Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:49:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pre-Dreadnought Naval Rules?  (Read 6677 times)

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
Pre-Dreadnought Naval Rules?
« on: December 21, 2012, 03:12:15 PM »
(This board's the right time period, if mostly land-based, so forgive me if this thread needs to be relocated)

I'm looking for recommendations for a good set of post-ACW, pre-WWI naval rules. I know it's a turbulent era of rapid technological change, but I need a set of rules for modelling the early end of the timeframe - there seem to be a few stabs at the Russo-Japanese War, but not much prior to that.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
Re: Pre-Dreadnought Naval Rules?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 04:10:12 PM »
I use the 'Ironclads and Eyther Flyers' supplement to Space 1889 myself. Sounds like a silly set of rules for historical games, but it fits my bill perfectly.

MM.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 09:29:41 PM »
(This board's the right time period, if mostly land-based, so forgive me if this thread needs to be relocated)

Hmmm, doesn't really belong in Colonial Adventures. But I'm buggered if I know where else to send it, so let's make it welcome here and the season's good tidings to it, I say. :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 11:31:03 PM »
Hmmm, doesn't really belong in Colonial Adventures. But I'm buggered if I know where else to send it, so let's make it welcome here and the season's good tidings to it, I say. :)

Yes, much of the naval and aerial games can find a home in the historical era (WW1, Inter-war, WW2, etc.,) boards but that one is a bit of a Ugly Duckling category so I think that was a wise decision.

Gracias,

Glenn'
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 11:37:55 PM »
I use Naval Thunder, which has a PreDreadnought supplement covering the RJW and another book with the other nations fleets. These go back to the 1880's but not much further. They are a quick to follow and excellent set of rules available via Wargames Vault.

Prior to that doesn't really float my proverbial boat, but there were a set of very simple Franco-British Ironclad rules published many years ago in Wargames Illustrated. These might suit though I cannot remember the year, an incarnation might be on FreeWargamesrules.com...

Sorry I can't be more specific!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 08:30:09 AM »

Is it reasonable to suggest a separate naval board similar to the railway board?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 10:30:52 AM »
It's certainly reasonable to suggest it, whether Alex will give it the go-ahead is another matter entirely.  :)

On reflection, unless we do get a naval board, the best place currently for topics like this is "Other Adventures", as that is the "doesn't fit anywhere else" board. But I think I'll leave this one here unless anyone strenuously objects to its presence. 

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 11:40:50 AM »
Is it reasonable to suggest a separate naval board similar to the railway board?

cheers

James

Much as I like that idea I think, like my beloved aerial games that I don't get enough of, if you get a generic Naval board you will soon get requests for generic aerial, generic Asian Wars, etc, like another 3 letter forum. 

Where does the decision maker draw a line on such requests?

Is this forum to be thematic, temporal, technological (air, sea, land, space,) based for it's design.  We recently saw a change to amore historical/temporal based structure and that has it's plusses and minuses.  What should (if any) be the factors that cause exceptions to occur?

Here is my first preference, Other is a my second suggestion if necessary, and a dedicated board is last.

Grqcias,

Glenn

Who has a clear set of gaming prejudices obviously

Offline Huascar

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 08:33:20 AM »
I use Damn Battleship Again (DBSA) by Phil Barker for the period. They give a good game without being overly complex - plus they are free. They are simple to find if you google the name. War Times Journal also offer a free set of rules called Battlefleet 1900. I have not tried the rules, but their pre-Dred minis are brilliant - so I am assuming their rules are probably going to be ok.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
I think this is the right place for this. The majority of navel battles of this period were either in support of colonial expansion or to defend colonial empires. That is what this board is all about. It has been a long time since I have done any navel gaming in this period. The group I was involved in in my youth used to play pre-Dreadnaught frequently. I don't know what rules we used. I think they were written by a group member. they might be in an old edition of "The Savage and Soldier".
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Offline Chuckaroobob

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 05:32:33 AM »
I've used "You May Fire When Ready", it's fast moving and simple, but it takes a long time to sink a battleship.  Next time I run it I'm going to reduce damage capacities by 50%.
They call me "Point Cow"

workerBee

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 03:26:35 PM »
I've used "You May Fire When Ready", it's fast moving and simple, but it takes a long time to sink a battleship.  Next time I run it I'm going to reduce damage capacities by 50%.

Other than catastrophic events, Battleships should be hard to sink!

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline yancey5

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 05:06:53 PM »
This has become an interesting conversation and stimulated my interest in naval wargaming.  I've checked several sites for ships and hopefully someone can give me some direction.  I have noticed Panzerschiffe and Micronauts offer ships in 1/2400 scale.   There is a wide difference in price and wondered what the difference might be in quality and detail, if anyone can fill me in.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 04:15:56 PM »
This has become an interesting conversation and stimulated my interest in naval wargaming.  I've checked several sites for ships and hopefully someone can give me some direction.  I have noticed Panzerschiffe and Micronauts offer ships in 1/2400 scale.   There is a wide difference in price and wondered what the difference might be in quality and detail, if anyone can fill me in.

IF I remember correctly the Micronauts were better quality/detail.  But I saw them as targets (I am primarily an aircraft guy) so I may be wrong about that.  I never owned either.

Gracias,

Glenn'

Offline OccasionalWargamer

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 05:52:56 PM »

Panzerschiffe are very plain, they do a good job representing the major features/outline of the ship.  They do not have any detail smaller than ships boats sculpted on.  GHQ's micronaughts are the other end of the spectrum, if it can be sculpted in 1/2400 it is.  They are amazing little scale models.

I have some of both.  I like the price and no frills look of Panzerschiffe for large battles.  I love the detail and fiddly bits of micronaughts for smaller engagements and their scale model appearance.  Also I just can't afford a whole fleet of micronaughts.
OccasionalWargamer

http://occasionalgamer.wordpress.com/  --my wargaming blog