Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:08:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689754
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SKIRMISH SANGIN - new modern rules released  (Read 6584 times)

Offline tang99

• Assistant
SKIRMISH SANGIN - new modern rules released
« on: January 02, 2013, 04:59:05 PM »
SKIRMISH SANGIN – is available now from Radio Dishdash Publishing
(www.radiodishdash.com).

SKIRMISH SANGIN is a new set of skirmish rules for wargaming modern Afghanistan. Players control opposing forces, either modern Western military forces (ISAF) or insurgent militias that do battle everyday in the modern war for Afghanistan. Playing at an individual figure level, players get to feel the intenseness of adrenaline fuelled modern warfare, while still dealing with the responsibility of command. The rules are simple to learn, with games playable with a single squad aside, to platoon level games.

The book provides:
•   Simple, fast combat rules that enable furious tabletop skirmish battles
•   Information and rules for creation of professional and insurgent forces
•   A full array of modern weapons and armour for both sides
•   Rules for off table support ranging from snipers to heavy weapon platoons, fast air and helicopters
•   A game that plays as easily with two people as it does for multi-player games.
•   A set of rules that provides an intense and compelling tabletop game 
regardless of whether you field four figures per side or forty.

The book is available in PDF download or as a 172 page 4 colour softcover book. If you buy the printed book, we ship you the PDF at the same time so you can get cracking on creating your new forces and playing this great game while waiting for the book to be shipped to your door.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
Re: SKIRMISH SANGIN - new modern rules released
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 07:39:05 PM »
Any chance of an quick overview of game mechanics?

$75 for the printed version!?   :o

Looking at the force building PDF, how do you use an 'off table' IED or booby trap?  Or for that matter, how do you figure LOS and dead space for an off table HMG?
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline COM 2D

• Schoolboy
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 10:39:53 PM »
I attempted to check out the free "try before you buy" pdf, but for some reason the download is excruciatingly slow. It says it's only 908 KB, so I can't understand why it takes so long. I'll have to try again later.

Edit: Finally got it downloaded, and read over the preview.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 03:30:38 AM by COM 2D »

Offline tang99

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 04:28:11 AM »
Any chance of an quick overview of game mechanics?

$75 for the printed version!?   :o

Looking at the force building PDF, how do you use an 'off table' IED or booby trap?  Or for that matter, how do you figure LOS and dead space for an off table HMG?

OK I will try and answer this the best I can.

There is sampler that can be downloaded both at wargames vault and our website www.radiodishdash.com which is of course the best place to start.

However the basic rules are all percentage dice rolls with plus or minus modifiers. The basic shooting is like this

a) spot the target a percentage dice rolls with plus or minus modifiers

b) shot the target a percentage dice rolls with plus or minus modifiers.

If you hit roll damage, if you miss place a morale marker, morale must be taken as the first action in your next available combat phase. Your combat phases are determined by your BODY attribute with each individual moving, shooting etc on their own cbt phases. There are 10 combat phases in a round, most games last 2-3 rounds tops.

Morale markers can stack up with each one after the first giving a -10% to your morale (think suppressive fire). Once your morale breaks, you roll to see effect. This makes being shot at cumulative and hence very effective.

So that's a very, very brief idea of how the game plays.

Offline tang99

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 07:41:25 AM »
So don't say we don't listen to you. You have made us realised we have our price point incorrect for the market, so we have reduced the printed book to NZ$50. You get a copy of the PDF and the printed book for that. We will just about break even on the books :-[  but if gets people playing at the moment that's all we care about. Fortunatley no one has purchased a book yet but the PDF are flying out the door. If you brought a copy of FoF from their website both PDF and book you would pay US$65 we'll give you both for NZ$50. Our book is bigger and has more photography in it, so we think a better deal. So at least now we can say we are competitive. Regardless the PDF is just $15, what a bargain :D.

Cptjake if you download the force building PDF again you will now see that instead of saying off table assets it just says assets as IED and booby traps are not off table but we do have some great rules for how off table HMG, snipers etc. work.

cheers
Radio Dishdash

Offline COM 2D

• Schoolboy
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 02:53:31 PM »
I can't speak for CptJake, but my own Ameri-centric ego hadn't realized the prices were in NZD.

Offline Cultist #3

• Scientist
  • Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 03:23:58 PM »
I can't speak for CptJake, but my own Ameri-centric ego hadn't realized the prices were in NZD.

I too had this quandary...it would be worth mentioning on your web site...
Zombies you can outrun - the mistakes of your fellow Heroes you cannot.

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 02:59:17 AM »
$50ND is 40$ Canadian dollars; a very reasonable price. I will keep watching your site, all you need to do now is post a in depth AAR (with lots of pics) so we can see how the mechanics work.

Cheers
 Damien

Offline tang99

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 07:16:30 AM »
Hi Damien,

There is a 14 page download, which is an extended AAR with charts etc on the download page. Try that, if you have any questions feel free to contact me through the website.

cheers
Colin

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 08:59:02 AM »
Looks very interesting.

But the $30 shipping costs to other side of the world don't encourage ordering the book atm, are you perhaps getting some distributor in the Old World?

Offline tang99

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 02:23:01 AM »
Postage -  That's NZ$30 approximately 15UKP for a 650gm package. That price is pretty standard from most places in the world. i.e. from Europe or from the USA

Check the online postage calculators, I did.

In terms of UK distribution start asking your local stores for the game and with us pushing from this end and you pushing from that end eventually it will happen.

in the mean time there is always the PDF.

cheers
Colin

Offline loki

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 08:09:24 PM »
Hello,

I have your rules and like them - I hope to play them soon.

A few quick questions and notes:

Why is an average ISAf soldier as expensive in points as an insurgent?
Because the ISAF have Body Armour and the insurgents not and Body Armour is a huge advantage.

Any rules for drones?

There a a few typos and wrong page numbers - should we post them here or PM?

Anyway Great Work  :-*

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 08:42:14 PM »
looked at the free downloads quickly  and theres some nice touches but dont like points in modern insurgent type games especially , equal sides just dont seem to happen but the mechanics look ok I may get these as a more in depth set than I already use .Will wait for more feedback but good luck ,and a nice laid out site by the way plus NO problems with the downloads as some one mentioned earlier so maybe that was just teething problems.

Offline tang99

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 02:10:03 AM »
Hi Loki,

Please forward any errors you find to me by PM, many thanks in advance.

I don't have the rules in front of me at present, but from memory its true the ISAF players have body armour  but they have to pay for 10pts for the basic body armour and helmet and are effected by its weight see the -2 off BODY.  So an Average Taliban is 25pts and average ISAF soldiers is 35pts with body armour and operates later in the round if they both have the same BODY ranking. I hope that helps.

Rules for drones and many other things will come out over time.

Thanks for the kind words.

Hello,

I have your rules and like them - I hope to play them soon.

A few quick questions and notes:

Why is an average ISAf soldier as expensive in points as an insurgent?
Because the ISAF have Body Armour and the insurgents not and Body Armour is a huge advantage.

Any rules for drones?

There a a few typos and wrong page numbers - should we post them here or PM?

Anyway Great Work  :-*

Offline tang99

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 02:15:00 AM »
Itchy  -  the points are there to help you decide what something is worth, we almost never play equal points games, you can if you like, hence the rules for it and it stops arguments if everything has a points value attributed to it. However, the game is about Narrative play more than my 500pts can defeat your 500pts.

The free downloads don't give the whole story, as we want you to buy the game but do show you the flavour of the game. I think you will be surprised if you buy a copy that points won't be a big issue for you.

Thank you for the kind comments.