Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:05:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689778
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cavemen  (Read 7740 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Reaper Cavegirls
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 08:50:53 AM »
Quote from: "bandit86"
reaper has two new cavegirls too.

http://reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/03303

Nice.

Only problem is that Reaper's newer figures take an age before the UK caster / distributor gets them. Like, up to a year behind the US release schedule.

And Transatlantic shipping from Reaper (I only did it once) was unaccountably expensive.  :(

Apart from that, I'd definitely like these two... And the jungle girl with the sabretooth cat, which still isn't available here in the UK, what - 8 months later?

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Cavemen
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 05:23:13 PM »
Quote from: Captain Blood
Quote from: "uti long smile"

The other thing people have said before when this topic has come up, is to use hairy barbarians - replace their axes and swords with clubs and so on. But I've looked, and there are only a couple of the ex-Grenadier, Copplestone sculpted barbarians whcih would possibly do, since the others all have elements of armour...  :(

I would just about kill to get my hands on the Grenadier Barbarians. I am here in the US, and there do not appear to be any stores carrying the Mirliton re-release...and shipping from Italy with the strength (or lack thereof) of the dollar right now, means practically a second mortgage.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
Cavemen
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 06:39:55 PM »
Sinewgrab - Aren't these them from EM4

http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Infantry.html

They've been carrying the old Grenadier\Copplestone line for years I think.
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Cavemen
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 11:14:51 PM »
Sinewgrab - Aren't these them from EM4

http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Infantry.html

They've been carrying the old Grenadier\Copplestone line for years I think.

You sir, are a prize. Now, if anyone can find me an American distributor...

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Cavemen
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 02:11:48 AM »

The main difference IMHO is that the Copplestone are more Homo Erectus and the Pulp guys look at lot more Neanderthal - so it just depends on your preference.

Actually, the Copplestone are more Cro Magnon (early Homo Sapiens Sapiens). The Honorable Lead Boiler Suit Company has the Homo Erectus (before Neanderthal - more ape like head) in its "Flora and Fauna" section.  Not a bad idea to have different groups of prehistoric peoples competing in a game.

I hope to try knicking out bits of metal spearheads on some figures (such as the Shadowforge females) to make them look like knapped flint.  But somebody else on this forum is likely to put that idea into execution long before I ever do.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Cavemen
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 08:03:56 AM »
Quote from: "warrenbruhn"

The main difference IMHO is that the Copplestone are more Homo Erectus and the Pulp guys look at lot more Neanderthal - so it just depends on your preference.

Actually, the Copplestone are more Cro Magnon (early Homo Sapiens Sapiens). The Honorable Lead Boiler Suit Company has the Homo Erectus (before Neanderthal - more ape like head) in its "Flora and Fauna" section.  Not a bad idea to have different groups of prehistoric peoples competing in a game.

I hope to try knicking out bits of metal spearheads on some figures (such as the Shadowforge females) to make them look like knapped flint.  But somebody else on this forum is likely to put that idea into execution long before I ever do.

Jeff Valent sells spriues of prehistoric weapons and Baueda does some nice large ones for their prehistoric Trogs too

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Cavemen
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 09:34:30 AM »
Quote from: "warrenbruhn"

:mrgreen:

Already done it... I converted the Foundry Darkest Africa 'Jane' into an extra Copplestone cave person - she fits in like a dream with the rest of them - and all I had to do was shave off little pieces of her panga to create a faceted flint blade... I can recommend her as a cave girl!

As well as EM4, someone else also seems to have acquired the ex-Grenadier barbarians. They were selling them at Salute in packs. Good thing about EM4 is that you can buy singles (which I did!)

I think Transatlantic shipping from EM4 wouldn't be too bad. They are very quick and reasonably priced. The figures are 1.00 GBP each, which these days , might be considered pretty good value, although I appreciate the dollar/sterling exchange rate doesn't make that quite so attractive for folks on the other side of the pond...  :(

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Cavemen
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 09:39:40 AM »
I have used some of the Foundry Ancient Germans as Cave men, notably the naked ones :)