Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:11:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686443
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Building sizes and building tips please.  (Read 5683 times)

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
28mm Building sizes and building tips please.
« on: November 11, 2012, 06:02:43 PM »
Hi All,

I am on the brink of starting something new and to make this endevour a little easier I was hoping for some advice. I want to build some 28mm scale Victorian houses, possibly on the small side so that my son and I can have a game on a 4ftX4ft board.

I will be using foamboard as my main material. Can anyone recommend some standard door and window sizes? (I used 30mm by 20mm for doors previously). If by past experience anyone has any handy building sizes I would appreciate this and any other tips or links as this is the first time that I intend to make several pieces for the same game at once.

Thanks all.

Online matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: 28mm Building sizes and building tips please.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 06:47:52 PM »
I use 30mm x 20mm for my doors too.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 07:14:52 PM »
Where are you based?
We made a load of foamboard buildings for Empire of the Dead this summer, if you are near us you're welcome to take a look (or drop in for a game)
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 08:51:17 PM »
Thanks for the kind offer Fastolfrus but I am in Ulverston...a tad too far away. Any tips on the buildings? What did they turn out like?
Thanks again.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 10:18:50 PM »
you can get some nice Victorian looking S scale railway stuff from the US on ebay for doors and windows, also, Antenocit do some architectural details which would work....

I did some Victorian terraces and pub once, can't remember the dimensions, but failing any of the above, you could use a horizontal cocktail stick to simulate a window sash...

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 10:19:04 PM »
I make my doors a little bigger, 35 mm x 20 mm. Each floor height is around 40 mm. If you look around the forum there are loads of threads about buildings. Thunderchickens victorian ones are stunning. Check out matakishi web site for how to build great looking pieces.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 10:21:28 PM »
Some weren't too bad - but nowhere near as good as Thunderchicken etc.
Most were(are) fairly basic, but we made enough to cover two 4x4 tables in fairly short time.
Apart from the roofs....
Most are still waiting for rooftiles, some still need roofs.

I'll see if I can get any photos to email across to you.

Ulverston might not be an issue. There are three of us, one currently studying in Lancaster. You might be able to meet up with him at the Lancaster Wargames Club.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 10:57:13 PM »
Bear in mind how you base you figures, as often players want a figure in the doorway but can't because it's not wide enough.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 09:13:03 AM »
Thanks for this, its very useful to gather this information...I will check out Thunderchickens stuff. Thanks again...my son finnished uni at Lancaster earlier this year so I know the place well enough. it used to have a shop dedicated to role playing games but I think it has gone now.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 06:44:51 PM »
Thunderchickens victorian ones are stunning.

Thanks old chum but I think it's well worth checking out your builds out too.

Ulverston, there's oodles of talented builders on this forum so you've come to the right place. A few other names you might want to check out are Pappa Midnight, Andym, Svenn, Jimbibbly, gamerMac, Malamute, Skrapwelder and Overlord's 'Under the Arches' droolfest. These guys have given me tons of inspiration.

For my Victorian builds I start with pictures of buildings or go out and find some myself. Then I work out rough measurements from the pictures especially if there's a decent point of reference such as a person in the frame and work from there. As with gamer Mac my doorways are 35x20 but then I use chunky bases. If you need measurements for any of my builds send me a PM and I'll be happy to send them to you.    
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 10:42:36 PM by Thunderchicken »
Don't!

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 08:42:50 PM »
Thanks Thunderchicken! Your work is inspirational  :-* as are many others on here. You are right about finding the right buildings to copy...I was out with my camera today. I also tried to create some brickwok effects using a work in progress report from off this site.
Again thanks to everyone for the replies it really helps to be able to copy someone elses work and avoid wasting hours in experimenting alone!

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 10:43:19 PM »
No problem matey. Keep us posted on your progress and we're happy to help where we can.