Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:46:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689758
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New 28mm Ship - the Sixth Rate Frigate HMS CYANE from Laser Dream Works  (Read 8179 times)

Offline LaserDreamWorks

• Assistant
    • Laser Dream Works
Laser Dream Works is pleased to announce the release of our largest ship kit to date. The HMS Cyane is a byproduct of this summer’s successful Kickstarter Campaign – Run out the Guns! Designed for use with 28mm figures, she is fantastic flag ship for your fleet or an amazing piece of terrain for your skirmish games. Head on over to our website for more details. We want to take the opportunity to thank all of our customers and supporters who made 2012 a fantastic year of growth for us and wish everyone the best in 2013. As we continue to explore the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812, we have lots of new things in store. Keep your eyes open for new 28mm crew and an entire range of our ships in 18mm scale.

http://www.laserdreamworks.com/28mm-frigate-hms-cyane/

Regards,
Matt

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: New 28mm Ship - the Sixth Rate Frigate HMS CYANE from Laser Dream Works
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 09:30:05 PM »
What a great looking ship.
Very well done.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 11:06:39 PM »
very nice, but waay out of my price range at $265
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 06:50:53 AM »
Beautiful...do you have any uk distributors.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 07:19:14 AM »
Very nice indeed! Would be nice to see the instructions to gauge just how complex a build it is.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline LaserDreamWorks

• Assistant
    • Laser Dream Works
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 06:22:05 PM »
@Carlos,  here is a link to a blog written by one of our kickstarter backers who is building our HMS Frolic kit.  The basic method of construction is the same for both ships.  There is just an extra deck and mast on the MHS Cyane.  Hope that helps.

@Eric.  Sorry, we no distributors in the UK.  We are still a pretty small outfit and need to do a bit of growing.  We do ship world wide...but recongnize that postage can often be a deterrant to our friends outside of North America.  We have worked deals with groups of customers in UK and AU who made a bulk order to defray the shipping cost.  Drop us a email.

Regards,
Matt
Laser Dream Works

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 10:21:36 PM »
@Carlos,  here is a link to a blog written by one of our kickstarter backers who is building our HMS Frolic kit.  The basic method of construction is the same for both ships.  There is just an extra deck and mast on the MHS Cyane.  Hope that helps.

Um, no link there that I can see?

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 10:48:05 PM »
I built the Lee, and though a smaller ship, the build process should be the same.   Honestly it was not hard at all, the provided instructions are great, Matt answered a few questions I had, and the kit goes together really well and easily.   

http://www.laserdreamworks.com/28mm-cutter-uss-lee/

You can click 'review' on that and see what I wrote.

My LAF write up of it is here:  http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=38547.0

Jake

Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline LaserDreamWorks

• Assistant
    • Laser Dream Works

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 07:41:42 AM »
Thanks guys. I missed that thread Jake, really nice work and an excellent review.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 09:26:28 AM »
Really like these ships - BUT the price and cost of shipping to Australia will put it way out of my range.  :'(  :'(  :'(
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 12:01:49 AM »
Incredible looking ship, but agreed - out of price range.  If I had my old job it would have been a different story.  ;)
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 01:01:50 AM »
That is a beautiful looking vessel, but a bit out of my price range as well, for the same reasons as stated above.

I would be interested in a smaller 20 - 24 gun English frigate (or French for that matter), from the late 1600's, or early 1700's, to use as a large foe for pirates.

The HMS Rose and HMS Phoenix fit the bill, since they are less than 100 feet long(93' for the Phoenix), and have small, 6 pounder guns.

Here's a link to the HMS Surprise replica, which is a copy of the HMS Rose:

http://warship-pics.blogspot.com/2009/01/hms-surprise-sailing-ship-wallpapers.html

The 20 gun HMS Phoenix was used to deliver the news of a pardon to the pirates in New Providence, in 1718, and was stationed in the Carribean for some time, so would be a good subject.  She was 93' long, which is only 20" at 1/56th scale (28mm), and about 11" long in 1/100th scale (15mm - 18mm).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Phoenix_(1694)

A number of similar vessels were stationed in the Carribean, and the American colonies, during the pirates heyday as well, so would make good subjects, due to that, and their smaller overall size for gaming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_frigates

I'd love to see some of these produced in 15mm / 18mm scale for gaming on the tabletop, so they have some sea room to maneuver in.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 11:22:14 AM »
very nice, but waay out of my price range at $265

I think that goes for both of us.
 :o
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline LaserDreamWorks

• Assistant
    • Laser Dream Works
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 03:00:42 PM »
That is a beautiful looking vessel, but a bit out of my price range as well, for the same reasons as stated above.

I would be interested in a smaller 20 - 24 gun English frigate (or French for that matter), from the late 1600's, or early 1700's, to use as a large foe for pirates.

The HMS Rose and HMS Phoenix fit the bill, since they are less than 100 feet long(93' for the Phoenix), and have small, 6 pounder guns.

Here's a link to the HMS Surprise replica, which is a copy of the HMS Rose:

http://warship-pics.blogspot.com/2009/01/hms-surprise-sailing-ship-wallpapers.html

The 20 gun HMS Phoenix was used to deliver the news of a pardon to the pirates in New Providence, in 1718, and was stationed in the Carribean for some time, so would be a good subject.  She was 93' long, which is only 20" at 1/56th scale (28mm), and about 11" long in 1/100th scale (15mm - 18mm).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Phoenix_(1694)

A number of similar vessels were stationed in the Carribean, and the American colonies, during the pirates heyday as well, so would make good subjects, due to that, and their smaller overall size for gaming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_frigates

I'd love to see some of these produced in 15mm / 18mm scale for gaming on the tabletop, so they have some sea room to maneuver in.

@Marko,
The HMS Rose, and HMS Phoenix both look like fantastic candidates for our line.  At 93 or 100 feet they would be about the same length as our HMS Frolic kit.  The addition of decks over the gun decks - turing the sloop or brig into a frigate is really what drives up the cost of the model.  It essentially doubles the laser run time and materials cost.  That could be modified a bit if I left the lower decks unfinished (no wood planking details) or if the width of the ship was less then 5.75 inches allowing me to get two decks on one sheet of wood.  I like to work with actual builders drafts for the ships.  If you have seen them for either, I would love to plot it out and see what is possible.

The older ships are a bit more problematic as they tend to be far curvier - which plays havoc with both design and the space required to lay out the parts - which drives up cost considerably.  But again, with the correct set of builder’s drafts, anything is possible.

As for the 15/18mm scale, that is in the works.  I started the process of shrinking the HMS Cyane last night. Our Cutter Lady Nelson is already ready for market in that scale.  Both of them should be available by 1 Feb with the other ships in our range to follow.  At the smaller scale the CYANE is about 14" long which is much more manageable on a tabletop if longer range ship action vs. boarding action is your goal.  The great thing about the 18mm scale is that ships as large as the USS Constitution or the HMS Victory will all fit into the length restrictions dictated by our laser.  Both of them would come out at just under 24inchs even in the 18mm scale.

Not much I can do about the prices - certainly not the ones for shipping.  We always thought a ship this large would be a rare purchase, and that the average pirate crew would be more than happy in one of our cutters or brigs which are perfectly sized for crews of 10-30 figs typical of games such as Legends of the High Seas or Cutlass!  The larger ships are really better suited to boarding action, as terrain pieces, or on a convention table and have worked well in games like Muskets and Tomahawks or Sharp Practice.

Regards,
Matt