Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:59:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690838
  • Total Topics: 118355
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Greek War of Independence 1821 in 28mm has anyone tried it..?  (Read 4082 times)

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877
Greek War of Independence 1821 in 28mm has anyone tried it..?
« on: January 07, 2013, 07:03:22 AM »
I wondered if anyone had tried to put together armys for the wars of Greek Independence, I am interested in attempts in 28mm.
Also if anyone has a spare copy of the rules Freedom or Death please let me know.

Cheers,

Geoff

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Greek War of Independence 1821 in 28mm has anyone tried it..?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 01:39:31 PM »
Hi Geoff

to your first question the answer is: Unfortunately No.

I have thought about it several times, but lack of dedicated figures at a start (and being impossibly unable to convert any existing figure) prevented me.

Some thoughts:
Ottomans:
existing ranges of napoleonic era ottomans can be used. Avoid janissaries since they were disbanded few years ago, before the outbreak of the revolution.

Greek irregulars:
Some Perry bashi-bouks (from their sudan range may be used straightforward.Command needs conversion to depict named heroes of the conflict. I do not know any range to make suitable figures for the the English light infantry raised for the Seven islands conflicts, to take their heads and possibly paraphernalia for some conversion.
Possibly (if you are not a purist) few Tiger balkan war evzones in 1897 uniform might be thrown in as for variety.
Those named as "Albanians" can be used.
A good option for conversion is to use figures with fustanella/tradional kilt with some ottoman headgear

Greek regulars:
1st uniform I think is very easy. English bodies with austrian helmets (ignore details) armed with brown bess.
2nd uniform, is the traditional dress, so see for the irregulars.
3rd uniform: is much more dificult. anyhow nopoleonics with shirt (most german units, jackets without flaps/lapels) and scratchbuilt fez can be made. Cavalry was in Polish uniform incl. czapka. The latter can be used till the ottonian period (i.e for the army of the new independent kingdom.

Philhellenes: Any campaing uniform may be used, mostly ragged. headgear from bicorns to german kaskets.
Greek priests: Russian orthodox priests, like those from OG in their Cossack range can be used.

Egyptian regulars: I think Redoubt (amd maybe some other) has Nizam-i-jedit i.e. the modern turkish army of the napoleonic wars can be used straightly from the box. Add a couple of French officers and voila you have your Army.

Hope of some interest to you.
More details if you need some (and I suspect you think to make some new figure range? If so, please PM me, might find info for you)

argsilverson

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 05:06:32 PM »
These figs from Gringos40 could be used as Philhellenes

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 09:35:03 AM »

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 09:38:46 AM »
Steve Barber does a range for Greek independence
http://www.stevebarbermodels.com/47-28mm-greek-war-of-independence

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 01:23:09 PM »
Yes, a friend and I sponsored the range

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 05:44:34 PM »
great page Shikpa..like the possible use of my Picciotto!! :D

regards
Ged
www.gringo40s.com
www.gringo40s.blogspot.com

Offline Christopher

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 08:13:35 PM »
Thanks for flagging the Gringo40 figs.  I'm always on the look out for suitable GWI minis. Steve Barbers are great, there's just not enough of them.

Offline davidmbrits

• Assistant
    • Zen & The Art of Miniature Painting
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 11:04:00 PM »
Geoff,

I must say that the recent release of Sharp Practice 2 has really got me thinking about putting together opposing forces for the conflict. Recent visits to the museums here in Thessaloniki haven't dissuaded me in the least. I think that the GWI is perfect for Sharp Practice with its emphasis on heroic leaders, I am thinking here of Pappas Flessas, Boubolina, Kolokotronis, and Plapoutas.

The Steve Barber miniatures are ideal for this, thanks for sponsoring the line. The nature of the conflict lends itself well to the skirmish scale and has a nice movie tie in feel for a more Hollywood-y game should one be that way inclined.

I'm not confident in assigning the various "units" characteristics myself, but I am sure someone with a deeper knowledge of the conflict would make short work of knocking out a list.

All the best,

David
Visit my blog: http://zenartminipainting.blogspot.co.uk/
Follow me on Twitter @ZenMiniPainting

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 11:41:12 PM »
I know my co-sponsor in Athens would have some good ideas, of course you also have the inter-clan rivalries as well as feuds. The skirmishes on the Islands are also good fodder

Offline Leigh Metford

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 04:42:55 AM »
Old Glory's Ottoman range contains some useful figures, albeit in packs of thirty infantry and ten cavalry. You'll find the most useful packs in the Long Decline half of the range, but be aware that it was sculpted by a different person (Pete Morbey? The figures are very Hinchcliffe in style) to the earlier part (Andy Cooper from West Wind, I'd guess).

Also, I believe that Brigade Games has some Bashi Bazouks, possibly sculpted by Paul Hicks (they use him a lot).     

Offline davidmbrits

• Assistant
    • Zen & The Art of Miniature Painting
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 09:46:03 AM »
Back from Thessaloniki, and I dug out my Principles of War 19th Century army lists to give a sense of what the various units might look like in Sharp Practice. This a 1828 list. I think that without too much hassle the PoW classifications can be converted to Sharp Practice.

Regular Foot = Line, of various quality.
Skirmish Foot = Skirmishers of various stripe.
Militia = Either Militia or Clan or Tribe, again depending on their role/origin.

I imagine that the Turkish list would be more Line Infantry heavy for the Redif and Nizam.

I am not at all an expert on this conflict, but I imagine this is an okay starting point. Sharp Practice is good in the sense of being able to tweak the list entries to suit over time and to the scenario as is needed.