all the time. My time at the painting table is a constant life-and-death struggle between the two Plynkeses that inhabit this body. One is an expert painter, the other a gibbering idiot with ten thumbs. On a good day Painter Plynkes contributes slightly more than the other fellow and tips the result to the side of good. On a bad day I give up and go and do something else, hoping tomorrow will be a good day again.

You have my sympathy. Keep at it. Tomorrow will be a good day.

Who won Dancing on Ice? I wanted Zaraah to win, because I fancy her. But I don't think she's as good a skater as the others left in it.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Bad painting day!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 12:33:55 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
Who won Dancing on Ice? I wanted Zaraah to win, because I fancy her. But I don't think she's as good a skater as the others left in it.

Suzanne Shaw and her amazing pair of Hooters won :D (I must say I rather fancied her, even my wife had to agree with me on her  splendid Hooters :) )

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
Bad painting day!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 12:39:43 PM »
Oh yeah I've had those days.  They make me cry.  :cry:

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Bad painting day!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 12:43:01 PM »
Quote from: "Ironworker"

The Hooters? :?:

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
Bad painting day!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 01:18:13 PM »
Quote from: "hammershield"
Quote from: "Ironworker"

The Hooters? :?:

No no the bad painting days.  Hooters make me smile.  :love:

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Bad painting day!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 01:20:11 PM »
I liked Suzanne's hooters, but prefer Zaraah's rear-end. There is something about ice-dancing costumes that suit the African backside. Zaraah had a whole Surya Bonaly thing going which I kinda dug.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Bad painting day!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 03:33:57 PM »
I too liked Suzanne's hooters. Although I only caught the last 5 minutes of them :)

Malamute - fear not. You are not alone. I had the same thing on Saturday. The paint wouldn't run right (every bloody Vallejo bottle I reached for was blocked). I lost the power to blend one shade into another.
I reckon I have painted about 50 Bicorne / Renegade horses in the past 6 months. I am a bloody expert at getting these looking just right.
And yet I was trying to paint 3 more on Saturday, and they just wouldn't come out right at all.
One of them is a total dog's breakfast. Looks like a mud coloured stripey zebra.
Then I did two more Sunday morning, and they were fine. Turned out just right.
It's inexplicable!
Some days nothing works, and the only thing to do is to leave it alone and come back to it a day or two later... But it's tough!  :(

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
Re: Bad painting day!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 06:45:17 PM »
Quote from: "Malamute"
Do you ever have one of those painiting days where nothing ever goes right?

Yes, very often, that's when the toothbrush in my drawer comes in handy... but I still cannot brush the grudge away, so i usually won't paint the mini again before I did some others...
Far less active than I used to...

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Bad painting day!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 06:48:36 PM »
Quote from: "Captain Blood"
I too liked Suzanne's hooters. Although I only caught the last 5 minutes of them :)

My god, what happened to them? :lol:

Malamute, even God (if s/he exists), makes mistakes. Remember the talking snake in Eden? And there's that whole school of thought about art involving pain or somesuch. I'm sure you'll make a full recovery to your usual excellent standard. :wink:
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Bad painting day!
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 08:32:48 AM »
Thanks chaps for the support. :)
 I have been trying to ignore the figures the last couple of nights. But I caught a glimpse of one this morning before leaving for work and I am sure he winked at me from his one dodgy painted eye :x

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Bad painting day!
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 08:39:26 AM »
Sit back and relax.
Have a calming cup of Horlicks.

Then get your revenge on the troublesome little bugger that started this off by painting him pink. Bright as you like. Or lime green like a Roumanian folk dancer. Then when he's suitably punished (and demoted to shifty foreign looking bad guy with a poor taste in tailoring) the others might behave themselves.

Shame I hadn't realised about the merits of Dancing on Ice before - I never bothered to watch it.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Bad painting day!
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 08:43:34 AM »
Quote from: "fastolfrus"
Shame I hadn't realised about the merits of Dancing on Ice before - I never bothered to watch it.

Neither did I until in my grief I joined my wife in fron of the TV and was instantly hooked by the sight of Suzanne's magnificent hooters :lol: