Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2024, 11:15:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Damien's big thread of OOP and old school miniatures (Good bye for now)  (Read 32080 times)

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
Re: Damien's big thread of OOP and old school miniatures
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 03:23:09 PM »
Hi phreedh, it is really good to be back. I responded to your thread, I am glad it is still going.

Faust don't go old school, it is the worst addiction ever; scouring ebay for days and you can never buy enough! On the other hand I really like your painting style so I can't wait to see some minis painted up.

Hello Rab, thanks for the comments, even though those minis look a little odd in the pics they are awesome minis when you are painting them and that boar helmet is brilliant.

Okay, today we have a unit of Celtos skeletons (with one GW as the champion). I really like all the Celtos minis, their skeletons are really well sculpted and a lot of fun to paint; I would recommend them to anyone building an undead army/war band. I start with brown as a first layer for the bones giving them a dry look, then used red on all of them to unite the unit.

Hope you like them.

I really like the skellies on the first row their scythes popping out forwards towards you.

Comments always welcome and let me know if I am posting too many pics. Oh and I am missing one skeleton in the back to finish the unit, let me know if anyone wants to sell me one.

Cheers all
 Damien

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
There is no such thing as too many photos, particularly when the subjects are such BEAUTIFULLY painted & based minis. VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
Thanks DeafNala, I always look forward to your comments; you give the best responses.

Damien

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
Nice! Particularly the hero/champion fellow with the striking freehand shield  :)

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
Do any of you lot remember Fraser Grey? I bought this Orc off ebay due to an old 'Eavy Metal article which showcased Mr. Grey's talent (especially his shield designs). I wonder whatever happened to him?

Cheers
 Damien
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 02:01:48 AM by Damien »

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Damien's big thread of OOP and old school miniatures(Fraser Grey?)
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 01:10:43 PM »
Yet another Old Friend...I still may have one of these kicking around. AND that Old White Dwarf was one of those that I pawed through until it fell apart or was lost in one of my moves. Have FUN with the painting et al!

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 04:55:23 PM »
I had that issue.  Frasier's stuff was cutting edge back then.  No idea what became of him.
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 05:08:47 PM »
Yes, of course I remember Fraser's work; it was not only featured in White Dwarf, but also in "Fantasy Miniatures", the first of the full colour miniature books Citadel published in 1988. His work was a great inspiration! There is a page from the book at the King's Minis page:

:)

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012, 06:21:27 PM »
Look at those minis! I never paid much attention to those books but may have to buy them sometime; Mr. Grey really was an inspiration to me back then.

Thanks for the replies guys, maybe one day we'll figure out if he is still in the 'hobby' or has moved on to other things.

Damien

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 09:24:26 PM »
maybe one day we'll figure out if he is still in the 'hobby' or has moved on to other things.
I remember this topic being up for discussion a few years ago.. someone provided a link to a website with Fraser's art. Apparently he's making a living as an artist. Nothing related to fantasy gaming.
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2012, 01:48:27 PM »
I remember speaking to him at a Games Day back in the 80s at the height of his fame...I asked him if he did any dry brushing and he looked down at me as if I was something unpleasant he'd just stepped in.....obviously I was too lowly a pleb for his might ego. Great painting style but the guy was awful that time.

Offline Chaos Wolf

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2012, 02:18:30 PM »
Great work on those dwarves. I can certainly see them as Chaos Dwarves. Keep it up!

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 04:21:19 PM »
I remember speaking to him at a Games Day back in the 80s at the height of his fame...I asked him if he did any dry brushing and he looked down at me as if I was something unpleasant he'd just stepped in.....obviously I was too lowly a pleb for his might ego. Great painting style but the guy was awful that time.

I guess they are right when they say never meet your heros; no offence but that is kind of a funny story though.

Thanks for the comment Chaos Wolf, I hope to keep this thread going for a long while.

Today I present to you all a Citadel Battle Lord. I want to paint up a warband, I don't have any particular rules in mind, I just want to paint up a cool band of minis with similar colour schemes. This warband will be painted green and white and will include a lot of medieval types (and possibly some dwarves 'cause I love painting dwarves).

I tried to paint some wood grain inside the shield instead and the fleur de lis the first free hand I have ever done; I'll be doing more shields as they are fun to do.

Comments (and criticisms) always welcome,
  Damien

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
Nice metals, as always! The shield turned out very well, the wood grain in particular. The motif could use a little sharper edges, but it's still good!

Also, why square bases? ;) :P

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
The wood grain & the freehand look GREAT...as does the rest of the mini. If you enjoy doing shields, you'll love standards...probably. VERY WELL DONE!