Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:56:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689767
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Warlord Conundrum  (Read 9046 times)

Offline Mo

• Mad Scientist
    • Oddman Productions
The Warlord Conundrum
« on: October 29, 2006, 02:33:27 PM »
I'm planning to use my birthday money next month on a set of figures to do some 'John Carter of Mars' games.

There are two excellent lines of figures available, and I keep bouncing back and forth about which one I want to pick up. I'm planning to run games based on .45 Adventure rules, so I don't need an army of figures. 12-15 figures representing several different factions, and a couple of monsters thrown in for encounters.

I happen to know that the lines don't mix well. First up is Bronze Age minis. The figures are bigger and more expensive. they are beautiful sculpts...

http://www.bronzeagemin.com/miniatures_html/25MM/SCI-FI/Red%20Men/Dead-Earth-imperials.htm

http://www.bronzeagemin.com/miniatures_html/25MM/SCI-FI/Wasteland%20Mutant/Wasteland-Mutant.htm

Next up is Parroom Station. Another great line of figures, with more choices available. They are closer to 25mm than 28mm.  I also have met the sculptor,
 and think he's a really nice guy.

http://www.thelondonwarroom.com/Parroom%20Station%20Miniatures%20Renegades%201.htm

http://www.thelondonwarroom.com/Parroom%20Station%20Miniatures%20Germ%20Plasm%20Page8.htm

http://www.thelondonwarroom.com/Parroom%20Station%20Ships%20and%20Critters%20pg.%206.htm#CRITTERS%20OF%20MAR

So help me out. Which line do you guys prefer?

Marc
Fantastic Worlds: Pulp Action in the Far Reaches of Space
http://oddmanproductions.com

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: The Warlord Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 03:06:36 PM »
Quote from: "Mo"

So help me out. Which line do you guys prefer?

tough...
i would say...
...Bronze Age!

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
The Warlord Conundrum
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 03:09:05 PM »
Bronze Age all the way. If you're only going to have small forces, and don't really need to be concerned abt the slightly larger scale, treat yourself to the BA stuff.
I've made a few purchases from them, and the models are  :love:  gorgeous. I bought the whole line of Greeks w/ some multiples, and David threw in a couple of gladiators for free as well.
Excellent minis, great service. (And their Green men are freakin' awesome!)

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
The Warlord Conundrum
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 03:37:03 PM »
Bronze Age minis ,of course 8)
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Tordenskjold

• Librarian
The Warlord Conundrum
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 04:06:56 PM »
I would say Parroom Station, their miniatures are just full of character! (Looks like I am in minority though...)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
The Warlord Conundrum
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 04:13:43 PM »
I would go firstly with Bronze age however if you are a lead junky like me I would then scale up my games and take the Paroom stuff too for larger battles :lol:

By the way nice stuff I am looking for Demons for Occult Wars and some of those aliens would fit the bill well

Many thanks

Karl

Offline Mo

• Mad Scientist
    • Oddman Productions
The Warlord Conundrum
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 04:24:24 PM »
Quote from: "Tordenskjold"
I would say Parroom Station, their miniatures are just full of character! (Looks like I am in minority though...)

I like the Parroom station a lot, too. Otherwise it wouldn't be a conundrum. With Bronze age I could field a set of red men and Green men. With Parroom I can spread out and do several of the races. Plus, like I said, I'd be supporting a sculptor I met and really liked.  That goes a long way with me.

Marc

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
The Warlord Conundrum
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 06:33:08 PM »
I always want my cake and eat it too, so I'd look for a way to get some of both, if they'd work at all. The Parroom Station figures are'nt so much 25mms as slender 28mms.

I especially like the four armed creatures by both manufacturers - I've only painted the Parroom ones. Would they work together, accepting that the Bronze Age figures are larger? (I keep being shorter than most men of my weight)

How about the humans? That Bronze Age  princess and hero look nice, but so do the Parroom 'Renegades of Mars'.

My own inclination would probably to buy some of both, and have a flexible approach to size. Sure, we know those city Martians are skinny! Sure, we know that harem girls are 6'2" ---
I do all my own stunts

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
The Warlord Conundrum
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 08:05:11 PM »
Hmmm... Parroom Station minis are nice, but seem to be all over the place, whereas this is the first time I´ve ever heard of the Bronze Age minis. And since they look to be at least as nice as the PS minis, I´d say go with BA, if just for the novelty factor.

Of course, their lineup appears far more limited.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Get Both
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 11:39:58 PM »
Both!

I just got my first Bronze Age Minis middle of last week.  They were fantastic.  The scuptor is fantastic, runs the whole business, and is very responsive.  I think the figures are a very great value for the money. The Dead Earth and Wasteland Mutant lines will be expanding.  There is a Yahoo group for fans which has more pictures, including soon to be released figures.  The sculptor sent me a couple of extra samples, one of them being a female Dead Earth warrior.  Whew!  I was sitting on the fence about getting into this genre myself, but I'm convinced that I should buy into it now.  After all, it's only money, and we should support art!

Don't see anything wrong with having Parroom Station minis as well.  People don't come in one size, so why should aliens?

Warren B.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
The Warlord Conundrum
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 12:09:13 PM »
If you want variety of troop types then  Parroom Station. I have loads of their stuff and it blends fine with Foundry, Westwind etc for VSF. But those Bronze Age figures are very nice! :?
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Mo

• Mad Scientist
    • Oddman Productions
The Warlord Conundrum
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 12:05:37 AM »
I think I'm going to go with the Bronze Age stuff to start. Like was mentioned, it's not that well known, but deserves to be.

Thanks for everyone's imput

Marc

Offline knoxville

• Mr. Happiness
  • Mad Scientist
    • ЯEAKTOR.MINIATURES
The Warlord Conundrum
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 07:00:23 AM »
mmmh Bronze Age  :love:

I was there the day that Horus fell.
ЯEAKTOR.MINIATURES

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
The Warlord Conundrum
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 07:57:32 AM »
Uhhhh, what´s that? The Warlord´s Harem? Nice, for once. Not so stupidly sculpted like some other manufacturers´ "pretty ladies"...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
The Warlord Conundrum
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 08:52:37 AM »
Oh my!

They look like they are sisters....  :lol: