Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:20:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gothic Horror Insperation- Movies, Music etc  (Read 5036 times)

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
Gothic Horror Insperation- Movies, Music etc
« on: January 23, 2011, 01:29:04 PM »
I've been painting a some of my Gothic horror collection the last few days, and I've had music or movies on in the background. Now my question to all the gothic horror aficionados is what films/music etc inspire your gothic horror games?

I thought I'd start the list off

Movies

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)- for me this is the best Dracula film. Oldman is an excellent Dracula plus the story sticks pretty close to the original.
Nosferatu, A symphony of horror(1922)- well shot interesting movie, sticks close enough to the Dracula story to get it banned in America although diverges quite dramatically towards the end. Excellent movie, not my favourite but has a very special place in my heart.
Interview with a Vampire (1994)- Another well made vampire classic, quite different to many of the vampire films out that. Also takes an interesting perspective in that it's told prom a vampires pov and also spans around one-hundred years.
Shutter Island (2010)- Ok maybe not quite 'gothic horror' more 'call of cthulhu' but an interesting watch either way. Around halfway through the movie you start to examine the story wondering what is true and you're left guessing until the last 15mins.
American Werewolf in London (1981)- A black comedy, although its set in London it is not set in Victorian London, but this aside an excellent werewolf film!
Sleepy Hollow (1999)- Eerie happenings on the other side of the Atlantic, and Johnie Depps character has to sort it out. A good solid film in my opinion with some lovely imagery.
The Wolfman (2010)- Interesting film, not the best but it definitely has gothic horror on par.
The Hound of the Baskervilles (2003)- A BBC adaptation of Conan Doyle. I really loved this film, it was released around Christmas time and had a definite feeling of the old Victorian Ghost stories.
The Ninth Gate (2000)- Devil worshiping cults, magical books, and a flawed protagonist, all dealt with in a sensible believable way- what more do you want? Some people complained of the slow pace or the lack of action but this all added to the theme of the film for me.

Music
Not so many here, but soundtracks are always good.
Apocalyptica- A Finnish band containing 4 cellists who play very atmospheric music which at times borders on heavy metal.

Add your own suggestions,

Cheers
Andy

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: Gothic Horror Insperation- Movies, Music etc
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 02:14:02 PM »
I suspect there will be a chorus of individual items that will resolve into a central theme: Hammer Films of the 60's and 70's.  lol

Doug

PS I just recalled a few recent era Dr Who, particularly visiting Charles Dickens that had earnest intentions in this way. For a not-Victorian gothic horror, I thought the library episode was also effective.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:17:21 PM by The_Beast »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 02:24:16 PM »
I suspect there will be a chorus of individual items that will resolve into a central theme: Hammer Films of the 60's and 70's.  

Yep, the Best of Hammer with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, particularly the 1958 Dracula, my favourite along with Brides of Dracula and Dracula Prince of Darkness.

We often have Bram Stoker's Dracula soundtrack on whenever we play Gothic Horror games, it's particularly atmospheric.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 02:27:37 PM »
PS I just recalled a few recent era Dr Who, particularly visiting Charles Dickens that had earnest intentions in this way. For a not-Victorian gothic horror, I thought the library episode was also effective.

During the Tom Baker era they had a period when they were even more full-on with a Gothic Horror vibe, both in space and in Victorian London.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 02:33:15 PM »
When (late 1950's) I was young (full of my vivid imagination) and home alone for one of the first times after school on a grey rainy winter day I saw on our B&W (only kind then I think) TV the Wolf Man (1941 movie) - despite what now is seen as low tech special affects it scared me so much that for decades after I would briefly see in my mind the movie images every time I saw a full Moon on a cloudy night and shiver.   :o

I was so scared I couldn't get off the couch and turn off the TV.   o_o

Still can't watch most horror movies because of the dreams for days afterwards.   :'( 

Now scary themed music is good only I don't own any specific from movies.    :)  I think we have Night on Bald Mountain from Fantasia on VCR!   ???   8)  Maybe even on DVD!   :D

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Stavros Banjo

• Scientist
  • I despise normality
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 03:12:36 PM »
Apart from the original 1922 Nosferatu, which you've already mentioned, my favourite has to be the 1967 comedy horror "The Fearless Vampire Killers" directed by Roman Polanski. How could anybody fail to love such a cinematic masterpiece?  :D
...and what fresh new hell is this?

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 05:32:29 PM »
Okay, from Hammer you really must get the following:

The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
Dracula (1958)
The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
The Brides of Dracula (1960)
The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
The Gorgon (1964)
Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966)
Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
The Devil Rides Out (1968)
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
Hands of the Ripper (1971)
Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde (1971)
Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1973)

I'm not exaggerating when I claim that they're all damn good, though perhaps the earlier productions are slightly superior.

Other vintage non-Hammer films that warrant investigating are:

The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)
Witchfinder General (1968)
Cry of the Banshee (1970)
Blood on Satan's Claw (1971)
Vampyres (1974)
Dracula (1979)

Music-wise something moody like Sibelius is rather evocative, I think. Also the short stories of authors like Amelia B. Edwards, Ambrose Bierce, M.R. James, Sheridan La Fanu, Algernon Blackwood, William Hope Hodgson, etc, etc, are worth reading and perhaps convey more 'Gothic' atmosphere than any of the above-mentioned films.  Here is a link to M.R. James' short story Canon Alberic's Scrapbook* as an example of how good this literature can be.  I'm going to go and lie down now...

*Just realised there are some typos on this etext.  See if you can spot the first one!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:35:51 PM by Funghy-Fipps »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 06:29:54 PM »
The Vampire Lovers (1970)Hammer films is also good. As a bonus it's got Ingrid Pitt showing her boobies ;D

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 07:18:38 PM »
The Vampire Lovers (1970)Hammer films is also good. As a bonus it's got Ingrid Pitt showing her boobies ;D

I quite forgot the Karnstein Trilogy - The Vampire Lovers (1970), Lust for a Vampire (1971) and Twins of Evil (1972) - when I composed my little list.  As Malamute rightly points out The Vampire Lovers certainly boasts plenty of bums n' boobage (as does Lust..., come to think of it) and as such is also highly recommended (as are the other two, particularly Twins...)!  Incidentally, why do our discussions of Hammer films always degenerate into a slavering orgy of breast-worship?  I mean the latter Hammer films had, er, so much more to offer than female flesh like um, er, okay I'm going to shut up now.

Offline The Travelling Man

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 10:41:18 AM »
Stepping away from Hammer for a moment... I might add Brotherhood of the Wolf, Sleepy Hollow, Black Death (evocative but more 1342!), From Hell, the 1979 Nosferatu remake, Ginger Snaps Back (colonial lycans)...

I'd like to also see people's favourites as far as Gothic/Victoran/period horror novels...

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 02:45:13 PM »
For music, take a look at Nox Arcana and Midnight Syndicate are always good.
Also the soundtracks for Ninth Gate and Coppola's Dracula are wonderful for mood.
Also the soundtracks for Solomon Kane and the recent Season of the Witch.
"What exactly is a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"

RicharDISNEY

Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 02:53:52 PM »
Stepping away from Hammer for a moment... I might add Brotherhood of the Wolf, Sleepy Hollow, Black Death (evocative but more 1342!), From Hell, the 1979 Nosferatu remake, Ginger Snaps Back (colonial lycans)...

I'd like to also see people's favourites as far as Gothic/Victoran/period horror novels...

Not heard too much about From Hell any good?

As for books, there is the obvious Dracula. But poems and short stories by Poe are also pretty good. Of the top of my head The Séance by John Harwood- an interesting book. I'll see what else I can think of when I get home.

Interesting to see what others will suggest

Cheers
Andy

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 03:09:34 PM »
I suspect it will be hugely YMMV, but I rather appreciated From Hell. Hope you will as well.

If it helps, I also rather liked Brotherhood of the Wolf, somewhat less so but still enjoyed Sleepy Hollow.

I may have to track down Ginger Snaps Back; looked like dreck to me, but I can wade through dreck for colonial puppy boys. ;->=

As for why...Hammer, it's not like they capitalized, nay, DWELLED, on it themselves...  lol

Doug

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 03:43:59 PM »
For books I recently read Drood and The Terror, both by Dan Simmons. They had a nice Gothic feel to them and are both excellent books.

Not Horror but Wuthering Heights is good.

Movies: From Hell sets a great mood.

Gothic and Lair of the White Worm, though very wierd are good fun. Almost like Fearless Vampire Killers on hallucinogens.

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 03:49:16 PM »
I would add these ones to the list, some maybe not stricly gothic but quite "gothic horror" inspiring to me
-the company of wolves http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087075/
-Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0010323/
-The Body Snatcher http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037549/
-Freaks http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022913/
-M http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022100/
-Shadows and Fog http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105378/
-The Brothers Grimm http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0355295/ I found the forest scenes deeply gothic, maybe because I'm a Terry Gilliam's settings fan