Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:54:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: any interesting tricks for playing solo?  (Read 4008 times)

Offline smonkey

• Lurker
any interesting tricks for playing solo?
« on: April 19, 2008, 08:13:21 AM »
Since we all know that now and again one feels the urge to try out tactics solo (or perhaps one doesn't have  a worthy opponent) solo games come up now and again (and again and again for some of us).

Does anyone have any interesting techniques or tricks they use to give the game more spice?

I've been working up a deck of cards that I call "The Brain"  to simulate the whims of an opposing player.  Most are simple things like, move towards cover or, attack the most obvious goal/target even to the death.

It makes for more entertaining situations, like when the british unit decides it really really really wants to be in those trees over there even though the machine gun is covering the ground they have to cover.

Anybody else have an odd tool for this task?

nat

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 08:35:35 AM »
Well Nat,

I never thought about solo rules because we have a pretty large gaming group.
But I must say you came up with a very tempting and  interesting task !

I would like to hear more from your ideas about "The Brain" !

Björn
, ,

Offline Maldegen

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 06:05:48 PM »
Great idea, Nat.

Although I regulary meet with my game companions I'm sometimes "in the mood" for a solo game. Especially with T&T it would be a good thing since I'm still painting my DA figures. So I could do a nice solo games each time I finish another unit.

Do you like to post some of your "Brain" cards here?

Cheers, Ralf

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 07:51:49 PM »
I like your idea very much. You could fine tune the cards by making two or three different heaps of cards. Depending on  the situation you might have an offensive deck, a defensive deck etc. That way you could prevent some really stupid comands.

I also always enjoy encounter tokens on the battlefield. Björn, Grim and I used them in a really enjoyable battle a few weeks ago. Again, modify theses encounters according to your scenario. Anything from a "sniper attack" (maybe in the form of a poisonous dart) to booby traps/mines but also some positive effects (dense undergrowth providing extra cover) come to mind here. This creates a completely different dynamic than an open battle.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline smonkey

• Lurker
My basic "brain" outline
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 03:53:00 AM »
So this is the basic outline of what I've been trying and a few cards I've run.

Its sorta based on the game mechanics of "Arkham Horror", where each card has 3 or so different events and by mixing them around you get a pretty random selection.

I haven't tried more "scenario" type things like sniper attack or trap or giant trantula or the like but I think that'd be a great idea.

nat

The Brain
Each card gives a unit a short term goal.
Once that goal is completed they get another card.
If a given unit takes more than 25% casualties they draw a new card.
Once a unit reaches an objective the unit holds until a card tells them to move on.
Sometimes you have to sorta cheat it to make it work.

Some cards have special orders for heavy weapons.

Advancing: this is moving towards an objective but before this unit has fired or been fired upon
Engaged: This is still moving towards an objective but once this unit has fired or been fired upon
Holding: This is once a unit has reached an objective.

Objectives are usually determined by the scenario.  An example of an objective is "the temple" or perhaps "the gate"
or "the ford in the river".

Advancing: Flank right from soft cover to soft cover until engaged.
Engaged: Attack nearest enemy unit.
Holding: Stay here firing at most powerful enemy unit, or heavy weapon if within range.
Heavy Weapon: Fire at enemy's hero/leader unit if possible, if not fire upon largest unit.

Advancing: Flank left to first hard cover.
Engaged: Attack smallest enemy unit within range.
Holding: Move on to next objective.

Advancing: head down the middle from soft cover to soft cover until engaged
Engaged: advance to charging range and then charge nearest enemy unit whatever the size.
Holding: Move to hard cover that has oversight of the objective and fire on any enemy units approaching

Advancing: Flank right until engaged.
Engaged: retreat to nearest hard cover.
Holding: advance to next objective (if no more objectives fire at weakest unit within range)
Heavy Weapon: move to nearest hard cover within range of objective and engage enemies holding it.

Advancing: advance through soft cover until you engage, exchange fire for one turn, then retreat out of range and flank around enemy unit.
Engaged: fire one more turn then retreat out of range then flank left.
Holding: advance to next objective but draw new card at next hard cover
Heavy Weapons: advance without engaging enemy as fast as possilbe to highest ground within range of enemy.

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 09:01:13 AM »
For those who want to try out the card system above without having too much work done, please feel free to have a look at my card driven hexbased rules:

http://www.tsoa.be/html/fuseliers.html

(Testing or playing solo) under these rules is done by playing each side and picking the 3 chosen cards for the given situation & planned action at hand from that side's "hand".  Placing the cards text side up next to each other, I then cast 1D6: 1-2= card 1, 3-4= card 2 & 5-6= card 3.  This avoids "taking side" in a very simple way.

Using my cards for another game system is easily done by replacing the hex game mechanics by whichever system you favour by just retaining the orders given by the card(s).

Rudi
do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/

Offline smonkey

• Lurker
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 03:42:11 AM »
wow....
good system and
so nicely done!

mine are in pen on index cards

one even has a stick figure illustration with arrows.

I'm jealous!

nat

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 05:55:42 AM »
This is indeed very impressive !
Wow...and all periods covered  :)

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 07:16:55 AM »
Thank you, it's nice to be appreciated.  I've been chewing on a "small action" semi-skirmish system (along the same lines as the other rules) for the last 6 months, using heroscape tiles for terrain.  The final (Dark Ages) version is now ready for playtesting.  I started with DA because of the limited types of arms (and ranges) in that period.  I'll post again as soon as we have taken it a bit further.

Rudi