Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:47:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689742
  • Total Topics: 118292
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mildly-Weird WWII and 1/35 scale  (Read 11879 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Mildly-Weird WWII and 1/35 scale
« on: December 24, 2012, 08:00:24 AM »
Far too many years back I bought a small stack of 1/35 scale Tamiya models at a very reasonable price. The pile has dwindled down to around 5 vehicles, and I am thinking of using these for a mildly-Weird WWII scenario (i.e. restricted to altered weaponry, mainly - think of a tesla-gun invented in mid-WWII and fitted onto existing tanks; together with some very non-historical vehicles). Trouble is that at 1/35 scale I guess these are too big for 28mm scale figures.
Other than model kit 1/35 figures, are there any useful model sources out there? I am interested mainly in troops (and no zombies, chumans etc). Or do you think the scale gap with 28mm is small enough to be ignored?

AND - I also need a simple to paint but also 2-tone colour scheme based on historical schemes but not necessarily strictly historical. The tanks will be used for a state which definitely did not exist in WWII. Scheme should be simple to apply and ideally should not require an airbrush. My best bet yet was the British scheme used in the desert which included sand and pale blue, but ideas are more than welcome.
Thanks.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: Mildly-Weird WWII and 1/35 scale
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 11:08:47 AM »
Not sure what you are looking for? There must be plenty of 1/35 plastic soldiers available from companies like italeri or airfix and such.

On the Weird War front, there are some 1/35 kits that were made for Dust. Both Weird War II troops and walkers. You might be able to locate some of these to add to the project. Like these German rockettroops:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-35-Dust-German-Raketentruppen-axis-soldiers-model-kit-USA-SELLER-/360523060571?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item53f0d9555b

There are also some plastic kits for one of the Gundam shows that contains figures and vehicles with a WWWII vibe. They are labeled Gundam U.C. Hard Graph.

Great, now *I* want some... o_o
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 11:24:11 AM by white knight »

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 11:42:30 AM »
Thanks White Knight, you might not have been sure what I wanted (heck, neither was I!) but you hit it on the head - didn't know DUST was 1/35, to begin with; and I never new they made 1:35 Gundam models, either - that set would work well - right down to the ZAKU head....! Do they make the whole thing in 1:35? Bet it would be expensive. And not mild enough for my WWWII. And I would probably end up getting it or something on its lines. Sigh.
WKnight - sorry for giving you the bug!

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 01:56:28 PM »
I planned something similar some time ago and I was using:

- Trumpeter 1:35 models of the so-called "Paper Panzers" - E50, E75, E100
- Trumpeter 1:35 Soviet models - JS2; KV2

Trumpeter models are very good and cheap ;)

For soldiers, I was using:

- Dragon 1:35 German troopers (they've got lots of references both Gen2 and older models) from the late war period (I'll try and find some of them).
- Soviet troopers - mainly from Dragon again, like these guys:

And you can also mix some modern guys (the soldiers with the brown uniforms):

The Dragon models aren't very cheap, but sometimes you can score some great deals on Ebay.

Offline Franz_Josef

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 04:48:33 PM »
You can also try Conte Collectibles WWII ranges in plastic.  They do Wehrmacht; SS; U.S. and British paratroopers.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 05:02:54 PM »
Almost forgot, there are these plastic Tintin figures that were released for the movie and that are in the right scale:

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 05:07:31 PM »
Apparently this Titanium Series Indiana Jones diecast is about 1/32 scale. Might be a tad big, but could be pressed into service anyway.

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 05:47:44 AM »
There's a guy on Alternate History forum who does some slightly weird/alternate history type Vehicle models in 1/35th scale. He also gives some tutorial and how to pics if you feel like copying him. He does some modern stuff and alternate ww2 things every thing from Stug Shermans to Panthr III and German IFV.

http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=218561

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 09:45:21 AM »
Almost forgot (which is odd as I use them for 28mm), but there's also the 1/35 Ma.K stuff to take into consideration:

« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 01:47:09 PM by white knight »

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 01:13:13 PM »
There's a guy on Alternate History forum who does some slightly weird/alternate history type Vehicle models in 1/35th scale. He also gives some tutorial and how to pics if you feel like copying him. He does some modern stuff and alternate ww2 things every thing from Stug Shermans to Panthr III and German IFV.

http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=218561

In all these years lurking there, I had never seen that thread  :o Thanks for the link!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 05:32:27 PM »
Thanks White Knight and Bubbles - very useful. OK, seems there's a whole world of 1/35 stuff out there!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 06:26:36 PM »
OK, this is probably old hat to you all, but has anyone seen or tried the Industria Mechanika http://industriamechanika.com/blog/ models?

Very pricey, but that Kastor is one fine looking tank....
http://industriamechanika.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=15

PS - AND I have to find an excuse to include a Tamiya model I have always loved but which clearly doesn't fit in - a Flakpanzer Gepard in WWWII? SOmehow the 'mildly weird' label is getting lost. I guess technologically weird (i.e. no beasties) ould be a better description..
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 08:38:23 AM by Vanvlak »

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 10:50:33 AM »
Actually, I hadn't seen those and some of the figures hold potential. That tank is very costly though.

I don't see why you would need any excuse to fit in that tank.

I need to stop looking at this stuff though as I already have a massive 28mm WWWII collection, a lot of it painted, but even more unpainted.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 11:05:51 AM »
Actually, I hadn't seen those and some of the figures hold potential. That tank is very costly though.

I don't see why you would need any excuse to fit in that tank.

I need to stop looking at this stuff though as I already have a massive 28mm WWWII collection, a lot of it painted, but even more unpainted.
I always need a plot device to include anything beyond real life. Makes me feel better about (e.g.) Tesla cannon on a Panzer II..... 
White Knight, you know as well as I do you always need more stuff - at least you're well ahead of me in WWWII, which means I will need to buy more stuff to keep me happy  ;)

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 02:09:57 AM »
been there, seen it, bought the t-shirt, spent the cash, sold it all off.

1/35 WWW2 sounds great doesn't it :)

it will cost you an arm and a leg. there are a limited amount of figures available, trust me on this, there are over one trillion Germans but only 6 British and 4 Americans available. Cheap plastic figures (Dragon) still cost £4 and will take at least an hour to glue together, resin (which look great) start at £10 and rapidly increase in price. Paint time is 3-9 hours on each figure.
Conversions take an absolutely age to do.
Scenery- wow, you thought making a tree for 28mm was a pain, even a small tree in 1/35 has to be 30cm tall, and buying scenery is only for the seriously wealthy.

1/35 is for either the proper rich or people with no job whatsoever, the time you'll need even to do simple things can't be taken for granted.
I know I've been there, I sold off 99% of my (large) WW2 28mm to fund the project and in the end just gave up, the time alone in just making & painting a section is comparable to a whole company in 28mm, and did I mention the scenery? yes I did didn't I, image trying to fill a simple 6x4 board with 1/35 scenic items, the quality needed far surpasses that of 28mm, what passes for mustard in 28mm can look utter toss in 1/35.

How about a simple 1/35 WWW2 scenario? 6 zeds against 4 infantry at a railway station, first thing no-one makes zeds in this scale, you'll now have to make them, bugger, I made some and they looked great, but the time it took knocked most of the fun out of it for me. The there's the railway station, easy enough to make one (again lots of time needed to make it), are you going to have a train in the station? that's at least £100 just for the un-built loco, now just spend 80hrs building and painting the kit...

It was at this point that just binned the idea and back into 28mm. best decision I ever made.

28mm loads of kit and a plethora of stuff for WWW2

20mm the scale for WW2, lots of WWW2.

15mm bit of this bit of that.
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.