Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:54:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Eastern Front City Assault: Bolt Action Pictures & Battle Report  (Read 4740 times)

Offline Maniacus

• Bookworm
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
The following is a battle report and pictures from a game of Bolt Action our group played in March 2013.  We decided to base this game around a scenario instead of playing a mission straight out of the rule book.  

SITUATION:  
The Soviets are on the offensive and advancing ever further into a German-held city.  Russians forces in the center of the city are making their push to capture a vital bridge which lays just past the enemy’s defense lines.  Aware that a push could come in this area at any moment, the German defenders ready themselves to hold off the inevitable Russian attack for as long as possible and maintain control of the bridge.

VICTORY CONDITIONS:
Victory would be determined by which side was in possession of the bridge at the end of the game.

SETUP:
The German forces set up first anywhere within their deployment zone, which was an area that began just ahead of the river and then back to their own board edge.  They were also allowed to set up one hidden unit up to halfway onto the table.  The Russian forces would enter from their board edge in the first turn.   The scenario was played the long way (deployment zones based off the short table edges) on a 4x8 board.

SPECIAL SCENARIO RULES:
Preparatory Bombardment:  The Russians were given a Preparatory Bombardment that took place before the start of the first turn.  

Reinforcements:  To represent German reinforcements being sent to the area after the attack commenced, the German players would be allowed to “recycle” one unit of their choice (non-HQ and non-Armour) back onto the table from their own board edge after it was first eliminated.

The forces lists used were as follows:

SOVIET ATTACKERS
1  Veteran Junior Lieutenant (+2 Platoon Assistants)
1  NKVD Veteran Squad (LMG, 9 x SMG, Panzerfaust)
1  Regular SMG Squad (Captured Panzerfaust)
2  Regular Rifle Squad (LMG, SMG, Panzerfaust)
1  Inexperienced Rifle Squad (Free)
2  Regular Maxim MMG Teams (Gun Shield)
1  Veteran Flamethrower Team
2  T-34/85 Medium Tanks, Veteran Crews

GERMAN DEFENDERS
1  Veteran First Lieutenant (+ 2 Platoon Veterans)
1  Veteran Medic
1  Veteran SS Rifle Squad (Fanatics, LMG, 2x SMG)
1  Veteran SS Rifle Squad (Fanatics, Panzerfaust, Tank Hunters, Assault Rifles)
1  Veteran SS Rifle Squad (Fanatics, Panzerfaust, Assault Rifles)
1  Veteran SS MG-42 Team
1  Veteran SS Panzerschreck Team
1  Panzer VI Tiger, Veteran Crew

------------------------------------------------------------------------

An overview of the battlefield from the German board edge.

A view of the battlefield from the Russian board edge.

The German commanders talk tactics and enjoy a little schnapps and schnitzel while they await the inevitable Soviet attack in this sector.

The Germans set up in defensive positions in an area beginning just forward of the canal and on back to their own board edge.

One veteran SS unit sets up hidden within cover in the middle of the battlefield.  Equipped with magnetic mines and hand-thrown anti-tank mines, they are ready to ambush any Soviet armor that may approach down the main road.

The Russian preparatory bombardment causes a few pin markers throughout the German forces. Despite their cover in the ruined building, the bombardment also inflicts a casualty on the hidden SS unit.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 05:14:35 PM by Maniacus »
There's a time for joking around and a time to be serious; this is not one of them.

-------------------------------------------------

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/

Offline Maniacus

• Bookworm
Re: Eastern Front City Assault: Pictures & Battle Report
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 04:15:05 PM »
Part 2

As soon as the preparatory bombardment lifts, the Russian attack commences and their forces move forward towards the enemy.

The German defenders train their weapons and lay in wait for clear shots on the approaching enemy.

The Russians make a strong push up their right flank, supported by one of their T-34/85s

Seeing the Russian strength on that flank, one of the SS units rushes forward to cross the canal and reinforce that area.

They are soon joined by the German command squad.

Meanwhile on the Russian left flank, the other T-34/85 drives forward past the ruined church with infantry in support.

The Tiger moves out to counter the T-34 near the church.

The Tiger gets off a shot at the T-34/85 first, but it fails to connect.  The return fire from the T-34 manages to immobilize the Tiger and start an engine fire.

Offline Maniacus

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 04:16:01 PM »
Part 3

Under covering fire from the Maxim MMG and the T-34/85, the Russians continue their advance on the right flank.  They engage in a prolonged firefight with the SS unit and command squad that are now stubbornly dug in amidst the ruined buildings.

A panzerschreck team rushes forward from their position by the bridge and takes cover in a shell hole, hoping to eliminate the T-34/85.  Their repeated shots aren’t able to slow down the armored beast.

On the other side of the main road, the hidden SS unit leaves the cover of their building and gets the drop on an advancing Russian SMG unit.  After the smoke clears from their assault rifle volley there is nothing left of the SMG squad.

After destroying the SMG squad, the SS unit repositions and prepares to launch another attack.  But a Russian flamethrower team sees their chance for revenge and runs forward from behind a nearby building to unleash a horrible torrent of flame toward the enemy. The inferno causes several casualties and the unit flees the battlefield in terror.

Back on the right flank the Russian casualties mount while they continue pouring fire into the stubborn German defenders, but can’t seem to dig them out of their cover.

In a bid to break the stalemate, a T-34/85 crashes forward through some fences and low stone walls and opens up with it’s LMGs into the enemy.

The Soviet NKVD unit seizes this moment and sprints forward, launching a close assault on the panzerschreck team in the shell hole.  The two Germans are no match for the SMG armed Russians and they are quickly destroyed.

Spurred by their success, the NKVD unit keeps moving forward and launches another successful close assault on the German MG-42 team in the nearby machine gun emplacement.

The NKVD squad sprints forward yet again to claim the bridge in the final game turn.  Despite sustaining casualties in their two close assaults and from the desperate fire of a several German units during the final turn, they hold on and maintain sole control of the objective.  Per the scenario victory conditions, this gives the win to the Russians.

Final views of the battlefield at the end of the game.

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 07:42:48 PM »
Nice battle report and great looking board.Thanks for that.Just getting into the Bolt Action rule set.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 08:15:29 PM »
Wow, great looking board and looks like a great game!

I want to make love to those display cases! No, not really. Did you make them or buy them? I LOVE THEM! I WANT THEM! PUT THEM IN YOUR WILL TO ME! Serious, let me know if you made them or bought them.  lol
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Online aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
Re: Eastern Front City Assault: Bolt Action Pictures & Battle Report
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 04:29:49 AM »
Brilliant stuff  :-*

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Eastern Front City Assault: Bolt Action Pictures & Battle Report
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 09:59:24 AM »
A gripping battle report! Personally I think the Russian player got lucky with his tanks, but never the less it was a close run thing. Thanks for sharing the report.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline m4jumbo

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 05:21:57 PM »
Wow, great looking board and looks like a great game!

I want to make love to those display cases! No, not really. Did you make them or buy them? I LOVE THEM! I WANT THEM! PUT THEM IN YOUR WILL TO ME! Serious, let me know if you made them or bought them.  lol

Thanks for the comments.  The cases are from IKEA, 3 of the Billy bookcase (31.5" x 79.5" each) with the optional glass doors and glass shelves.  A great find that fit perfectly for what I needed in the gaming room.
So many games, so little time.
-----------------------------------
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/index.php?act=idx