Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:45:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Scatter Terrain  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
New Scatter Terrain
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:43:21 AM »
Having done a dozen feet of hedgerow and a new batch of fields, I wanted to do some rougher cover, and finally try some tree-building experiments as well.

I used the offcuts of 3mm plastic card I had leftover from other scenery building and small gravel to start. I wanted rough, semi-overgrown rock walls, and small gravel + Gorilla Glue does this beautifully. I used some 6" tongue depressors as well, for straight lengths of rock wall. Two passes with Gorilla Glue & Gravel will get you a rough wall that's about waist high on a 28mm figure. Heap the gravel up over your line of Gorilla Glue, then spray it down liberally with water - Gorilla Glue is water-activated.

After the gravel and glue, I built a couple of trees up with thick wire and hot glue. I didn't get any usable photos of this stage, but you build up a basic tree shape with wire, glue it down with hot glue, then build up the thickness of the trunk and major branches with hot glue. After that cools, slather white glue on the tree shape (and on the surrounding ground) and dump sand over everything. The extra loops of wire will support hedge pieces.

The three small rectangles are old credit card-sized gift cards from various stores that I ran lines of hot glue down to simulate plowed ridges then glued sand over; they'll make nice little kitchen gardens or small fields to fill in gaps between larger scenery pieces.

Scale provided by a Copplestone 28mm caveman. The tallest of the new trees is just over 3" tall; still fairly short but it won't get in the way either!

Basecoat is brown on most of the ground (a random mix of two shades of brown and a spot of black craft paint) and black over the rocks. I'll have to do a second pass of black over the rocks after the brown dries overnight.

The longest of these new pieces is about 8" long; the recycled gift cards are 2" x 3"; the three tongue depressor-based rock walls are 6" long.

Tomorrow it'll be touching up the black primer on the rocks, a bit of drybrushing on the dirt parts and on the treetrunks, then (depending on how fast the paint dries) the first of the flocking and groundcover. After that dries it'll be back to the hot glue gun to attach lichen to the trees and lichen and clump foliage to create hedge foliage.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Re: New Scatter Terrain
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 05:28:32 AM »
These got finished last week, and I just realized I forgot to update this thread... I'm also away from home for a few days, so instead of the full photo essay, I'm gonna do the old pic+blog link routine this time.

The wire & hot glue trees turned out nice and solid, and I used glue-soaked scenic foam for the smaller bushes.

Full article over on The Warbard!

I'm going to do another round of the wire-and-hot-glue trees, and this time I'll try to get decent close-up photos of the whole process!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 03:32:19 AM by Wirelizard »

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 07:35:07 AM »
That looks really effective. I like this a lot.

Who does the headstones visible to the rear of the shot?

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 03:00:43 AM »
That looks really effective. I like this a lot.

Who does the headstones visible to the rear of the shot?

Thanks! The headstones are one sprue of the Renedra gravestones, less one or two of them I'm saving for different basing.

I did a bit of a review over on my blog: http://www.warbard.ca/2013/02/13/renedra-gravestones-wip/ and http://www.warbard.ca/2013/01/15/renedra-generics-scenery-bits/