Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:02:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690959
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Steam Traction!  (Read 3367 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Steam Traction!
« on: March 24, 2013, 03:37:21 PM »
Here is a link that features a lot of steam traction equipment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_tractor

I am fortunate to live close enough to Woodland, CA, to make the drive out to the museum there that has lots of pieces of steam traction.  Now, I'm hoping some manufacturers will create some useful models -- in 15 mm, please! -- of such equipment.  Ideally, I'd love to see it has bits and pieces we can buy and assemble into whatever we want.  (Of course, I suppose, they ought to do a few in that larger scale some of you like to mess about with   :D)

Pay careful attention to the fourth photo on the right on the link -- that is one use of the power take off.  Now put your imagination to work on other uses more suitable to our purposes.

Come on, you manufacturers, help me out!  And, remember, in 15 mm (or 18 if you must)!

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
Re: Steam Traction!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 03:54:49 PM »
I have seen diecast steam traction engines that looked to be about 15mm. Its been several years so I help you with who makes them, but you might want to try that first (is 1/64 about 15mm?).

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 04:19:55 PM »

former user

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 07:13:17 PM »
there are a few diecasts by the "model of Yesteryear"  brand and occasionally some comemmorative series.

I've never seen them in 15mm though....

Yes, steam driven farm engines were used up to the fifties, and yes the belts were made such that one could attach them to auxilliary tools - something that steam power excells in over combustion engines....

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 08:06:43 PM »
m-bill,

15 mm is closer to 1/100 or even 1/120.  I keep hoping to find something in 1/96th which would be close enough.

Appreciate all the replies.  Hope is a good thing.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 03:34:15 PM »
I think some of the pencil sharpeners are closer to 15mm...

There were some at the local church store. I'll take a look next Friday.

Doug

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 01:22:47 AM »
Here are a couple of 15mm steam tractors I have -

This one is an ERTL Thomas the Tank die-cast toy named Trevor -

There are a couple of others I have from this range as well. One is named Fergus and the other is George I believe. Even though I don't really get all that hung up on scales (to me, if it looks reasonable and not ridiculous, it works for me), Trevor fits seems to fit best with my 15mm miniatures which are by Essex miniatures.

This is a from the John Deere range of die-cast models, also by ERTL I believe -

Again, the 15mm miniatures is by Essex miniatures, albeit a conversion.

There is another model of an earlier tractor by John Deere that could work with 15mm miniatures. They occasionally pop up on eBay, but again it's very hit and miss on who will post what to where (I'm in Australia), and with reasonable postage charges.

Another possible source is http://www.langleymodels.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_TT_scale__3mm__Kits_NEW_Kits_57.html

I don't own any of these at present so I cannot say how well they fit in size wise and the HO models may also work.

All the best,

Barry

Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 03:25:04 AM »
How can life get better than having "A Beast" helping you find your new toys?  lol  Look forward to seeing what you find in pencil sharpeners.

And, Barry, wow, those are some cool models.  I will have to start hunting some down for myself.  That Trevor is exactly the sort of thing I am looking for.  The Langley 1:120 should work fine with 15 mm.  I hope to acquire some of those one day.

Thanks to you both for your input.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 05:45:12 PM »
Sorry, that beast experienced a massive fail; this weekend, the store only had two sharpeners left, neither appropriate.

Surprised me a bit; $1.50US apiece seemed high for a run on same at a very small thrift store, but there was a lot of them, and very varied.

More than a bit disappointed for my own collecting...

Doug

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 06:31:23 AM »
So, the Beast turned up a beastly result to his hunting?  Ah, so goes war.  Well, after some web browsing, seems part of the problem is that evil place, ebay.  Seems people are selling these pencil sharpeners for quadruple what some sites are selling them for.  Never ceases to amaze me how gullible people are.  I'm going to try ordering some from a semi-local source (California - same state but 500 miles away!) and see how they work out.  Looks like they might have a variety of other items of possible interest.  Thus your search was not fruitless for it planted a seed in me to hunt further.  Will advise of progress -- if I make any.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 01:59:39 PM »
...Never ceases to amaze me how gullible people are...

*blush*  A recent spell of Giallo-mania has proven that too well. When you pay more than instore Barnes and Noble prices... *shudder*

Still, sharpeners ARE a collectable, even though still produced, so demand will always vary wildly.

Quote from: FifteensAway
Thus your search was not fruitless for it planted a seed in me to hunt further.  Will advise of progress -- if I make any.

As many crazed notions as have intruded my solace from this dingus, it almost seems like payback, save I got the idea fairly recently,  on LAF, as well. ;->=

Do keep us apprised.

Doug