Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:03:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689614
  • Total Topics: 118287
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Egyptian Infantry question  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
Egyptian Infantry question
« on: February 11, 2013, 04:35:15 PM »
Copplestone,s excellent Zanzibarian range would they double as egyptians - the uniform looks similar to me .

Offline twicethecaffeine

• Bookworm
Re: Egyptian Infantry question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 04:57:27 PM »
I in no way set myself up as an expert, but based on observations of my Perry Egyptian figures and looking at images on the web (whilst looking for painting tips) and assuming you are asking about the Egyptian army at the time of the "Sudan Campaign".
I think the Copplestone Zanzibaris have bare feet and I don't think the Egyptian regulars would have gone bare foot en masse.
Also I think the Egyptian army at the time wore "spats" which covered their ankles and the tops of their boots, where as the Copplestone figures wear their trousers loose at the bottom.

Other than that, I agree the uniforms look to be very similar.

Tim..

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 08:34:34 PM by twicethecaffeine »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 05:25:10 PM »
Note they are black Africans, so not your average "Egyptian" Egyptian, though there are plenty of black people in Egypt (and I've met a few of them, including a particularly ferocious Nubian witch-doctor, but don't worry, I sorted him out). They'd be fine as Sudanese troops from the Egyptian army in an isolated post far from supply and martinet parade-ground NCOs (explaining the lack of shoes), such as Emin Pasha's garrison that was cut off by the Mahdist revolt.

For Egyptian troops actually in Egypt somewhere near civilisation? Not so much.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 11:54:13 AM »
Gentlemen thank you both for such prompt and well considered replies , plenty of food for thought.

former user

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 12:39:22 PM »
if I may add a bit
it certainly depends on what "egyptians" you refer
The faces of the Copplestone Zanzibari look rather "nilotic" to me and they also have the slender built. It would appear that Copplestone wanted to relay the fact that Zanzibar was the main slavery hub and could employ soldiers from all over Africa.

Given that aspect they could very well fit into the mould of - soldier from poorer ethnicities in Egypt (and Sudan as a reservoir for soldiers in colonial Africa) also contrasting the classical ottoman uniform with higher Fez and longer tassle, as well as barefoot - so I agree with Plynkes here.
It also depends on where You want to use them, since they hardly would fit with the troops used in the Russo-Turkish war or the Maximilian adventure. I also can't tell about the percussion rifles used - I have something in mind that the Egyptians had rather modern armament
So there are some considerations here if You want to be very accurate - apart from that, the Zanzibari are certainly a good variation

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 01:05:25 PM »
It is pertinent of former user to bring up the rifles, as they do affect the issue at hand. Those Zanzibari figures aren't carrying percussion muskets, their rifles were British-issued Snider-Enfields, (basically Enfield muskets converted into modern single-shot breech-loaders). The Egyptian army used the Remington, which does look rather different, again reducing these figures' utility as proxies for Egyptian regulars.

However, the far-flung Sudanese garrisons of the Egyptian empire cared little for regulation and tended to differ from the norm back in Egypt. Sam Baker issued Sniders and also 'shotguns' (smoothbore muskets loaded with buckshot) to his Egyptian army troops as he thought these better guns for bush-fighting. So again,the figures are pretty usable as ragged, filibustering Sudanese in the wilds of southern Sudan and Uganda, not so useful if you want them for other duties.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 01:17:29 PM by Plynkes »

former user

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 01:39:04 PM »
wow :o

recognizing Snyder-Enfields on the miniatures!
I draw my hat!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 01:45:31 PM »
No, not recognizing Snider-Enfields on the miniatures.

More knowing that's what the Zanzibaris had, and the rifles Mr. Copplestone gave them fit that knowledge (a Snider just looks like any old musket really, even though it isn't one, quite a few of the first generation breech-loaders did).  :)

former user

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 02:08:12 PM »
Yea I know the theory but still  ;)
I have my problems telling apart Lebel carbine and MAS-36 when I see french miniatures, with all that 28mm distorted proportion stuff going on....
Anyway, good to know