Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:11:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 600
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cutlass vs. Legends of the High Seas  (Read 4173 times)

Offline Captain_Hook

• Bookworm
Cutlass vs. Legends of the High Seas
« on: November 27, 2012, 02:16:02 PM »
I have the LotHS rules (yet to play them), and I was wondering if anyone had a chance to compare them to Black Scorpion's Cutlass rules? The Legends rules look to be a fairly straight forward set of rules, but they look to be very generic. Thank in advance for your response.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: Cutlass vs. Legends of the High Seas
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 02:35:32 PM »
I had a game of LotHS and it was alright if somewhat lacking in dynamism and some odd things reared their head such as the musket troops finding it easier to harm stuff by clubbing their opponents rather than shooting them which the chap with the musket armed crew was a little peeved about. He damaged nothing at all at range.
Like all GW games it involves a lot of dice rolling with not much happening as every success seems to be countered by another roll. None the less we struggled to a result (I won) eventually but, given a choice I wouldn't play these rules again.

The Black Scorpion rules I haven't tried but I did watch the video on Beasts of War where the designer explained them with examples of play. I wouldn't touch these unless I was paid, and it had better be a decent amount too. Every single rule seemed designed to prevent you doing anything, even moving (see as everyone trips and falls...). There's no ship rules and no swimming rules either, bit shit for a game of pirate rules.
The cover's nice.

That wasn't a help was it? Well, it might help you to not waste money.
For pirate games I suggest the old free Wargames Foundry black powder rules (I have a set I can mail you if you can't find them on the web) or a quick adaption of some of the wonderful FIW rules currently available, This Very Ground or Muskets and Tomohawks are both very good, or really any number of other rules that cope with hand to hand and black powder weapons.
LIMEYS AND SLIMEYS By Bill Abrams is an excellent set of ship to ship rules which you can tack on to anything really.

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 03:19:55 PM »
I quite like LotOW (which is basically LotHS with a different hat on), but I do have to say that it IS rather hard to shoot things sometimes...

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 04:10:06 PM »
I shall be using the Muskets and Tomhawk rules with a new set of playing cards for different Pirate/Sailor types.

Eric

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 04:24:48 PM »
I had a game of LotHS and it was alright if somewhat lacking in dynamism and some odd things reared their head such as the musket troops finding it easier to harm stuff by clubbing their opponents rather than shooting them which the chap with the musket armed crew was a little peeved about. He damaged nothing at all at range.
Like all GW games it involves a lot of dice rolling with not much happening as every success seems to be countered by another roll. None the less we struggled to a result (I won) eventually but, given a choice I wouldn't play these rules again.

That just about sums them up perfectly. The fun with these rules is the campaign system allowing your pirates to improve and amass riches etc through  linked scenarios.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline emperorpenguin

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 05:43:37 PM »
My Fallout Project leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=35048.0

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 05:52:52 PM »
I agree about LotHS - it's good, don't get me wrong - but it lacks "something" . . . . .

Cutlass is clunky at best, and awkward to play - plus it get's really overbalanced quickly. If one player wins a few games, his "gang" improves - and then he generally keeps winning . . . . .

On a tangent note - Freebooter's Fate is the best set of rules I've yet to play/read - albeit with a narrow focus.

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 06:33:21 PM »
The Black Scorpion rules I haven't tried but I did watch the video on Beasts of War where the designer explained them with examples of play. I wouldn't touch these unless I was paid, and it had better be a decent amount too. Every single rule seemed designed to prevent you doing anything, even moving (see as everyone trips and falls...). There's no ship rules and no swimming rules either, bit shit for a game of pirate rules.
The cover's nice.

I did try them, and though the system looks nice when reading it and there are some ideas in it I like, the gameplay is frustrating and you'll probably end up making a lot of houserules to try to salvage something of the game.

Things we will modify
- range of fire weapons. Tha range is partly dependent on the skill level (this I like), but the ranges are just too long, even at low skill levels. Pistols fire up to 16" (low skill level) which is plain silly when you take the base move range of 4" into account.

- the 'stunned' rule. You stun when failing to sprint, inducing penalties. All penalties stack, so stunned + injured characters are severely penalised. Of course being stunned, you are worse at tests so you injure more easily. You have to roll to remove stun at the end of the turn (which can be up to 16 rounds !), with a 50% chance to remain stunned. It's not so much a 'stunned' as a 'crippled' rule. We'll probably make it a special action to auto-remove stun. My opponent had half of his models stunned in the first turn (due to some awful die rolls when sprinting) and only one model was able to become 'unstunned' for the entire game.

- the reaction system will need some tweaking. You can try to take over the iniatiative of the other player on certain events. To be able to do this you need to roll (losing an action in the process, even when failing to gain initiative). When failing the model is 'surprised' and can no longer react. So you can have a model that's being shot at (but the attacker misses his shot). The target can now try to react to gain initiative. If it fails to react, it's surprised and loses the ability to react, meaning that the model is now effectively a sitting duck. As long as you keep shooting at the same 'surprised' model (or rather, shellshocked it would seem), there's no way to take over initiative.

We didn't get to the campaign rules, they look ok, but so did the rest of the rules so no real reference.

To be honest, I had the impression this game wasn't properly playtested. It's also entirely possible that we interpreted some things wrong, but I really don't think so.

Next up will be LotHS or else Gloire with the pirate supplement.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Captain_Hook

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 10:03:08 PM »
I did pick up a copy of Muskets and Tomahawks as a whim, but didn't consider using them for a pirate game (hmmm). It does seem as though LotHS may be a good set of rules at a games day convention. I've got a bunch of figures to paint, so I doubt I'll need to make a decision on what rules to use any time soon. Thank you for the quick responses.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 10:08:45 PM »
Captain Hook
Have you played M&T IF ,NOT try it...we have fount the rules quick, furious and fun. It was made for pirates... If studio tomahawk are reading this please think about a subset..ideas will follow on my blog...

Eric ....just starting out on the pirate adventure

Offline Captain_Hook

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 02:14:10 AM »
Using M&T for pirate gaming is very intriguing. How would you adapt M&T for using with pirates? I haven't played the rules, but it seems like there is a lot of emphasis on troop types: regulars, irregulars, militia and Indians. How would you break that down among a pirate group?

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 09:25:51 AM »
Hi Captain Hook

As you say the basis for the M&T rules are the troop types - these drive movement, morale, number of troops in unit etc...

I would look at creating a range of new classes for the Pirates - Boarders, Shore Parties, Sailors and Gunners.

The M&T rules allow you to create variations in troops eg Indians can be standard, or braves or savages - I would do much the same for pirates. Some units can be better in melee versus others etc.

More leaders/heroes can be used and if necessary I will give them their own Forward boys cards.

Combat would remain the same - hard to hit, lethal and brutish

Eric

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 04:07:13 PM »
Weird...
I had no problems with Cutlass.  In fact, I liked it a load better than the GW LotHS game.
While no ship on ship fighting, I thought the rules were much better.
THAT being said, I like Freebooter's Fates a bit better than Cutlass.
*beer*
"What exactly is a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"

RicharDISNEY

Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club

Online Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 04:49:02 PM »
Okay, time for a feline to be chucked amongst the feathered vermin..... Have you tried Freebooter's Fate?  Designed for skirmish games (6-10 figures per side) on a 4x4 table.  Not many scenarios in the book, but you can make them up.  Don't want to use their beautiful miniatures?...proxy your own.

I really love this game and have demo'ed it at 3 shows now (including Salute this year with the guys from Freebooter Miniatures).

They have released one expansion, with a new faction (Amazons)and new characters for the original factions (Navy, Pirates, Assassins, Goblins), and are currently Beta testing a new faction (Voodoo Cultists).

As yet there are no rules for ships, however .... it's possible that this is somewhere in the pipline (if not, some fans have used the card based combat system to make their own).

Offline Captain_Hook

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 01:48:36 AM »
I watched the You-tube video on Freebooter's Fate, and the card based system has me interested. I play Sharp Practice rules by TFL, and I like the cards, versus the you go/ I go format. How would Freebooter's Fate work with multiple players on a side, say 4 to 6 bands of pirates playing against each other?