Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:02:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Random Encounters idea  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Bergh

• Scientist
Random Encounters idea
« on: March 07, 2013, 12:45:35 AM »
.....and possible something I will make a secret scenarios system of.

I was thinking about a Random encounter system for the game, where both the Agent and Lurker player get a surprise.
Actually its one of those thinks I miss in Strange Aeons, and its scenario system.

The Idea:
You roll or choose a scenario as normal, and calculate BP for the game, then there are several decks of "random Encounter" cards. put in different Tiers, like 5 BP, 10 BP and 15BP. This is the price the Lurker player pays for the secret card, actually its so secret both sides don't know what it does before its revealed. Any point left can be used on lurkers as normal for the scenario.

The Lurker player then write in secret, on a note of paper what specific terrain feature the card is associated with. Like the black house, patch of wood in the centre of the table or appropriate description.

The Lurker player can if he want too, at the start of his turn, AFTER nominations and IF there is an agent within 5" of that terrain feature noted on the paper, choose to reveal the card. Note: that this means that if the cards reveals a lurker model of any kind, it can't be nominated before the lurker players next turn, the Threshold player should have a chance of reacting before getting eaten....

If there is special exceptions to the rules, its noted on the card, and precedes normal rules.  

The Random Encounter Cards will often give the Lurker player an bonus for not having the freedom of choosing his lurkers, like getting a 7BP Lurker on a 5BP card. And maybe even the other way around. Like giving him a weak lurker in a very fortunate situation.

If I choose to develop the system I see a possibility of making whole random scenarios. what do you think of this idea? and oh please if you have an idea for a random encounter, please post it in the thread.

---------------------------------------------------
A couple of cards I came up with in a few seconds:

5BP: "DARK CEREMONY": Immediately put a Cult Leader and two Cultist in the center of the terrain feature.

5BP: "...MUST INVESTIGATE...OH MY GOD!!!": The terrain feature is immediately transformed into a "Scene of Horror", and worse the lurker players chooses one of the threshold models within 5" and puts it directly in the center of the Scene of Horror, as he was the one who could not resist taking a closer look.

5BP: "WHAT A STRANGE NIGHT": Lurker player choose two free Plot points (page 42 in rulebook), which will be in play the rest of the game.

10BP: "EVIL SOUL": Immediately put a Mojo ghost in the centre of the terrain feature and work out its Lost soul rule as it was the start of the game.      

10BP: "THE HOUND!, THE HOUND! IT'S COMING FOR ME": A fearsome Black dog of legend suddenly appears and its glowing red eyes fixate on the closest Threshold model. Immediately put a Daemonic Hound in the centre of the terrain feature. The particular Threshold model make a Resolve roll, if fails the models runs 3D6" directly towards the closest of the four table edges, if this takes him of the table he can't return until next game.

10BP: "SOMETHING IS NOT AS IT SHOULD BE":
Immediately put an Ancient Warrior into base contact with the Threshold model nearest the terrain feature, an undead being has come for his soul!. The Ancient Warrior will immediately make Close Combat action against the hapless agent. No Alert action/shooting is possible against the Ancient Warrior when he is deployed.

15BP: "NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD: Immediately put a Mob of Zombies (5 zombies) into the centre of the terrain feature.
If the terrain feature is by chance also a graveyard, part of a cemetery, mausoleum or anything in that genre, the Zombie Mob also counts as been nominated, and have two actions in the same turn its deployed! Scary indeed!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:52:26 AM by Bergh »
-Brian Bjerregaard Bergh

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
Re: Random Encounters idea
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 01:55:16 AM »
I thought of that to, say a portal is open and something comes through it.  :o

Offline cuchulain23

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 06:07:04 AM »
Good idea Bergh, I will have to think of some scenarios and put them here.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:54:04 AM »
This is a great idea, Bergh!

One of the best I have seen.
Brilliant!

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 10:59:53 AM »
I like the idea, it would make game even less predictable!

But the cards seem like they all benefit. In most cases, it is 1:1 or even better compared to what you pay and what you get in points. Add the "tactical" advantage and there is no reason for Lurker player not to buy those cards. Perhaps it should have some less advantageous effects as well, so it might get overpayed if luck is bad. For example, getting a less worth of models or those models being neutral, attacking the closest human model from both sides.