Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:17:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: In Her Majesty's Name - the Blog  (Read 8098 times)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
Re: In Her Majesty's Name - the Blog
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 01:28:50 PM »
Just those game blurbs that don't have actual information of how it works. I'm all for kewl factor, but, as I said, you were ahead of me on promising examples that do explain. Sorry if it sounded like I was complaining about you at that point.
I've been seeing a lot of that on spaceship gaming posts (hello, my name is Doug, and I'm... a vacchead), and challenged Ed of Two Hour Wargames about it. Boy, has he come through!

...and so did you!

Doug,

You are welcome.

If you want a better idea of the sort of guy I am pop over and have a look at http://thegamesshed.wordpress.com/

I have been publishing free wargames and RPG rules for a few years now, and have gathered together an excellent group of collaborators. Collectively we call ourselves The Forge of War Development Group. Our best known releases have been the FUBAR range of one-page wargames rules, the Dead Simple RPG rules and the In the Emperor's Name (warhammer 40k) skirmish game.

Like you I hate those teaser battle reports, though I have some sympathy for authors who are trying to keep some of the magic for the release. Writing a happy medium between full disclosure and fluffy prose is really quite difficult.

We shall put a few more AAR's out between now and the release and hopefully they will give you an accurate of the fun, fluidity and character of the games as well as the endoskeleton beneath it.

Cheers,
Craig.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 06:39:51 PM »
No need; I'm a lurker on the Yahoo! group.

Doug

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 12:24:36 PM »
Sorry if I missed this: the figs and rules won't be available until May?

I'm considering taking the plunge into VSF but want to to be sure I understand when I'll have figs and rules in my paint-stained hands. (here in the US)

Thanks.

Offline KevinH

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 12:29:01 PM »
I'd quite like to see the figures in the flesh and try out the rules if possible before taking the plunge.

Will you guys be at Sheffield Triples this year or do you know if Wargames Emporium will be stocking it?

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 10:04:43 AM »
I'd quite like to see the figures in the flesh and try out the rules if possible before taking the plunge.

Will you guys be at Sheffield Triples this year or do you know if Wargames Emporium will be stocking it?

I'm afraid our only plans so far are to support Northstar at Salute. I understand your reluctance, but we shall be publishing a series of detailed AAR's in the weeks running up to the official release so hopefully these will help you decide.
You can find the first AAR here: http://inhermajestysname.wordpress.com/2013/03/13/the-stilbourne-incident-may-1st-1895/

Cheers,
Craig.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 09:18:47 PM »
Sorry if I missed this: the figs and rules won't be available until May?

I'm considering taking the plunge into VSF but want to to be sure I understand when I'll have figs and rules in my paint-stained hands. (here in the US)

As I understand it:
The first lot of figures -i.e. the four original companies, are available as of Salute (So 'Nickstarter' orders in terms of the figures will either be sent out then or can be picked up at Salute)

The rules come out in May, (so pre-ordered rulebooks will get sent out then)
And I'm thinking the spend reward figures and stretch goal figures will be ready from May onwards, so will be sent as and when they are ready... I think that also goes for the Scotland Yard Company...

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 10:43:25 PM »
Ahhh, Thank you very much.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 02:52:50 PM »
You got it right TheBlackCrane.

There is a new element to this. Osprey have suggested we might have copies of the rules by Salute. So we may be able to send out all the Nickstarter pre-orders with the rules.

The way things are going, we may also have all the reward figures and the Scotland Yard Company ready by Salute. We put May delivery to gives ourselves some room in case the figures don't come out as planned, fingers crossed we can get it all done by April 19th.

In case you don't know about the Nickstarter
http://nstarmagazine.com/IN_HER_MAJESTYS_NAME.htm

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 12:38:09 PM »
Craig and Meester Nick, we are planning to play a pre-Salute game of IHMN at the Nottingham Wild Geese club on Thursday. If we can get a decent camera / photographer, I don't mind writing up the AAR for wherever, it is a bit of a run through of the Salute game itself... ;)
Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 01:32:34 PM »
I don't know who these Wildgeese are, nor would I acknowledge them if they did in fact exist.  :-I

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 03:45:43 PM »
Craig and Meester Nick, we are planning to play a pre-Salute game of IHMN at the Nottingham Wild Geese club on Thursday. If we can get a decent camera / photographer, I don't mind writing up the AAR for wherever, it is a bit of a run through of the Salute game itself... ;)

Hi Grimjack,

That sounds jolly decent of you old chap. I'll PM you my e-mail address so you can let me have the AAR, then I shall post it on the blog [http://inhermajestysname.wordpress.com].

Cheers,
Craig.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 03:57:34 PM »
I don't know who these Wildgeese are, nor would I acknowledge them if they did in fact exist.  :-I

What he said.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 05:52:46 PM »
 lol

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 09:30:09 PM »
Well, bagsy me as actor Richard Burton, cos then i get to live - and execute Stewart Grainger - ok, I am not a goose, I am a free man!