Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:50:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690585
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: No school like old school(Im back! Jan 9th 2012 Grenadier skeleton warband)  (Read 37174 times)

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
Re: No school like old school
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 09:31:28 PM »
Nice one - really like the dwarf in particular - I'm another citadelaholic trying to steer clear of Ral Partha and Grenadier although that might prove tricky if you keep posting such great minis!

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 12:06:30 AM »
Hello everyone

@phreedh, Mega Minis have awesome deals, I bought a batch before they raised their prices (in Nov). If I am not mistaken, I beleive that most of their minis are from the old Grenadier range.

@DeafNala, Thanks for the compliment.

@Pil, you are right about the size of the minis of course, they are on the small size, here is a comparison pic.

From right to left: GW Empire,  Mega Mini, GW/Maurader Empire, WOTC Chainmail (WIP).

@Thantsants, come to the dark side! Actually all OOP minis are great, full of a lot of character.

Damien

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 01:01:32 AM »
Actually the Mega Minis I'm most familiar with are Hobby Products...a German Company that features Michael Iming & a young Werner Klocke as sculptors. They're true 25mm as opposed to the current 28-32mm minis.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 02:58:17 AM »
Nice stuff!
I'm a big Ral Partha/Grenadier fan too.

True that they're a bit small against the newest stuff but if you've got a handful of them they're great for a SoBH force or some other skirmish game... and of course lovely for RPGs. 

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 10:13:23 AM »
Actually the Mega Minis I'm most familiar with are Hobby Products...a German Company that features Michael Iming & a young Werner Klocke as sculptors. They're true 25mm as opposed to the current 28-32mm minis.
The Grenadier stuff is more true 25mm while the Hobby Products / Metal Magic are more true 28mm. Here's a comparison I did in another thread:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=17333.msg227531#msg227531

The two in the middle here are Metal Magic, flanked by two contemporary Citadel figs. They're roughly the same size. More examples in the thread I linked to.

Btw, Damien - if you're in need of some great old giants, trolls and such I can recommend the Splintered Lights collection of old Metal Magic big guys, they're originally 28/25mm giants so fit very well with your era of miniatures. The dragons are also really nice and very good value! I have  a comparison of them here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=21334.msg260367#msg260367
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:25:16 AM by phreedh »
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 06:43:44 PM »
Hello everyone, I just changed my avatar as I noticed that I had the same one as
Gun Bunny (sorry about that Gun Bunny).

I've never had the time to wargame though I would love to be able to (I'm a perpetual student); someday soon I hope. I would love to try FUBAR, Songs of Blades and Heros, Pulp basically skirmish games.

@phreedh, Oh no, no, no I am not taking any more recommendations from you, a few weeks ago I bought over twenty minis from Mega because of you  :). I listen to you any more and I'll have no money for tuition. Actually thr Splintered Light/Metal Magic minis are really nice and I have been eye balling them for a while.

Damien

Offline Bossco101

• Librarian
    • www.Miniature-Heroes.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 06:53:04 PM »
Wonderful stuff  :)

Nothing like a bit of old school metal goodness to brighten the day.

Keep it up!

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 01:42:37 AM »
Thanks Bossco101

Here is another T. Meier dwarf from Ral Partha called 'Elite Dwarf Guards' came in a blister with two minis.

My browns seem to be getting washed out in the pics, I think I need to be adding another highlight or two.

Also, I need some help, I dont know what to do with the shield, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for looking
 Damien

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 09:29:27 AM »
 Very nice painting on these.

Just picked up four old Citadel Lesser Goblins yesterday  :D.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 11:54:15 AM »
Damien you bastard ;) Stop posting delicious Ral Partha minis or I'll have to expand my obsessions! =( Really nice work on the scales, I've just painted an old Citadel fighter with scale armour and didn't pay as much attention to it. Think I'll have to touch it up a bit before posting. ;) Only suggestion with your dwarf would be to paint the decorations on the axe blade in gold or another contrasting metal (mithril?).

Regarding the shield, how about painting it black with a metal border? Then copy the symbols from the axe head onto the shield, in the same colour as on the axe.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 04:31:23 PM »
@phreedh: I dug out the Hobby Products Bar Room set to check out the size; you are right on; the bar keep was exactly 28mm from the top of the base to the top of his head...which comes up to a Ral Partha serving wench's chin & the shoulder of a Reaper bar maid. AND thanks for disagreeing...I spent a very enjoyable hour or so going through some old minis looking for the Hobby Product mini; I owe you one, Amigo!

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 02:09:06 AM »
Hey manic _miner, they are great sculpts, I have some goblins from the 80's that I'll get around to posting as well.

phreedh post the pic soon, I really like those old Citadel fighters. Also, thanks for the great idea for the shield, I am going to try it.

Here is a Citadel Wight, I figure I should put something up for all the Citadelaholics.

As always, C&C are always welcome.

Damien

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011, 07:35:09 AM »
Ugh, well painted but naff model. It's the least over the top Morley wight though. =)

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011, 08:18:32 AM »
Aaah Old school :)

Very nice miniatures. I really like how the metals turned out.. I always have a soft spot for roleplay miniatures. There is something in there that can't be compared with wargame ministures for me.

Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2011, 01:59:45 PM »
Nice painting on that wight, needs a shield though. I have that model and used it as a Chaos Warrior of Nurgle after a new face and sword swap. They aren't exactly my favourite models either but you did a good job on him 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins