Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:05:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690838
  • Total Topics: 118355
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gothic Horror Terrain insperation needed :)  (Read 14833 times)

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
Gothic Horror Terrain insperation needed :)
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 12:33:00 AM »
Thanks for all the replies folks.   Loving the idea of washing lines,  now anyone have any ideas on how to make clothes?  :D  
Also cheers for all the places to find townsfolk and livestock.   I can feel a few chickens being added, the odd dog, maybe a drunk or possibly blind begger slumped against a wall.
A few carts selling wares with possibly a travelling 'Gypsy style potion seller'  mmmmm ok now I have loads to think about....awesome.

At the moment the boards only measure 4' x 4' and I am thinking of expanding by adding more boards to the layout.   Possibly adding a forest on the side of the river opposite the town with a woodcutters cabin.   Alternatively expanding more into the town adding more buildings behind with small allyways and shops.

the other option is to expand sideways and add a church and / or manor house to one side.   Even maybe a windmill with some corn fields.   Oh and love the idea of a scarecrow in a field and I have just the figure for that.

Definately needs more clutter I think.   because as Pappa Midnight said it does look kinda spooky being so empty.

Ok so cheers, plenty of food for thought.

Thanks a million  :)
Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 02:14:32 AM »
Thats excellent. 8)

You need crows. Crows, always there, up in those trees. Could swear they were watching us, waiting . . . . . . . .
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 02:52:50 AM »
One thing that popped up that might be an interesting add-on might be a rubish pile.  Tucked to one side with a few dogs or the odd escaped goat or pig rooting around.

I agree on corn and crows. Farmhands on the road side might work and perhaps a young couple off to one side, hoping to not be noticed.

Perhaps some sort of pole with many postings or some such on it.
-Eli

"I See Lead People"

Visit I SEE LEAD PEOPLE!

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 05:40:56 AM »
Incredible.  :D   The town looks like a real place not a miniature.  For my inspirational thought how about a watch tower (to keep an eye out for the headless horseman and some figures of course.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 07:57:53 AM »
Quote from: "fastolfrus"
Some trees

Or just a big gruff looking tree ?

Looks a bit Disneyland rather than New England in the fall, how about litter/rubbish/piles of horse poo ?

The new GW plastic trees would look spendid with that bord.

Offline Jules

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 08:06:48 AM »
yes trees infact a big scarey monster of a tree with lots of roots.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 08:13:33 AM »
How about:
a market cross in the square
A few market stalls
the public well
The pillory with or without a criminal
A gallows outside the town by the bridge
Or a ducking stool by the river
A tannery
A graveyard
The Ruined Tower that nobody talks about in the forest
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 11:09:23 AM »
It depends what effect you wish to achieve I suppose:

Lived in I would suggest wood piles and axes, washing lines, wheelbarrows, unhitched carts, odd scattered tools proped up against buldings, vegetable patches, the odd pig and shed in garden or chickens, geese, ducks etc.

Spookily empty I would suggest up-turned wheelbarrow with load scattered on road, similar for a cart.  Washing scattered on the floor beneath a half used line, doors left open, the odd broken pot with scattered contents, maybe up-turned tables with scatter, or a pub table with everything just left as it is with full cups and plates. How about an abandoned burial where the coffin has been dropped by tee side of the open grave (one arm hanging out).  A partially harvested wheat field with the harvest and tools just left scattered.  Just some thoughts...
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 11:38:24 AM »
Quote from: "TadPortly"
How about an abandoned burial where the coffin has been dropped by tee side of the open grave (one arm hanging out)

Abandoned burial, sure. But the coffin should be empty too...

(depending on what version of "creepily abandoned" you're going for, of course...)

Offline UncleRhino

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 11:46:23 AM »
I second the recommendation for the creepy looking GW plastic trees.  You might want to have a well somewhere.  A well is ALWAYS a good place for something horrible to lurk.  Maybe add a couple of more ramshackle looking homes for the "down and out" or something the like?  Hell, I don't know what else to add, that looks great as is.  

UncleRhino

Offline Whyatt Herp

• Assistant
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 07:32:14 PM »
What an outstanding piece of terrain. You have really succeeded in giving the spectator the impression, that this is a godforsaken place.....I love it :love: . Is for use with 25mm figures?
Whyatt

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 08:14:56 PM »
wowza... that's beautiful.
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2008, 01:46:12 AM »
Quote from: "Whyatt Herp"
What an outstanding piece of terrain. You have really succeeded in giving the spectator the impression, that this is a godforsaken place.....I love it :love: . Is for use with 25mm figures?

Cheers,

Yes its for 28mm scale figures.   Once again cheers to you all for your positive and encouraging responces.

Offline zebcook

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2008, 01:59:14 AM »
A town like that obviously needs an orchard of old and wasting apple trees with fading foliage.

A house in ruins on the other side of the stream (the one where the massacre occurred long ago).

The stocks in the town center.

And of course a dark and foreboding parish church.

Brilliant work!

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2008, 10:09:39 AM »
about the washing lines: I've never tried on one before (but I surely will next time for my Chinese laundry). I've got very good results so far with cellulose and cyanoacrylate. I've modelled horn bows and unicorn horns from that mix, and it really gets tough. My try on clothes would be to cut shirts and trousers forms from tissue with some extra tissue at the top. Then I'd glue it to the line with white glue and by rolling the extra tissue around the washing line. After drying I'd knit the result and soak it with superglue... Instant indestructible washing line laundry.

I've tried that so far with gauze bandages and kitchen paper to make camouflage nets and tarpaulin (is that the correct word for parts of tents?) on tank models. Just resist the urge to correct something once the cyanoacrylate is applied. You can still cut is with scissors after drying.

PS: I also use this techique to give bowstrings on archer models more durability
Far less active than I used to...