Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:21:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How about LPL7?  (Read 22356 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: How about LPL7?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 08:25:08 PM »
In the 'LPL theme bonus rounds suggestions thread' I've updated the full listing of the 18 themes already used in LPL's 1 - 6.
In summary we've had:

World War II 
Halloween
Cthulhu
Conquistadors
Mad Science
Back of Beyond
Germans
Saddle up!
The Lost World
Conan the Barbarian
Zombies
Victorian Sci-Fi
Civilians and bystanders
Africa
Scenes from famous movies
Old Metal
The Worlds of J.R.R.Tolkien
Maritime/Naval

So please don't suggest any of those  ;)

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 08:55:47 PM »
How about:
Post-Apoc
Cops/Robbers (any time frame)
Zorro/Wild West
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 09:19:42 PM »
Suggest you add to this existing sticky...

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=18831.0

That thread includes a lot of ideas and suggestions we haven't used yet. 
(Perhaps people suggesting theme ideas could check through it before suggesting the same things again? ;))
Said and done. I've even compiled a list...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 09:25:03 PM »
How about:
Post-Apoc
Cops/Robbers (any time frame)
Zorro/Wild West

Thanks Johnno.
Feel free to check out the suggestions thread at http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=18831.0 and add them there if they don't already feature  :)

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 11:00:54 PM »
How does this competition work? From a newbie perspective.
Eric

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 12:20:18 AM »
How does this competition work? From a newbie perspective.

You can take a look at the previous rules like 6th, but to summarise the key elements and frequently confusing issues...

• Entries are sent by e-mail. You must send a picture (or maybe several) before the league starts to get in. Later you send stuff when you want to enter new stuff.
  • It's OK to stockpile even completely painted minis in advance as long as you don't show pics of them in any public places. Some feel it's more appropriate to take the iron man route and paint in "real time" but it's not required.
  • In every round, entries are paired against each other and there are a bunch of "which one of these two is more awesome" votes.
  • You get points for winning the vote, for the number of votes (even if you lose), for posting a new entry (never seen before), and for theme rounds.
  • In theme rounds you get bonus points for painting some specific stuff, but a non-themed entry is still fine. It just doesn't get that bonus.
  • Before the league, you're expected to spend a week or two scouting the acceptable limits of bonus theme interpretation. Most creative scouting attempts and the process as a whole will be ridiculed in a friendly manner.
  • An entry is 5+ models forming a consistent team. Terrain bits cannot be team members. Their opponents cannot be team members. People cheat like hell but we pretend not to care too much.
  • Many kinds of minis will do. We've seen 1/1200 ships, animals, monsters, self-sculpted minis, even space marines!
  • Physical backdrops consisting of impressive scenery are commonplace. Yep, this is a miniature painting contest a bit like Eurovision is a song contest. So provide props, dancers and fireworks if you only can. It's entertaining.
  • So is a witty team name.
  • Now really, beyond the initial requirements (last year it was three teams in advance), it's not obligatory to post new stuff every week. An old entry of your choice is recycled. It can still win the voting but it won't get the "brand new stuff" bonus points. And voters tend to prefer fresh goods. And painting 50+ minis is cool.

The rest is smaller details. Welcome.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:33:11 AM by Dolmot »

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 06:43:06 AM »
Cheers...think I understand

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 07:01:57 AM »
Eric, the Captain's summary explains the set up very well but as last year's LPL was the first I was aware of (I only really started to get involved in the LAF last year despite longer membership) I can probably give you a newbie insight! I really wanted to enter last year despite my painting skills. I was put off by the time investment required and the quality of work likely to appear. The quality issue was well displayed instantly. My form of primitive, wash reliant painting would have garnered only sympathy! However, by the end of the contest, having looked forward to every Sunday for the latest round, I sort of wished I'd entered just to take part.

The entries are amazing and as the Captain said the interpretation of the themes (and rules sometimes!) is of interest in its own. Composition of the figures, terrain and the story being told aren't necessarily what the contest is about but it looks fun to do and it seems to go down well. Perhaps this could be seen as exhibition space for the minis!? I wasn't prepared last year but would like a crack at it this year hopefully. I've seen your stuff, you should go for it! Cheers.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 07:42:53 AM »
You can take a look at the previous rules like 6th, but to summarise the key elements and frequently confusing issues...

• Entries are sent by e-mail. You must send a picture (or maybe several) before the league starts to get in. Later you send stuff when you want to enter new stuff.
  • It's OK to stockpile even completely painted minis in advance as long as you don't show pics of them in any public places. Some feel it's more appropriate to take the iron man route and paint in "real time" but it's not required.
  • In every round, entries are paired against each other and there are a bunch of "which one of these two is more awesome" votes.
  • You get points for winning the vote, for the number of votes (even if you lose), for posting a new entry (never seen before), and for theme rounds.
  • In theme rounds you get bonus points for painting some specific stuff, but a non-themed entry is still fine. It just doesn't get that bonus.
  • Before the league, you're expected to spend a week or two scouting the acceptable limits of bonus theme interpretation. Most creative scouting attempts and the process as a whole will be ridiculed in a friendly manner.
  • An entry is 5+ models forming a consistent team. Terrain bits cannot be team members. Their opponents cannot be team members. People cheat like hell but we pretend not to care too much.
  • Many kinds of minis will do. We've seen 1/1200 ships, animals, monsters, self-sculpted minis, even space marines!
  • Physical backdrops consisting of impressive scenery are commonplace. Yep, this is a miniature painting contest a bit like Eurovision is a song contest. So provide props, dancers and fireworks if you only can. It's entertaining.
  • So is a witty team name.
  • Now really, beyond the initial requirements (last year it was three teams in advance), it's not obligatory to post new stuff every week. An old entry of your choice is recycled. It can still win the voting but it won't get the "brand new stuff" bonus points. And voters tend to prefer fresh goods. And painting 50+ minis is cool.

The rest is smaller details. Welcome.

Priceless  :D

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 07:45:50 AM »
Having completed the LPL three times and going against Frank twice ( I lost lol),it' great fun,it does put a hole in the lead pile too,which is always good ;)
   So go for it!
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 08:28:59 AM »
@ Elk
I was part of the LPL6 last year and really liked it manymuch! If possible I will be in this year, too (though I originally tought not to, due to time and such).

But - what I wanted to say is ^^ - it is not only painting skills, what makes You win. Sure enough. The better Your painting, the more likely You will win, for sure, but with some (not so say many) pairings, there were also other skills which made the winner!
A funny title, a suitable setting, etc. ... really! Not just painting!

Anyhow ... it is just hilariously funny to be part of it!

best wishes
DK

PS
I checked my "Kram" - 6 gangs already ... they just need a bit painting ^^
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 12:34:44 AM »
I'd love to do it again. Had a blast, and I really looked forward to seeing what everyone did each Sunday morning. :)

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 08:56:21 AM »
Quote from: LeadAsbestos
...  to seeing what everyone did each Sunday morning. :)
haha! You're right here. It's weird and funny to know, that on a given moment You know, that all over world some 100s of people are doing the same thing at the same time ... *click* oohh!! *click* wow!! *click* uuuuuhhhh  lol

love it

best wishes
DK

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 09:17:18 AM »
Convinced - when is it happening ? What is the theme?

Eric

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 09:38:13 AM »
Yet to be finalised on both counts, Giles. Watch this space  :)