Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:11:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: VBCW BUF HQ Staff  (Read 4162 times)

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
VBCW BUF HQ Staff
« on: April 25, 2013, 09:50:16 PM »
After a slight break from painting I have finally finished my BUF headquarters staff. Really enjoyed painting these......more to follow....

Regards
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
Re: VBCW BUF HQ Staff
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 09:55:41 PM »
They look great!
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 11:10:18 PM »
Very nice :-* :-* :-*
Really like the dirty effect on the flag.

Offline Hussar072

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 11:31:05 PM »
Very nice indeed, I really like the flag!
Padraig

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 11:36:27 PM »
I also like the stubble on the guy on the left.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 01:29:55 AM »
Very nice Pappa Midnight.
You never fail to please...
 :-*

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 11:36:54 AM »
I like them too and the flag looks awesome... I hate to be the bad guy though, but the symbolism of the Eagle and the BUF 'flash in the pan' symbol could be construed as 'Nazi-like' or associated symbols under German law and which we are prohibited to allow to be posted on this German hosted site.

Editing the photo by 'whiting out' the symbol, or presenting a new photo, where the symbol is mostly obscured, so as to be less obvious, would be acceptable, but as it stands it's a no-no and I'll regrettably have to remove it if it isn't changed.

Turning the standard bearer more towards the camera should do the trick.  ;)

I know the law can seem a real drag to us non-Germans, but they also have strict beer purity laws too, so its swings and roundabouts.

:)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 11:39:16 AM by Arlequín »

former user

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 11:51:24 AM »
Hi
no intention to challenge the moderator on this topic, but the eagle with the swastika replaced by another symbol doesn't fall under the prohibition for Nazi symbols, as a lot of war decorations containing the eagle had "de-nazified" versions available to wear in public for veterans after the war that had the swastika removed.
You can clearly see here an entry from the LPL3 2009 that contains a similar symbol and was not objected

all without challenging Your decision, but it might be not necessary...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 11:54:47 AM by bedwyr »

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 01:02:31 PM »
I actually chose to do the "de-nazied" version with a white flash for exactly that reason. I looked carefully through the leglislation to do with symbols and thought it fell outside the problem ones. The BUF symbol isn't one listed as a problem one. I don't, however, wish to upset anyone.
As moderator I fully respect your decisision and if you deem it necessary I will alter or remove the image.

Regards
PM
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:24:11 PM by Pappa Midnight »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 01:56:11 PM »
I've no problem being challenged guys... it's 'Moderator' and not 'Forum Cop' after all.  ;)

Ultimately though our opinions and reading of the law are meaningless should some upstanding citizen make a complaint under § 86a StGB (S2) over an image which contains "Symbols which are so similar...". It would be down to the Prof as forum owner and a couple of high-priced lawyers to debate the matter. There is actually no exhaustive list of such symbols as such and each one is considered as cases arise.

That being so, I'll let the Prof make the decision on this, as it's his ass that would be in the sling.

I'm no expert myself, hence the use of 'could' and requesting the changes, albeit with the threat of removal.

:)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:01:41 PM by Arlequín »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 03:50:46 AM »
In other news, the figures themselves are great. Been waiting to see what you'd have in store for the BUF infantry!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

former user

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 06:43:04 AM »
Yes, good hint. :)
Indeed cool PJ.
@Pappa, I wanted to ask, out of curiosity, why You chose the eagle? The well known symbol is actually derived from the german imperial coat of arms, and even if the 1944-1945 art deco style is characteristic, it was german before and german after  (which btw is obviously the reason why it can't be outlawed, but we dropped that topic).
So a british unit with that animal in the coat of arms I would rather identify as some german legion in british service, like the Nazis had several "national" units in their organization, and the British Free Corps with a Plantagenet badge.

Would a lion or something not be more appropriate? or a dragon?
I must say that I found the boar in the Richhard III movie very convincing.

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 09:34:01 AM »
The choice of using the eagle was a bit of an odd one. Strangely enough although it is based on the German one (for that period look) it was meant as more of a nod to the Roman Legions. There is a small "IX" under the eagle representing that. Maybe I should have used one with its wings down rather than the more stylised one.
One of my other flags has an image of Britannia with the BUF flash on her shield which I quite like but I'm reserving that for my cavalry unit.
Regards
PM

former user

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 09:41:46 AM »
oh, now I see it

I understand - of course the primary reference of the eagle is the roman aquila, it is not reserved for Germany (besides Austria and Russia using it as well)  as neither is the Art Deco style. In an alternate universe it can well imply the grandeur of the roman legions, I see...

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 06:24:44 PM »
It's like I always say... never trust a country that uses an Eagle for their logo...  ;)